Walmart customers

Options

Replies

• LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just got home from Walmart. It was the first time in about two years that I had gone.

I did notice that there was a higher percentage than normal of people who were wearing stretchy pants/shorts/capris than the general population. I don't think they were any fatter than, for example, my coworkers, but they were definitely poorly dressed. I usually don't go shopping in pants that don't have a button and a zipper. Stretchy pants are usually for working out and for sleeping. It gives a lazy appearance to people, whether or not they are actually lazy.

I rarely wear pants with a button, and tend to stick to "yoga" pants (stretchy, athletic wear) because of the fact that I am losing weight so rapidly that I don't fit in a pair of jeans for more than a couple weeks and the stretchy clothes fit longer without having to spend my hard earned money on jeans... This isn't to say that I don't look nice just because I'm in athletic gear. I still make sure I look decent. Stretchy pants do not make people look lazy, being unkempt with dirty shirts and messy hair etc.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I remember reading something along these lines in a psych class...may be off but could also be part of it.
    Confirmation bias. It skews our perception in so many ways and is one of the reasons why collecting data is necessary to good science. :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    i get all sorts in my Walmart.

The other day i was stopped by a customer who exclaimed.. " Gurrrl i love whatchoo wearin'! you look like you're going to a weddin'!!"

...i was just wearing...normal every day clothes.:noway:

Ha!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I see all sorts of people at my Wal Mart. Fat and thin, unkempt and well groomed. My son however works for wal mart in the inventory control department and he says he has seen everything. he can keep us amused for hours with stories about the people of wal mart.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Look at the crap walmart sells as "food" its all processed prepackaged garbage i shop there some because well i live in alaska choices are extremely over priced fred myers and save way or walmart. People dont like to have to put effort into their food anymore. I have learned to really enjoy cooking. Its helped A LOT.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I see all sorts of people at my Wal Mart. Fat and thin, unkempt and well groomed. My son however works for wal mart in the inventory control department and he says he has seen everything. he can keep us amused for hours with stories about the people of wal mart.

Lol i bet thats any heavy populated store even the small px here on post is not exempt
  • dreamingofhealthy
    dreamingofhealthy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This must only be an American phenomena in Canada I have yet to see these "Walmart people"

You can see all kinds at www.peopleofwalmart.com
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm poor as **** and I don't shop at Walmart for the reason that no matter how busy it is there is never more than one lane open to checkout and im ALWAYS behind people with designer purses and keys to a benz that are paying in food stamps. Although being poor and my husband and I working full time and making a combined income of 32000 a year, we missed qualifying for food stamps by 33 dollars a month. ( having this extra help could enable me to finish my college degree and buy a car since I don't have one) so, basically I get INFURIATED every time. Ain't no body got time fo 'dat. Bitter? I guess I am. I do, however, shop in stretchy pants and flip flops. I live in a low income area and I guess I just don't care, like everyone else. Eating healthy on a budget is difficult unless you have the knowledge, patience, and desire to do so. Many people do not. A lot of them don't know any better. Being poor has not stopped me from being healthy, in fact.. Being so poor that I can't afford a car means that I walk places all the time. So, that's a plus....
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    Because those stores don`t carry their sizes and many times the staff working there is mean to larger sized people.

This post was supposed to answer a question as to why these people shop at Walmart and not at Nordstrom or Abercrombie, sorry.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Overweight people are everywhere. Like any store, I see a combination of fit and thin people at my Walmart. I have limited funds and do almost all of my grocery shopping there. It's not exclusive to Walmart...
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    To clarify I see many people of all shapes and sizes at Walmart, the part to which I am referring is the manner of dress. Good Lord do people not own mirrors?
  • meeper123
    Options
    That people of walmart site is erm diffrent lol not so much the bigger people but some of that is just soooooo bad lol
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Good Lord do people not own mirrors?
    I think this so often in my little town....
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I see "People of WalMart" folks all over the place. To Wally World's defense, they regularly have the cheapest and nicest produce in the area, short of me having off on Saturday morning to hit the farmer's market.

