Are people crazy or do I have an eating disorder?

Options

Replies

• freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    lol i say you absolutely do NOT have an eating disorder.... but then again I've been told I have an eating disorder, so perhaps my opinion is biased.... I say UNLESS IT'S MAKING YOUR LIFE UNMANAGEABLE you're fine. but just take an honest look. I can say that my behavior with food has made my life unmanageable... so I tend to look at that... but ya.. just sayin...
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Most people in America have an eating disorder. It's called eating too much crap food in too many quantities.

OP, you don't have an eating disorder. Keep up the great work!
  • Daniele1213
    Daniele1213 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Guess you have your answer.....................no eating disorder. Great job on your weight loss and perhaps you should print all these postings for your co-workers ( I won't call them friends).
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you have an eating disorder, we all have an eating disorder.

If you are eating, feel full and are not throwing up what you eat, you're fine.
    Continue on girl! :bigsmile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    The only thing that strikes me as being characteristic of an eating disorder is bringing your scale to soup plantation. I vote that you should never bring it to a restaurant, period.
  • Lambchoplollypop
    Options
    Your discipline and dedication to a healthy lifestyle is exactly what I'm striving for! :)

Personally I weigh certain foods because I can easily pour out more than a one person serving (eg. of rice or pasta) and I plan my meals too, because it makes sticking to a shopping list easier but more importantly I enjoy trying new healthy recipes and picking out different ingredients, as cooking is a passion for me! I've also lost my taste for alcohol (and I'm a student - shock horror!) but enjoy a glass of red wine now and then - and enjoy it more this way. It certainly doesn't sound like you're being dangerously restrictive, if you're fitting in treats like doughnuts into your healthy lifestyle. :)

In short: ignore those colleagues and be proud!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No, you do not have an eating disorder. People are just silly.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Everything you are doing is perfectly normal. Don't change a thing.

Haters_Gonna_Hate_03.jpg
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're just really disciplined. It's a good thing :smile:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    That sounds very much like what I'm doing. I think it's a very sensible approach. I log everything, I don't do cheat days at all, I eat what I want to and work it in. I am losing weight slowly ( I want it slow) and steadily, down every weigh-in except one, which stayed exactly the same two weeks in a row, I feel better than I have in years and have lost one pant size, my energy level, strength and stamina are improved. Works great for me.
  • Lorichr
    Lorichr Posts: 54
    Options
    If you have an eating disorder than so so I. Almost everything you just described is me exactly.
  • yrollam1013
    yrollam1013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If anything they are worried about your strictness in only eating what you've planed, and in going to the lengths to bring your scale out. It isn't an eating disorder unless it interferes with your daily life which it doesn't sound like it is. Questions to ask would be, do you ever turn down going out with friends or family because you can't find something that you would be willing to add to your plan, and do you experience intense fear/anxiety if you have to get something other that what you had planned for?
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I do all of those things and I definitely don't have an eating disorder. I eat more than most people I know.

A little bit of OCD, sure, but like you that is just my personality. I have a spreadsheet for everything, not just my meal plans and shopping lists and workout routines :-)

Don't listen to those people, you are doing everything the right way in my opinion. They are probably just jealous that you have your health under control, I bet they don't!
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna Hate! I wish I could plan as well as you do!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I think your plan sounds reasonable and similar to my own if I were to actually execute it on a consistant basis like I want to lol Let me look up the DSM criteria for an eating disorder. If you had anything it would be anorexia or not otherwise specified because you didn't mention binging or purging.

-refusal to maintain body weight at or above a minimally normal weight for age and height
    -intense fear of gaining weight or becoming fat, even when underweight
    -disturbance in the way in which one's body weight or shape is experienced, undue influence of body weight or shape on self-evaluation, or denial of seriousness of the current low body weight
    -amenorrhea (loss of periods)
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In general, people automatically assume that what they do is "normal" so if you are doing otherwise, then it must be "abnormal" and therefore a disorder. That is inaccurate thinking, something has to be negatively impacting health and our lifestyle in order to be classified a disorder. What you are doing is quite the opposite.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I can't decide whether people are just trying to hate or if I really do have an eating disorder. I think my behavior is normal for someone watching their diet and eventually it will become second nature to me. I will summarize and let me know what you think!

Since Jan I've lost 30 lbs at a slow, steady pace. I exercise most days and watch what I eat. I use my food scale religiously and am very meticulous with it. I don't often bring it out to public places but I have once or twice (I wanted to know what I typically eat at Souplantation.) I pre-log most meals and plan a week's worth of shopping and cooking. I am of the mindset that I can eat anything (I had two donuts yesterday) as long as I plan for it and and log it. I do get some satisfaction out of eating my planned meals - it is my personality, make a plan and execute! I am up to about 1650 cals per day and I plan on going up weekly until I reach a maintenance level. I still go out to eat with everyone, just usually look at the menu ahead of time so that I know what to order. I still go to parties and have a good time so my workouts and eating habits have not made me anti-social. I have naturally stopped drinking most alcohol because after being pregnant and breastfeeding for the past three years I kind of lost a taste for it and get a headache almost immediately from drinking. I don't harp on other people for what they eat. I don't limit the food of my kids or husband (though i cook healthier now so they eat healthier as a by-product).

Anyways, I think these are all normal things but three people from work (they all know each other and talk about this so its not three isolated incidents) have said I have an eating disorder. Am I in denial? What signs should I look for that indicate I have an abnormal relationship with food?

To heck with those people. Good for you for caring about yourself. Live your life the way you want, be healthy, and be happy.

Every day I hear that somebody's in the hospital getting checked out for heart blockages because they're overweight, or about to have a bypass for the same reason, or see enormous people waddling across the parking lot into McDonald's to become even more enormous. I've lost about 16 pounds and need to lose another 30 and people tell me I look fine and don't need to lose any more. I'm walking for local errands instead of using my car and my neighbors think I'm crazy. Don't listen to it. Walk, run, work out, watch what you eat, and be happy instead of ending up in a hospital or an early grave.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Your actions are NOT an eating disorder. You are simply being organized and actually have a plan that you are executing to achieve your weight loss goal.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What you describe is not an eating disorder. Eating disorders are conditions defined by abnormal eating habits that may involve either insufficient or excessive food intake to the detriment of an individual's physical and mental health.

Keep doing what you are doing and enjoy your successes!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in the context of these conversations? Why would they use such a serious accuastion as an eating disorder? These people are either very ignorant or concerned about a friend. I wouldnt really take that lightly and I might want an explanation from them how they drew that conclusion.