Why or why not is shakeology right for me?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ...you don't think 600 calories worth of eggs fried in 6 tablespoons of butter is uh, not the best decision?

I agree, that sounds like the least filling meal ever. Add in some cream, cheese, meat and veg to make a frittata and that may work
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    ...you don't think 600 calories worth of eggs fried in 6 tablespoons of butter is uh, not the best decision?
    An average whole egg is 80 calories. Eating 7 eggs in one sitting is a bit over the top. Maybe try again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    it's been a little while since i have seen a shakeology thread

and now its called shakeo?

no

just no.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

no

just no.

gotta keep it cool.......you know revamp the lingo...

draw attention to the next wave of consumerists...

Shakeo...not your MOTHERS shake.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

no

just no.

You mean a milf shake?
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm a freelance consultant, and I recently did some website and social media consulting work for one of Beachbody's top coaches. She ended up ripping me off of hundreds of dollars in unpaid work, and during the month I worked with her, literally all she talked about was "her business" and making money. She was obsessed with making money. Her followers on social media talked to her as though she were a deity (if I had a nickel for every time I read the word "amazing" I'd be a millionaire) and they basically sounded like a cult. It was pretty off-putting and the fact that one of the top coaches is a blatant scam artist and thief convinced me that my all-real-food protein shakes (that I love and that my ex client made a face about when I declined to become a coach myself) were the better way to go.

From reading thousands of people's comments and "testimonials" I got the strong impression that the only reason anyone "achieved" anything in the program was from the online support they got from other coaches, not the products themselves.

It's pretty much a cult of money and calorie restriction. Please spare yourself. There are better, cheaper and more sustainable ways to reach your personal goals.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm also not exactly the best at my own personal nutrition, since I'm not supposed to eat greens, or bread, of fruit. ahem. and I'm not the one eating all those eggs! lol.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm a freelancer, and I did some website and social media consulting work for one of Beachbody's top coaches. She ended up ripping me off of hundreds of dollars, and during the month I worked with her, literally all she talked about was "her business" and making money. She was obsessed. Her followers on social media talked to her as though she were a deity (if I had a nickel for every time I read the word "amazing" I'd be a millionaire) and they basically sounded like a cult. It was pretty off-putting and the fact that one of the top coaches is a blatant scam artist and thief convinced me that my all-real-food protein shakes (that I love and that my ex client made a face about when I declined to become a coach myself) were the better way to go.

From reading thousands of people's comments and "testimonials" I got the strong impression that the only reason anyone "achieved" anything in the program was from the online support they got from other coaches, not the products themselves.

It's pretty much a cult of money and calorie restriction. Please spare yourself. There are better, cheaper and more sustainable ways to reach your personal goals.

...the worst part is, I totally think I know who you're talking about.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

It's pretty much a cult of money and calorie restriction

The Amway of fitness products. lol.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

no

just no.

You mean a milf shake?

hey as long as it brings all your Milfs to the yard you know....
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Eh.....I make my own meal shakes when I want to drink my meal.

I drink my breakfast every morning. Nothing wrong with a replacement meal using a shake...the question becomes, do you need to pay some company to do something for you that takes literally about 3 minutes to do for yourself?

There's a ton of google links out there for shake recipes that meet macros, provide the nutrients you need, and the calories you want. And you have the side benefit of being able to "eat" those ingredients if you decide a shake isn't going to cut it sometimes.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

I agree, that sounds like the least filling meal ever. Add in some cream, cheese, meat and veg to make a frittata and that may work

You do always know how to turn me on.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't get why so many people bash Shakeology. If you don't like it, don't drink it. If you like it, drink it. It's like broccoli. If eating broccoli suddenly became a new fad on here, half the people would bash it even if they like it. Nobody's making you buy it, or drink it, or anything.

It's the continued advertisement by "coaches" they play off as offering help to people. The broccoli growers industry isn't here cointually hawking their stuff to boost sales. Broccoli sells itself.

Beyond that, I don't care if people choose it. I just get sick of certain people making that their only contribution to this website.

This for me too. And the way these topics get flooded with people who have less than 10 posts talking about how great Shakeology is. It's more than a little suspicious. It makes me feel like I'm on a used car lot (I get the same feeling going to GNC, just for the record, it's not limited to Shakeology).
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I drink Herbalife's meal replacement shake most weekday mornings for breakfast. Honestly, I probably wouldn't eat breakfast if I didn't drink it. Maybe it doesn't actually take more time to make some eggs or something but in my mind the shake is easier.

