Are people crazy or do I have an eating disorder?

Options

Replies

• SexyDexie
    SexyDexie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Someone put some Haterade in the water. They are acting like crabs in a barrel - can't let one get away from them
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Your habits sound healthy to me... your coworkers are probably just trying to sabotage you and make you doubt yourself because they're jealous that they haven't lost weight.

If it makes you feel any better, I actually have a measuring spoon at work for when I drink coffee here - so I make sure I can measure the amount of half & half I'm using! :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    They sound pretty clueless. An eating disorder usually involves severely under eating and/or some kind of unhealthy relationship with food. All you are doing is planning and being organized.

That said, most people I encounter think calorie counting and weighing and measuring everything is pretty weird and my friends give me a lot of flack for it...it's definitely not the norm, but it works. Most people don't have the discipline to do it and stick to it...most people I know would rather just go on a fad diet.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I think they want to believe that they just can't lose weight. Since you are succeeding, clearly you must have an eating disorder because THEY can't lose weight.
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    First off wtg on the weight lose and lifestyle change!!! Your post could have been mine only i have been called obsessive. Like you i feel it is a lifestyle change. You are doing great keep it up.
  • smcturbo
    smcturbo Posts: 16
    Options
    nope, no eating disorder. You are doing very healthy, responsible things. I don't think people in this country are really used to seeing people set goals and then do the work needed to reach them. People think there's either "skinny" genes or "heavy" genes. They aren't used to the idea that people work to get to where they want to be. Nothing in there is eating disordered (and I'm a mental health therapist, so that's a qualified opinion!)
  • lattarulol
    lattarulol Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the reassurance. I do know that I am a control freak when it comes to some things. Over the years I have learned to let go of other things that aren't important in the greater scheme of life.

I do put a lot of effort into my planning. I wake up early to go to the gym before work and my husband does daycare drop off before he goes to work. This way to get to work early and can come home early to be with the kids and get dinner ready. I do most prep work at night after the kids have gone to bed so that dinner is easy the next day. On the weekends if I am working out I do just as the kids are waking up so that I minimize the impact on them and my husband and we have the whole weekend as a family. I often bring them with me (walk the zoo, run with them in the stroller, etc).

I have a wonderful supportive husband that allows me to do these things. He does the majority of the cleaning so that is a load off of me, and he is a very involved father. As the kids get older (and we add one more into the mix) I know it will be harder to find the time so I am trying to make these things second nature now.

Thanks again for all the support!
  • Lind140
    Lind140 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No, they have the problem. You are doing your very best for yourself and
    your family to live a healthier and productive life, You don't let others
    and eating out keep you from your goals, very admirable! I think maybe
    there might be a wee bit of jealousy on their part, they don't have your
    strong mindset. Keep up the great job!
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The problem is with people, not you. We have become so overweight and glazed over in denial we have no idea what is healthy, what is not, or we just don't care. People don't even think logging calories is necessary to lose weight and find it "excessive". These people either have never been overweight, are overweight and uneducated (in nutrition), or just don't care.

You will often find the same people will say someone is "getting too thin" when they are still technically overweight.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You are doing it right, in my book. The only way you'll keep the weight off is by keeping track at home and paying attention when you go out to eat with others. I was fortunate in that my co-workers were generally supportive (didn't push treats, etc.), and mainly made positive comments about my healthy meals and complimented my weight loss. I didn't make a big deal out of my eating plan, but if people were interested and asked, I told them what I was doing. It was harder with my good friends, who liked to make and eat sweet desserts and other treats, but often, I offered to cook the main dish so I knew it was something good for us all.
  • susanjean62
    susanjean62 Posts: 200
    Options
    I think you sound very healthy. I think anyone that has lost weight and on a diet(per se) becomes a little obsessed. If you google amount of food and visual aides,you will be able to judge food amount without a scale. For instance,a proper portion of meat,chicken or fish,should be the size of a deck of cards,etc. I think portion control is very important in losing weight and maintaining it. Be confident. You are awesome!:smile:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think when some people see a person who is very dedicated and consistent with anything they label it obsessive (or disordered). You are just dedicated and that is a good thing. Many people don't set goals in any aspect of their lives. Those people often judge others who do set goals. I think that is what is going on here. You are perfectly fine; just particularly disciplined. When did that become a bad thing?
  • Becksga
    Becksga Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don’t think you have a problem. Sounds like you are a planner and I think it’s a great trait to have….although, it may be classified as a skill not a trait….
    I have a hater that says "you're obsessed" because I behave in a similar way. To my way of thinking, if I would have been a little more “obsessed” over the past 10 years, I would not be in this chubby situation.
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I think these are all normal things but three people from work (they all know each other and talk about this so its not three isolated incidents) have said I have an eating disorder.

1. Why do you care what your co-workers think about your dietary habits?
    2. Why do your co-workers even know about your dietary habits?

Perhaps if you are providing them too many details about your caloric intake and food preferences, it may be coming across as obsessive behavior. I have no idea what the majority of my co-workers, past and present, do or don't eat for lunch, much less all of their other personal nutritional information, such as caloric intake and food measurements. If a co-worker was making this type of information my business, I might wonder if they had a bit of a problem.

Or perhaps they are a bunch of busy-bodies who have nothing better to talk about at the water cooler because no one posted anything oh-so-intriguing on facebook that day.

Quit worrying about what other people think about what you are putting in your mouth; and start ignoring what's coming out of theirs.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Yep, sounds like they are crazy.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Sounds healthy to me :)
  • mikniknar
    mikniknar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you are totally healthy, nothing wrong with the way you are doing things as far as I am concerned. As someone here said.. I think its a jealousy thing... envy or whatever you would like to call it. Keep up the healthy eating and don't worry about what others think as long as you are happy with what you are doing :) I think you are doing great...congratulation on your weight to date
    Cheers :)
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Sounds perfectly healthy to me.

You are organized and TypeA when it comes to this process from what I gather, and that is fantastic!

Keep up the great work! :flowerforyou:
  • luv_2_lift
    luv_2_lift Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. My approach to tracking and eating is very similar to yours and I've experienced the same thing from a few people. I've decided they either don't understand the hard work I've put in to get the results or have a different personality that can't function with the same approach to food. I just don't understand why they can't respect my planning when I don't have a problem with their non-planning approach.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are a very meticulous person, but nothing that you've said screams eating disorder. I applaud your level of organization and planning, it's not something that I'm able to do. It's possible the people that have suggested that you have an eating disorder are just confused by your discipline and feel that you have an issue because they may confuse your planning as obsession.