That said, shopping there is quite frustrating due to it feeling dirty, cramped and messy. And, it's always busy.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Alot of shaming going on in this thread.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Low income doesnt have to eqaul no class and being overwieght in fact one should expect to be thinner becasue thier lack of food. I have seen some "walmart people in my day but I have seen these individauls in other places too,Some just dont have enough common sense to put on clothes or clothes that fit when they leave the house it doesnt matter if you are smart or not the brightest crayon you know when something is inappropriate or not, so Id say lack of care perhaps more so.

Its sad we even have any issues with low income or homelss to begin here in the US we have more than we need and always want more ...just my 2 cents

not looking for a political debate .

Have you ever tried to raise a family of 6 on $300 worth of food stamps a month? Yes they can't afford much, but what they can afford is the high fat, processed crap, thats been shoved down our throats for years. It's called wellfare fat, and yes its horrid. But if the junk is all they can afford then thats it. I've been at the point where my children had to live of Ramen noodles and Mac n Cheese, and we have fought our way up from there. But there are a lot of people out there, who are unable to.
  • meeper123
    Options
    I see "People of WalMart" folks all over the place. To Wally World's defense, they regularly have the cheapest and nicest produce in the area, short of me having off on Saturday morning to hit the farmer's market.

That said, shopping there is quite frustrating due to it feeling dirty, cramped and messy. And, it's always busy.

Yeah that's true
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    [

Think of it as inspiration.

So why would these women only be shopping at wal-mart? Why would we not expect to see them in a Nordstroms, LL Bean, Abercrombie and Fitch, Williams & Sonoma, or a Whole Foods? Sorry my argument is not quite fully formed, but I see a class/racial thing developing.
    Because there is a direct correlation between poverty and overweight. Not only in the US, but in many other places.
    Poor people are forced to buy the cheapest items as far as food and consumer goods are concerned and maybe in the US ( I don't know for sure ) that is WalMart. People who do not make a living wage or live of government assistance just cannot shop at l.L.Bean or Whole Foods.

Hmmm... I disagree with the government assistance thing, at least where I live. The amount people get in food stamps is ridiculous. If I were on welfare, my family and I would get over $550 a month in foodstamps, for me and two children under the age of 5. That is ridiculous. With my budget I can BARELY afford half of that, IF THAT, and am trying to make the best decisions I can for us to eat fresh and healthy foods. It really irritates me to get inline behind a family with two shopping carts full of food, with barely (if any) fresh vegetables and fruits, and see them whip out a food stamp card. (Mostly because I have overheard these people bragging about how much they get a month while in line in front of me, and it makes me want to CRY!)

And yes, I have done the form on our state website and that is how I know how much I would get if I was on welfare. But since I work, I get nothing. I think the amount they give is insane, and they need to teach people on the program how to use coupons and shop sensibly for LESS MONEY!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    People on low incomes need to work hard to stretch their money every month. Foods with lots of carbs but little of any other nutrients are cheap and filling. If you were a parent of 4 young children, and you had only $25 for groceries, I bet you would be buying a lot of bread, macaroni, and other starchy foods to fill those little tummies.

Agreed, but what about the sheer quantity of food that they're eating? Who do you blame for that?

As for WalMart - it does seem like there is is higher percentage of morbidly obese people, but I suppose that could just be perception. What's definitely high is the ratio of people who are dressed in inappropriate and/or unflattering ways.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I find this comment to be totally judgmental and ridiculous. You must be so focused on your
    own weight that is all you see at your Walmart. Our community has 2 big Walmart Super Centers,
    our basic source for groceries. LOOK AROUND AGAIN AND NOTICE ALL PEOPLE OF ALL
    SIZES. FIND COMPASSION AND KINDNESS!!
    Uplift all those who use Myfitness to better themselves.
    We should all come to this forum for kindness, compassion, understanding and encouragement.

^^ this! <3