My boss is taking me to lunch! (ungrateful whining)

Options
13»

Replies

• silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    For the record, I would never pass up steak or creme brulee, diet or no diet. Life is too short.

Same here. I usually indulge in appetizers, order a salad with a giant steak, eat salad and two bites of the steak and take the rest home. If you want it, eat it. Eat whatever YOU want. Who cares about your coworkers? YOU'RE the one losing the weight. Not them.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    This has salad on it....

heartattack.jpg

Grilled cheese bun, bacon, a dab of lettuce, and is that fried eggs? Oh my giddy aunt!! I think it's fried eggs on a burger with cheese!! This is a must have!!

Is the bread just a pair of grilled cheese sandwiches, or is that a pair of monte cristos?

Grilled cheese, bacon and egg cheeseburger!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    heartattack.jpg

Oh. My. Clogging. Arteries!!!!!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Last time our client took us out to a steak place I got the steak salad, and it was delicious.
    If your coworkers give you crap, the first time saying something to them would be along the lines of "Yeah, this is what I want to eat, I get it, it's different from what you want, big deal" the second time would be "Really? This is all you have to tease me about? My food choices?" the potential third time "Knock it off already, crap's annoying." and if there would be a fourth "Do you really want to go to HR over harassment due to my lunch choices?". See, a natural progression of STFU.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Rough. A free lunch and a chance to get away from your job... which you have...

*looks at PBJ and baby carrots*

I would hate to have to eat at a decent reataurant too.

I understand it may seem like she's whining about a petty issue and yes, it's great that she has a job and is getting appreciated... but, sometimes it can be a big deal when people say crap about what you eat. My (female) co-worker and I get it all the time from our own field staff and from vendors we deal with. Comments are often said about what we do & eat.

Two recent examples of actual things said to us:

Eating a donut someone brought to a staff meeting- "Isn't that going to go straight to your hips?"

Getting a piece of cake from the awards lunch at the conference WE PLANNED- "Are you allowed to eat that?"

OP- good advice from people on here. Order the salad if that's what you really want and just say how much you like fresh salads or the too hot excuse. You need to do what is good for you and try your best to ignore. Just be simple and short and hopefully, you'll shut down any comments.

My last job was horrible in this regard. Comments when you eat well. Comments when you eat poorly. (from the same people) .. one day "a little brownie's not gonna kill you" .. next day, when you decide on a little treat .. "thought you were on a diet"

It was constant ...

Manager was very stereotypically italian, in terms of the mangia!! mangia!! mentality. We had frequent potlucks and he would actually put food on peoples plates ...

At my new job .. 6 months in, and nobody has commented on my food.

I think it's true of any place for the most part. I hear comments everday from people whether I am having a good day, or a bad. I just answer their questions, or tell them no when they encourage me to be naughty. I don't give a crud what they think. :shrug:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Rough. A free lunch and a chance to get away from your job... which you have...

*looks at PBJ and baby carrots*

I would hate to have to eat at a decent reataurant too.

I understand it may seem like she's whining about a petty issue and yes, it's great that she has a job and is getting appreciated... but, sometimes it can be a big deal when people say crap about what you eat. My (female) co-worker and I get it all the time from our own field staff and from vendors we deal with. Comments are often said about what we do & eat.

Two recent examples of actual things said to us:

Eating a donut someone brought to a staff meeting- "Isn't that going to go straight to your hips?"

Getting a piece of cake from the awards lunch at the conference WE PLANNED- "Are you allowed to eat that?"

OP- good advice from people on here. Order the salad if that's what you really want and just say how much you like fresh salads or the too hot excuse. You need to do what is good for you and try your best to ignore. Just be simple and short and hopefully, you'll shut down any comments.

My last job was horrible in this regard. Comments when you eat well. Comments when you eat poorly. (from the same people) .. one day "a little brownie's not gonna kill you" .. next day, when you decide on a little treat .. "thought you were on a diet"

It was constant ...

Manager was very stereotypically italian, in terms of the mangia!! mangia!! mentality. We had frequent potlucks and he would actually put food on peoples plates ...

At my new job .. 6 months in, and nobody has commented on my food.

I think it's true of any place for the most part. I hear comments everday from people whether I am having a good day, or a bad. I just answer their questions, or tell them no when they encourage me to be naughty. I don't give a crud what they think. :shrug:

Indeed.

I think this is less the case of OP's coworkers needing to STFU as it is of OP just needing to HTFU.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Order a salad and put a flask with vodka in your purse. Life really isn't as hard as you are making it.