What do you put on popcorn??

Options
Katerbels
Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
Popcorn has and will always be one of my favorite snacks, I could eat buckets of it. However, I make it in the microwave in a paper bag so it is very dry and rather bland when popped...and salt or other dry toppings don't stick to it. What do you use to top your popcorn without adding mega calories and fat?

Replies

• HeatherRyann
    HeatherRyann Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My fave is nutritional yeast. It wont stick very good though. Sometimes I spray my popcorn with a little nonstick cooking spray then add my topping to help it stick a bit.
  • jmbond06
    jmbond06 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I buy Kernel Seasons (Nacho Cheese flavor is my favorite) and add that to my popcorn. I usually spray it with a tiny amount of cooking spray or butter spray so that it will actually stick to the popcorn.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i also use butter flavor nonstick cooking spray, or the refridgerated spray butter if my points are low, but because id rather have some protien/fat with my carbs, i usually use butter.

anywho, either spray will get your dry ingredients to stick, we use splenda/cinammon mix or garlic salt for our dry ingredients.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I also love popcorn! I whisk a little EVOO with sme salt, pepper, chili powder and garlic powder and toss that with the popcorn.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce........
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Popcorn has and will always be one of my favorite snacks, I could eat buckets of it. However, I make it in the microwave in a paper bag so it is very dry and rather bland when popped...and salt or other dry toppings don't stick to it. What do you use to top your popcorn without adding mega calories and fat?

Well, my favorite is salted butter--but of course, the fat and calories--I don't even do it--often.

However, I cook mine in a Stir Crazy (I got it as a gift, otherwise I'd still do it on the stove in a pot--though I didn't count calories back then and am not sure how much oil is needed in a pan) with like 1.5 tablespoons (22.5 ml) oil and it works out to be 40 additional calories and like 3 g of additional fat. I don't think it's too crazy since those values are for 4 cups (1 L) of popcorn.

At that point I put a little seasoning from the cupboard... garlic, chili-lime... whatever I'm feeling. When it's fresh and hot out of the popper there's no issue with enough of the seasoning not staying. (And a lot of the time I eat it plain naked!)
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Brewer's yeast. I think it's different from nutritional yeast. Yummy.
  • El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Sliced jalapeños.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I cook it in the microwave in a paper bag too - I put a tiny bit of olive oil (just enough to lightly coat the kernels and some salt - that way you get salty popcorn with a light flavor and not a lot of calories.
  • jmbond06
    jmbond06 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I usually have it plain because I really like it that way, but sometimes I'll drizzle sriracha over it. Delish!
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    0 cal butter spray and kernel seasons white cheddar
  • ZmXg
    ZmXg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I put season salt on popcorn. I think it's primarily used to season french fries but someone told me to try it and I'm glad I did. If you like really salty snacks and such that would be my recommendation.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Taco seasoning
  • CAS317
    CAS317 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce........

Yes! I second that hot sauce!!!
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Brewer's yeast. I think it's different from nutritional yeast. Yummy.

Just checked: Brewer's yeast is the same thing as nutritional yeast. Now I know what I'm having for a snack tomorrow.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    nothing
    i eat buttered(its already on there) microwave popcorn- rarely
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sensa!

LOL j/k, jalapenos :)
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I love my popcorn! I cook the kernels in a pot with coconut oil then sprinkle salt on it when done popping
    Yummmy :)
  • Blacksunshine1
    Blacksunshine1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce...