Diet tips that don't work

Options
123457»

Replies

• kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    the worst diet advice I heard was you can eat as much as you want cos its fat free...

my idea is that if I exercise more, then I am too busy to eat, so there it is, a no brainer, I will exercise more cos I will not be able to eat lol and then I will be too tired to go to the fast food places and only have enough energy to throw a quick salad together minus dressings, I don't trust those...

I am currently reading the great diet delusion or diet delusion, anyway it goes through all sorts of studies and shows how the results get manipulated to suit whoever wants to sell whichever fad diet of the moment....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Anything that Dr.Oz says is a miracle diet does not and will not work!!! IMO

My co-worker just told me she spent $150 on Dr. Oz Green coffee-tea magical elixir pills (?? dunno, I don't watch) because hubby has been gaining weight because he's been drinking more. He's hoping it will help him lose weight and still being able to drink and eat as much as he likes.

My sister swears she lost weight by taking the green coffee extract that Dr. Oz promotes. She definitely has lost quite a bit of weight quickly. But later she told me she usually goes all day without eating and just has a salad for dinner.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

My co-worker just told me she spent $150 on Dr. Oz Green coffee-tea magical elixir pills (?? dunno, I don't watch) because hubby has been gaining weight because he's been drinking more. He's hoping it will help him lose weight and still being able to drink and eat as much as he likes.

My sister swears she lost weight by taking the green coffee extract that Dr. Oz promotes. She definitely has lost quite a bit of weight quickly. But later she told me she usually goes all day without eating and just has a salad for dinner.

Hmm i dont much care for dr. Oz he is wishy washy says do this then dont do it then try this buy that screw that guy lol
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Then it's not the extract, it's the fact she's starving herself. Eventually her metabolic rate will slow and weight loss will stop - it's very important she starts to eat and ditch the remedies.
  • mokoko123
    mokoko123 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I hate when people ask me how I lost the weight & when I tell them I eat healthy and workout they are disappointed! Like what did you expect me to say? I ate chocolate, cookies and cake and took such & such pill and it melted off? Ugh - people just want a quick fix and it's not gonna happen
  • ekahnicole
    ekahnicole Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't eat bananas and other "high calorie" fruits because you'll end up consuming way too many calories.

Hear that at work the other day. Yeahhh my 120 calorie banana is going to make me fat. xD Legit!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    starvation mode
    cleanse/diet/detox
    don't eat carbs after 8pm
    toning
    you have to eat six small meals a day....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    1) Muscle weighs more than fat so if you gain weight, it's just muscle (FALSE)

Um .... So, if someone gains weight it's never muscle???

I agree. My measurements have gotten smaller, my body fat has decreased, but the scale was higher.
    Cause: Heavy lifting

if you are eating in deficit you can't add/build muscle..unless you are an obese beginner..

more than likely water retention...

you can only gain weight in a surplus..so if you are heavy lifting + eating in surplus then yes it is muscle..if you are eating in deficit you can't build muscle and really should not be gaining...
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I had a lunch with a friend of mine, who was on the Atkins diet. She was eating a brick of cheese for lunch and told me I would never lose weight because I was eating carrots!! Apparently, carrots have too much sugar.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    This coming from my grandma whom I educated and she took it VERY well and thanked me for clearing that up: Eating after 8PM isn't good for you.

Fact: You burn calories even in your sleep, so doesn't matter if you eat after 8 as long as it fits your intake

And the one that irritates me the most right now coming from my mother whose not really educated... "This <insert food here> has <insert number of calories here> so it's great AND healthy!"

Yes we eat pretty healthy - veggies, fruits, lean meats and all that good stuff and thankfully we have some food choices for everyone in the family when it comes to dressings and the like...She claims to have lost 10 pounds but I don't see her getting any leaner - which leads me to think she's losing muscle. Low-calorie doesn't mean nutritious...Shirataki noodles as an example - 2 servings per bag so for the whole bag: 80 calories, 1g protein, 1g fat, 2g fibre, 4g carbs. Exaplin to me how is this nutritious? Obviously you'll only use this as a base - thankfully and add meats and veggies to it but REALLY? Just have some whole wheat pasta...sure more calories and some carbs but overall more nutritious in the scheme of things and more filling!

Another that irks me "Today is my cheat day" This is NOT a diet - it IS a lifestyle change so tehre should be no such thing as a "cheat" day. Everything in moderation and life is good!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    ... The problem is not that this and that illness runs in your family. The problem is that nobody runs in your family....

Perfectly said! LOVE IT!

I used to have a "someecard" on my wall that said just about that. "The problem isn't that obesity runs in your family, the problem is that nobody runs in your family." The other one I had up said "What diet am I on? I'm on the get off your@$$ and quit eating so much cr@p diet."
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Worse tip for me that kept me fat for decades was that potatoes, noodles, rice, bread will fill you up and discourage overeating ~ total opposite proved true for me, those foods made me HUNGRY and incited me to overeat :(