Diet tips that don't work

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Fat free or low fat food is healthier for you. Meat is bad.

One of many sources that would argue otherwise:
    http://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/Food/Fish/HealthBenefits.aspx

OP's "tips" are absolutes, dealing in black and white, all good diet tips are on the grey scale. All carbs do not automatically become fat, they are used for energy and the excess is stored as fat, for example.

I thought this post was BAD diet tips... I don't actually think fat or meat is bad and I have the lipid profile and improved blood pressure to prove it.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    The worst BS I see on a daily basis is someone trying to sell somebody something to "detoxify" their body.

I certainly hope they're selling you a liver and some kidneys because those are what detoxifies your body...

Totally agree!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    lol my aunt swears that taking cold showers makes you lose weight ( lives in Alaska being cold has NOT helped me lose weight lol)
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You have to eat a lot of small meals to keep your metabolism burning.

You have to eat breakfast to jumpstart your metabolism.

You cant eat after a certain hour.

Yep..These
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    lol my aunt swears that taking cold showers makes you lose weight ( lives in Alaska being cold has NOT helped me lose weight lol)

Oh but it will make you lose weight! Just make sure you are shivering convulsively afterwards for 20+minutes/day and you will!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Oh but it will make you lose weight! Just make sure you are shivering convulsively afterwards for 20+minutes/day and you will!

Rolf love that I just pictured my aunt with blue lips ice cycles hanging from her nose on the scale
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot of stupid ones, but I've never heard that "having sex burns like 300 calories".

My response to that would be: "Only 300 calories? You must be doing it wrong!"
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

I've actually heard a variation of this, you go from cold to hot to cold to hot, or some such mess. Taking a shower shouldn't be this difficult. A shower is for washing off all the sweat from the *kitten*-crushing workout you just did.
  • slolane2006
    slolane2006 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That made me laugh...simply because you stated that you are 100 lbs lighter than anyone that was giving you those "tips". It's crazy what people believe!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options

My husband keeps trying to convince me sex is the best cardio exercise. Do you think he'll be offended if I wear my heart rate monitor and see how many calories I actually burn?

Oh my gosh - just go with it! If your hubs wants to be with you every night, why do you need to be convinced?

My MIL comes up with some amazing diet tips. Lately she is trying to convince me to go gluten free. Her doctor recommended it, and she feels better and more energetic, so now obviously, the entire world should eat gluten free.

She also does not understand that you cannot gain & lose weight in a day. i.e. "I can eat pancakes on Sunday and still lose weight, but if I eat biscuits instead, on Monday I will be up a pound." Also, while staying at my house for a week - "I think I've gained weight since I got here, my feet are really hurting"...
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    I think one of the most BS current diet advice is that new fad book VB6. He says eating good meals before 6pm and then eating whatever you'd like after 6 will make you lose weight....while eating better most of the day will help you, if you eat whatever you'd like late you wont lose weight and most probably gain...complete BS "diet".
  • Joellen457
    Joellen457 Posts: 5
    Options
    Eating fats makes you fat. False. I believe olive oil and fish oil are excellent. I enjoy nuts as well.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My favorite bad piece of advice was being told I shouldn't eat after a certain time because your metabolism slows down at night. I think others have mentioned this. I almost always go to bed with a full tummy from dinner because after work and the drive home I only have so much time to take care of home stuff, workout, and cook dinner etc and it usually means going to bed right after eating. *shrug* hasn't hindered me any :)
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Cling wrap the body while drinking a Cleanse help you lose weight fasssssterrrr
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    "Any exercise you were doing before you decided to lose weight/get in shape doesn't count as exercise, because you got fat doing it."

Since, as we all know, it's the exercise you do, rather than whether you're eating at a caloric surplus or deficit relative to your TDEE, that determines whether you gain, lose, or maintain your weight. :explode:
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yup, the word diet = "Aint nobody got time for dat"

As far as I'm concerned in terms of my own experiences and experiences of others is the moment you refer to whatever changes you make as a DIET or feel pressured, restricted and annoyed by the process is the moment you are probably not ready for aforementioned changes. This sounds harsh, preachy and discouraging - I'm always worried I'm going to lapse into bad habits again, but the difference between previous attempts and this attempt is that I don't sit there thinking about food all the time, or feel denied, or angry at having to do exercise/being fat/having to eat low fat.

Anything that promises quick fixes are given a wide berth by me. I've tried those quick fixes - the only thing it's done is screwed up my perception further and sent me backwards in going forwards. These can and do work for some people - but anything that doesn't allow the brain to catch up with the body or vice versa for me, I think is a bad idea. Attitudes need to change to food/exercise rather than lose weight and then try and change those attitudes.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I read an article on some website called mindbodygreen.com. It was promoting a book called Wheat Belly. The author of the article said that a Mom told her that her kid was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and she took wheat out of his diet, and it cured him. It really ticked me off. I wanted to punch my computer in the face. Did I mention the author of the article has a degree in English?!

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9484/why-wheat-is-ruining-your-life-the-author-of-wheat-belly-explains.html

This article made me want to cry and laugh at the same time. I've never heard such ridiculous claims in my life.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The worst BS I see on a daily basis is someone trying to sell somebody something to "detoxify" their body.

I certainly hope they're selling you a liver and some kidneys because those are what detoxifies your body...

My hero. I eat foods that enable my body to detoxify itself, but I hesitate to even use that word in that regard because it's such a gimmick now.
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The way the word "diet" is used irratates the holy he** out of me. Diet is not just a temporary way of eating.

Noun: The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    Verb: Restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight: "it is difficult to diet in a house full of cupcakes".

Changing my eating to a healthy lifesyle just means I have changed my DIET. Avoiding the word is just silly in my opinion.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Anything that Dr.Oz says is a miracle diet does not and will not work!!! IMO

My co-worker just told me she spent $150 on Dr. Oz Green coffee-tea magical elixir pills (?? dunno, I don't watch) because hubby has been gaining weight because he's been drinking more. He's hoping it will help him lose weight and still being able to drink and eat as much as he likes.