Clueless people in the gym

Options
bostonwolf
bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
I noticed the other day as I was working out that of the 10 or so people I saw lifting weights, only eight of them (myself included, of course) appeared to have any idea as to what they were doing. By this I mean using proper form, avoiding machines, etc. Seems to me like my gym could be doing their members a favor by just stationing a trainer over there whose job is to show people how to do things correctly in order to avoid injuries and loss of motivation because they aren't getting the results they expect.

I've done a lot over the years to try to educate myself on how to do things right in terms of form, and I think that is why I've only been injured twice in 20 years of gym time. Seeing people get all fired up about squating their body weight and then doing about 1/4th of the squat motion and calling it a set can be kind of annoying after a while.

Also, every Smith machine should be taken outside and put out of its misery.

And don't even get me started on people who text between sets in a gym that has only two squat racks.

OK, rant over.

Replies

• hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wait. What's your problem with a smith machine?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Gyms make most of their money from people who pay every month but never show up.
  • kidtachyon
    kidtachyon Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use both machines and free weights - whatever I feel like doing.

And if the other people are not in my way, I don't really care if they do things "right" or are texting or whatever.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have a better idea....how about you worry more about yourself and your workout, rather than anyone else's...just a thought.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have a better idea....how about you worry more about yourself and your workout, rather than anyone else's...just a thought.

Lol! This is the same thing I was thinking...
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    And THAT's why I don't go to the torture chamber....er....gym.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Tricep_A_Tops Posts: 319
    Options
    I think each and every one of us were clueless at one point.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I pay a lot of money to sit on a bench texting between my 50 reps on the crunch machine. You know what, next time I'm curling in the squat rack, wile texting.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Tricep_A_Tops Posts: 319
    Options
    And this! I couldnt tell you what the people around me are doing.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    What makes you think you know what you're doing?
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    A gym is there to make money. They're not going to offer training advice for free.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You should just respect them for even showing up and working on their health. Everyone starts somewhere, and you have absolutely no right to judge how someone else does THEIR workout. Just mind your own business.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I do my elliptical and pushups (and I know I have good form there), but I truly am clueless on how to do squats or any of that stuff involving barbells, so I stick to the Cybex machines. I am afraid of looking like an idiot and I don't want to bother the staff to have them show me, so I just do what I know. :) LOL.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I think each and every one of us were clueless at one point.

YEP. Everyone starts somewhere. It'd be great if gyms gave free training sessions (and some gyms do) but that's not always the case.

I do hate the smith machine though. It just feels so wrong!!! hah
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Did you walk in to the gym knowing exactly what to do and how to do it the first time? Wow, you are just awesome! I understand gym etiquette- ie. not texting etc.... but give us lowly people who are just starting out a break, would ya?
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with the importance of proper form!

Can someone please educate me on why "machines" are bad?

I have a trainer and we rarely work with machines. Just wondering...
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    DYEL?
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Many people are intimidated at the gym and afraid to admit that they don't know what they are doing.

It's unlikely that you'll find a gym with trainers stationed around the gym offering free advice to people working out. It's expensive, and people don't like being put on the spot.

A better approach would be for the gym to offer free classes on how to use its equipment once a month.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What makes you think you know what you're doing?

Because 20 years of gym time = ultimate authority regardless of results.