Would you date someone considerably less intelligent?

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I love every post in here that says 'no' but is riddled with rudimentary grammatical inaccuracy.

If we're splitting hairs, wouldn't "inaccuracies" work better here, due to the visual implied by "riddled?"

I know, I know. Bring on Colonel Klink.

Actually, I think either word would be correct in that sentence. Inaccuracy as a general concept, as opposed to specific incidents of inaccuracy.

Agreed, either word could be considered correct, but the plural would be preferable given the implications of "riddled." That's why I started with "If we're splitting hairs." It's the poet in me, I suppose, that would insist on the harmony, above and beyond mere precision.

Rock on, poet.:flowerforyou:
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    If she was hot, absolutely. It's not like paying attention to what she says anyway.
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    I love every post in here that says 'no' but is riddled with rudimentary grammatical inaccuracy.

If we're splitting hairs, wouldn't "inaccuracies" work better here, due to the visual implied by "riddled?"

I know, I know. Bring on Colonel Klink.

It's so funny you mention that. I initially typed "inaccuracies" and my edit was to change it to singular. "Riddled" does express a plurality and "inaccuracy" is singular noun. "Inaccuracy," however, is the quality or state of being inaccurate, and/or having errors, usually more than one. It is a short inductive leap to then state that the word inaccuracy in this context describes the collective inaccuracy of the plurality of errors in the singular "every post" described, which are captured by the singular noun "inaccuracy" . . . or so I contend.

Wanna date? :flowerforyou:

My thoughts exactly...:love:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's just a date. I'm sure it's happened. I'm sure it's happened the other way around, too. I think two people who's intelligence are that far from one another won't make it past a few dates though.
  • CurvaciousBeautyToBe
    CurvaciousBeautyToBe Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna admit, my husband did... but I'm not stupid.

I agree. My boyfriend is far more intelligent then me...but thats not saying much because he's a freaking genius!
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I did, for 5 years. He once told me we should invade Canada for the oil. I asked him why he said Alaska had all the oil....:huh:
    I feel you become what you surround yourself, and I always felt frustrated I had to spell words for him, or dumb down conversations. God forbid I took him to any university staff events :embarassed:
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Smart's fun, but it don't get the job done. I don't consider intelligence to be a primary motivator when it comes to partner selection.

I think it goes

1) Purty
    2) dat *kitten*
    2) fun
    2) nice
    2) smarts
    6) fecundity

depending on the day of course.

That said, I just don't think I'd have enough in common with women who have below average intelligence. On the other end, I find that the incidence of jackholes in Mensa is slightly higher than the general population, though it may be the self-selecting nature of that group. It may be that you will find less jackholery in people who could join Mensa but don't.
  • mytime1986
    mytime1986 Posts: 117
    Options
    My husband and I are equally intelligent. I wouldn't be able to be happily married to someone that I didn't find intriguing and engaging, which I think require a pretty high level of intelligence.

Now, would I hook up with someone considerably less intelligent? ... you bet your *kitten*.

Although no longer married.... This 100 % ^^^^^^
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    If she was hot, absolutely. It's not like paying attention to what she says anyway.

I mean is she even talking? It's just a date. If she's that dumb, just take her to a movie so the giant people on the big square can do all the talking, and then take her to dinner to keep her mouth busy. Then, I guess its up to you after that.

ETA: the pressure to punctuate correctly on this thread is going to make my head explode.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    So, when you say less intelligent what does this require?
    Someone who can't solve a crossword puzzle in the Sunday paper?
    Someone that's not intellectually stimulating?
    Someone who doesn't think through a decision and buys a new pair of shoes, even tho they are broke?
    Cant recite the Declaration of Independence?
    Someone who cant name the 50 States of America?
    Someone who cant follow along with Jepordy?
    Not good with computers?
    Or are you talking about someone with no thought process?
    That cant contribute to a conversation?
    Agrees with everything you say?

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the Governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government....

That's all I remember. :D

I have, however, been known to buy shoes when I can't afford them.

coolstorybroterminator.gif

[img]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p1/BarrysWeb1/Gif Pictures/978131m.gif[/img]
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

Sorry, "polyamory" isn't in my vocabulary :heart: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Smart's fun, but it don't get the job done. I don't consider intelligence to be a primary motivator when it comes to partner selection.

I think it goes

1) Purty
    2) dat *kitten*
    2) fun
    2) nice
    2) smarts
    6) fecundity

depending on the day of course.

That said, I just don't think I'd have enough in common with women who have below average intelligence. On the other end, I find that the incidence of jackholes in Mensa is slightly higher than the general population, though it may be the self-selecting nature of that group. It may be that you will find less jackholery in people who could join Mensa but don't.

You used a work (fecundity) that I had to look up. I am officially in love with you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I can't even hook up with someone less intelligent. BORING.

I have this problem, too. Ugh.

wondering how these people "hook up"? are there dictionaries involved? math equations? what?
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options

Sorry, "polyamory" isn't in my vocabulary :heart: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Who said anything about love? :wink: :drinker:
  • InnerConflict
    InnerConflict Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I can't even hook up with someone less intelligent. BORING.

I have this problem, too. Ugh.

wondering how these people "hook up"? are there dictionaries involved? math equations? what?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCg2kqaTjbfc4oP3HZfhqLk3o93AFN0NITtCjSW1Fbl-6DcXzixQ
    98777 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. Intelligence is the most attractive feature next to a good personality. But then again, I am pretty much asexual.
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I could never date someone who is considerably less intelligent than I am. Looks always fade, and I'd rather have someone that can keep up with me in conversation.

That said, personality and looks do matter, but needless to say intelligence is a very desirable trait (along with confidence.)
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Mah men is wicked smaht,..... and I LOVE it!:love:

So the answer is NO!

I would not consider one of us smarter than the other though.
    Hubby is super left brain and I am super right brain.
    Perfect balance!:happy:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    The less intelligent they are, the less complicated the locks on the basement have to be.
  • Sylph13
    Sylph13 Posts: 15
    Options
    I've done it.. not a smart move :wink:
    I dated him because he was rugged/tough looking and sweet... but then you run into problems that basically blow your mind, for eg. he thought sanitizing after preparing raw chicken etc. was unnecessary, he thought it was ok to eat expired food, he thought it was fine to drive while drinking, he thought it was ok to leave a sharp knife next to a toddler's food, he thought it was normal to take things left in the dumpster... smh, never again.. the list goes on and on. Don't do it. :grumble: