Losing weight for health or vanity?

Options

Replies

• SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I am doing it to feel good about myself whi cares if its for vanity or health as long as it makes you happy
    For me nothing taste as good as skinny feels.
    Likewise! Exept my motto is Nothing tastes as good as FIT feels!!! :glasses:
  • gonzal15
    gonzal15 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost it for both..But damn it feels good to be gangstahhh:)

Me too!!! A part of you inside wants to be comfortable in your own skin and losing some unwanted weight helps
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Both. And sex. I don't know if that comes under health or vanity.

I believe that's under health, as it's a necessary function for survival..at least for me :laugh:
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Both. For sure, both.
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    40% health
    60% mental health (vanity)
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Difficult.
    Vanity was/is probably one of the major motivators for me. I am 23 yr old. I did not have any major physical health issues at the time I decided to lose weight, other than being fat. BUT I would say I had a few mental health issues like really low self esteem, some depression/anxiety and constant fatigue that I was battling with. So becoming more active and eating better has helped me in ways I didn't think about. Preventing illness SHOULD be a major motivator, I do want to be healthy and live a long life.

I would say: Vanity (50%), confidence/de-stressor/ability to love myself (35%), Health and disease prevention (15%).
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    First I was losing it for health. Then when I lost 30+ lbs and entered a "healthy weight range" for my height, I continued for vanity reasons.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    January of 2012 my weight was at the highest, 187lbs. I was considered obese & I was in straight denial about it. I was an emotional eater & all i thought about was food. The thought of diet & exercise was completely overwhelming... it just turned me off to lose weight. But I was so insecure about my body & didnt love myself. So I decided to make a change.

At first, losing weight was about "looks". I just wanted to look "hot". So I followed a strict diet & worked out constantly. I was miserable!! I was miserable because I was losing weight for the wrong reasons! I would workout and diet for a week & got no results, so I gave up. And I did this for months.

I realized I needed to love myself & do this for my health! Once I realized this, the weight literally began to fall off. I changed my lifestyle. I enjoy eating fruits & veggies. I enjoy cooking clean meals. I found workouts that are fun & im living an active life.

Im happy I made this mistake because now I can set the example & share my knowledge. People are shocked when I tell them I lost weight by eating healthy & exercise. All together I lost 60lbs!

Looking good is just the perk of a healthy lifestyle.

Has anyone else come to this realization? :)

pft almost purely vanity, and a little bit for performance. I was at a healthy bmi before I cut weight ;D
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I do it for the health part of it, to keep me motivated, especially when I am seeing little or no progress, but deep down inside, it is a little bit of the other as well. .
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Both. And sex. I don't know if that comes under health or vanity.

I agree totally about the sex.
  • Randa99
    Randa99 Posts: 1
    Options
    I really now thinking like this, i am losing weight because I deserve to live healthy and good looking, to feel satisfy and happy about myself.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

. But, realistically I know that even when I get to a healthy weight I am still going to look freakish.

I know. I think I will have major stomach unsightliness, like sagging skin and stretchmarks. The rest of me has a lot of stretchmarks too, so I don't think I will ever look good in anything except clothes and a one piece swimsuit.

I used to be motivated by vanity, but I am not really anymore. Functional health and well being is the major priority for me.
  • Brebrelynne
    Brebrelynne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to lose...cause of vanity. I can look kind of sort of hot when I'm smaller....curves from hell >:] lol jk about that but the real reason I'm kick starting again is because I want to look good when I see my guy :D
    And to be healthy >.> and stuff even though I love to eat...a lot
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Health was always the number one priority for me. But, lets face it, I was for both.
  • aprmay
    aprmay Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Both. Mostly healthy though
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Both! I'm 20 and I want to go out and have fun and wear hot outfits and not feel self conscious. So that's the vanity aspect. However I also love the feeling of getting stronger and faster and having more energy and being more optimistic about life. When I focus only on vanity it's too easy to get caught up in the calorie counting aspect and when all you want is a scale to go down rather than gaining better health, it's easy to lose motivation and confidence. It's a lot more fun when you eat healthy! So many more benefits :)
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I know I'm not at risk for bad health. I don't eat unhealthy food often (way less than often, really). Of course I want to stay healthy and hell, I wanna look hot lol. We all have that ego, don't lie. But health is always first.
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Aaron Sorkin did have a brilliant line in "Sports Night" : "He did it the same reason anybody did anything. To impress women." Yes, I did it for health but I'd like to be attractive too.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    my health was perfect at 180lbs, but now im alot fitter and im more vain lol. Im more motivated by my appearance and looking good for my partner
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    vanity! But the health benefits have been amazing and are now a huge motivating factor.