Only you can decide if it is right for you. We don't know your circumstances. Try a sample. If you like it and can afford it, awesome. If you don't like it or can't afford it, as others have pointed out you can easily get the nutrients that are in it elsewhere.

Best of luck!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I don't get why so many people bash Shakeology. If you don't like it, don't drink it. If you like it, drink it. It's like broccoli. If eating broccoli suddenly became a new fad on here, half the people would bash it even if they like it. Nobody's making you buy it, or drink it, or anything.

Shakeology is good for a quick meal. You don't need it every day. You can also pop a multi, and a hardboiled egg and generally have the same effect. You can also calorie count and have a deficit to lose weight. It doesn't really matter.

My point, buy a packet off Ebay. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, great. Why can't people be happy with doing what they like?!

The original poster asked for opinions on why it's good or not. These people gave opinions.

I don't see how saying, "well, I love to CHEW my food" is a useful statement. I'm merely guessing that a lot of people who hate Shakeology have never actually tried it. My advice is to try it. Some people will like it, while others won't. No one can manage eating foods they don't like, no matter how healthy they are. You need to like foods that can help you maintain a deficit, or else you'll snap and eat everything. So if Shakeology is one of those foods that helps you not spazz out, use it. If it's broccoli, use it. If it's salad, okay then. Shakeology wasn't created for people that know how to eat properly, it was for people who don't understand nutrition. So while they're LEARNING good nutrition, they still have something to fall back on that helps them get vitamins. I used to drink it until I learned how to eat right, and now I have it once a week at the most. But maybe I'm a slower person, I couldn't learn nutrition overnight.

so you are basically saying that people who have an opposite opinion of shakology should not post their opinion in the opinion shakology thread..? Righhhhhhht..makes sense...so we should all just agree with every thread even if we don't...makes perfect sense to me..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    The diet industry is a multi trillion dollar entity. Practically every person on Earth at one time or another have been exposed to or have tried a diet plan to lose, gain or just get healthier.
    Unfortunately there will be many companies out there that are just going to profit big from people over paying for information when they don't really need to.
    Granted there are some great products out there that will assist people in reaching their goals and I'm all for that. Personally I use ON products for supplementation.
    I just don't believe that people should get hosed into believing that people who are/were successful in Beach Body got there because of Shakeology. It basically had more to do with them as a person and following a calorie deficit program with exercise. I think the Beach Body workout programs are fine and am more than sure that the success stories could have gotten success with just a calorie deficit and the exercise programs. It's not the product, it's the person.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am going to go to walmart and buy a crap ton of cheap as# protein powder and then I am going to re-bottle it and call it 'Nick's Amazing Meal Replacement Shakes " and sell them for a monthly subscription for 49.99 a container. I guarantee if you drink two a day and limit yourself to one 400 cal meal that you will lose weight..or your money back..

will all you shakology people buy from me instead?????
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    This for me too. And the way these topics get flooded with people who have less than 10 posts talking about how great Shakeology is. It's more than a little suspicious.

I know some posters use it and have done well with it (as they would with ANY sensible meal/exercise plan) so i am not knocking them. But yes, it does get suspicious for many of the posts about this company. Especiall when the top of the forum specifically says:
    If you truly love and feel passionate about a product, it's completely fine to talk about it and endorse it as long as you do not do so in a manner from which you might financially benefit.

This is one of those threads where I think users have chimed in as well as non-users giving alternatives. Though, ya know...there is a certain cult following.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I am going to go to walmart and buy a crap ton of cheap as# protein powder and then I am going to re-bottle it and call it 'Nick's Amazing Meal Replacement Shakes " and sell them for a monthly subscription for 49.99 a container. I guarantee if you drink two a day and limit yourself to one 400 cal meal that you will lose weight..or your money back..

will all you shakology people buy from me instead?????

Shut.The.Front.Door. Did you say AMAZING? I must try it, I must!! Where can I get your AMAZING product?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    This for me too. And the way these topics get flooded with people who have less than 10 posts talking about how great Shakeology is. It's more than a little suspicious.

I know some posters use it and have done well with it (as they would with ANY sensible meal/exercise plan) so i am not knocking them. But yes, it does get suspicious for many of the posts about this company. Especiall when the top of the forum specifically says:
    If you truly love and feel passionate about a product, it's completely fine to talk about it and endorse it as long as you do not do so in a manner from which you might financially benefit.

This is one of those threads where I think users have chimed in as well as non-users giving alternatives. Though, ya know...there is a certain cult following.

This thread isn't bad. But I definitely seen threads where up to half the responses were from posters who seemed to join just to say that Shakeology is the best decision they've ever made, etc. etc.