40+ and building a community of support!

Options

Replies

• Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Please add me! I'm 41 and have more than 50 lbs to lose. Thanks!
  • ShellyShuey
    ShellyShuey Posts: 162
    Options
    Me too -- I'll be 45 this summer and I've lost 30 lbs over the last year.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    44 next month. Count me in! I'll send you a request.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    45 in October. Happy to join and friend anybody. I am always interested in what others are doing to maintain or lose their weight.
  • cyrka2012
    cyrka2012 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hi, would loke to join this group. I started my weight loss journey almost one year ago and luckily found MFP about five months ago. I have been logging daily as my goal was not only to lose weight but to learn how to eat properly and live a healthier lifestyle which included some form of exercise.

I am half way to my goal and it would be terrific to have a group of supportive people to share the journey,
  • runningcats
    runningcats Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    49 and happy to join in here. I'm on my last 16 pounds (lost 30 already) and am always looking for additional support - either to give or get! Feel free to add me.
  • KANSASGIRL69
    KANSASGIRL69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    count me in!
  • sammilou68
    sammilou68 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi, I'll be 45 in August and just started with the app 6 days ago although been exercising since last year. I lost 70lbs 5 years ago but 30 crept back on. Since exercising I have lost about 15 and have about 30 to go. Would love to join this group but like so many others not sure what to do. Help! :blushing:
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. I have a small group of friends and only one responds to me regularly (though two do nice daily support posts). I log in daily (though sometimes at Midnight so I've lost my days and they've been restarted) and feel like I should support all my friends for their accomplishments as well (this weight loss stuff ain't easy!).

I've had a couple back surgeries and ongoing chronic pain from nerve damage, so I'm not able to work out like I'd love to- boy to I miss hitting free weights! I'm taking working out slow and have both a treadmill and a recumbent bike (the latter is the one thing I was able to do without flare ups in physical therapy and I managed to get a great deal on it). I can say from the 23 pounds I've lost so far, I can already stand and move better than I was able to at my highest weight. My back fusion is when I quit smoking and put on all this weight, as I needed to wait for the fusion to be solid (bone to grow back) to get the hardware out, so for a year I couldn't move and likely ate each time I was craving a cig! It's been 5 years since all that and I want to be the strongest and healthiest me I can be in the hopes of improving my situation and how much I can do.

Feel free to add me if interested in being friends. :)
  • Rena42
    Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm 42. Count me in too! It looks like there is already a nice group of people here. The more friends, the merrier!
  • harley1968
    harley1968 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    There does seem to be a nice mix of people here to help each other with support and motivation, good luck everyone with their weight lose :smile:
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am in, I am 44 and this support network sounds perfect...
    feel free to add me as a friend, more friends = more support :smile:
  • ocsoanita
    ocsoanita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and would like to join - I'm halfway for loosing 20 pounds. I1ve been here on MFP for a month and really like the ideas and support I can get here. I wanted to join a group so this is the best chance for me! Shall I do anything else to join?
  • wahelga
    wahelga Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 46 and a third of my way to goal (9kg down, 20kg to go) and am an active user of this site. I like to hike/walk and that's my main exercise though I do also drag out the bike occasionally. Feel free to friend me.
  • flyingkiwi747
    flyingkiwi747 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria, I would be please to join your group I have just started this week and have 60lb to lose. I am 66 years old and live in New Zealand. Jeanette
  • vikdubbs
    vikdubbs Posts: 13
    Options
    WOW!! I have been overwhelmed with support. Thanks everyone. I forgot to come back to this message board after I posted this request.... I rec'd a lot of friend requests (I have plenty now :smile: ) Now we all have support from others in our age group (since we all know that in our 40's things change.... ). Support from others in our "peer group" is going to be quite helpful I think. I have been doing well so far... still learning some things.

My challenges so far: Trying to stay within my goals for each category, while trying to eat from each food group (the appropriate amounts i.e. Canada Food Guide). Sugar is high because I am trying to eat a lot of fruit - time to cut that back down to three servings a day and up the veggies will be my next challenge.

I am a vegetarian so Protein is always a challenge - I don't eat fish or chicken either so that is not an option for me. I don't want to eat Tofu/Soy all the time because that has a lot of drawbacks too. Good grief, so many obstacles. I am figuring it all out though. It sure helps to see what everyone else is doing - I get great ideas!!

I wanted to mention a tip I rec'd from my dietitian was to take a FREE day each week (it is not likely you will ruin or gain anything since 1 lb = 3500 calories and its not likely that you will consume that in a day just because you don't track things). Another great tip is (this one is especially for woman) to only worry about weight check in's once a month (beginning or end) because our weight goes up and down all month long - the comparison should be around the same time each month instead of yesterday to today. Water retention etc... is a factor so when you go up 1 and down 2 then up 2 and down 3 etc... that is not a real reflection of weight lost/gained.. you can step on the scale each morning if you want but track it based on the same day as the month before.

Hope these tips helped some of you - I know they made a huge difference in my life.

We are all in this together so let the summer bring us more smiles of our own acceptance and less disappointment when we we have a glitch.

LETS DO THIS!!!

Happy Beginnings
    Happy Journeys
    and most of all
    Happier lives ahead!!

vikdubbs (Viktoria)
  • fitfiftiesw8
    Options
    Count me in. Just started - have 60 pounds to lose, I will take baby steps and am planning to get there by June 2014. I will add you (if I can figure out how :smile: ) .
  • bkperkin
    bkperkin Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey 40+ group,
    I'm 43 and need to lose 100 lbs.+. Count me in! How do I join?
  • KathleenLM
    KathleenLM Posts: 1
    Options
    Never thought I would say this, but . . . I want to be a LOSER! :) Count me in! I have made up too many excuses for too many years. Now that I have some serious health issues, it's time to take it seriously. I would like to lose 45 lbs but could really lose 55. I think this group could help. Thanks!
  • bublita
    bublita Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm in!

thanks for starting the group! I would love to be a part of it.