Woman with ab

Options
13»

Replies

• littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    f girls with abs :laugh: naw I can't hate I love that sheesh :flowerforyou: :love: :love: but there's women out there on a thread saying they hate the V can you believe that

pssssh what are you talking about hahaha... :laugh:
  • littlelaurie14
    Options
    raptor.JPG

!! LOL
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I work with a girl who talks about this all the time now that she started going to the gym this year. She always says to me that she "thinks girls with muscles and 6 packs are gross" and that she just wants to look "toned". This is why she continues using the elliptical everyday for 45 mins and the heaviest thing she picks up is 5 lbs. I've tried telling her that the only way she's going to look "toned" like she wants is if she loses fat and gains MUSCLE! But she's scared to lift weights...so she will then go on to say that she "doesn't want to look manly and have a ripped 6 pack" (as if it's magically going to somehow be easy for her to achieve) but wants abs like mine and asks what I do to get my stomach defined but not "manly". She's then sooo shocked to hear that I lift 'heavy' weights. SURPRISE! It was also interesting for me to find out that she has a lower body fat % than I do, but she's wasting away any good muscle tone she had by being a cardio bunny.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on it....people equate "abs" to what you see on a bodybuilder stage.

I know a few women who are fitness competitors....when they are in ultra low bf% states on stage, glistened up, it puts out a certain "picture"....now I happen to love that picture, but that's just me.

But I have also seen these women when they are not in "competition" shape, and not performing....at those times...it isn't as "pronounced" as people think.

I love me some abs...and I think most women make them look better than most men do.
  • MizPassion
    MizPassion Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think she did anything wrong by posting her opinion. People have different opinions about what they find attractive. It doesn't seem like her opinion was directed towards anyone? I personally think muscle definition is attractive on females. I think everyone has a right to find whatever body type they find attractive.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I would bet that people that do not like abs-do not have them. Most of the guys I know that are in shape (visible abs) like very much visible abs on women. I am one of those guys:) The only thing I am envious of is that women can get visible abs at about 14% body fat, whereas guys must get to about 10% to have the same visible abs.
    Women** with abs** lol wow.... *facepalm*
    I just saw on facebook a status that someone posted that "women with abs are scary", along with comments from people agreeing that women with visible "manly" abs they think look "gross". I will quote.. "*****es be looking like hotdogs about to explode in the microwave" and "I want abs but not those kind, ew"

Sigh.

It's kind of discouraging the way some people look at strong, fit women.

I can get visible abs at a higher percent than 14% (for sure). :flowerforyou:

Basically, everyone has their own preference, there isn't a right or wrong/attractive or unattractive. Honestly, while most people have their preference, most will go outside of that.
  • carchie94
    carchie94 Posts: 45
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think she did anything wrong by posting her opinion. People have different opinions about what they find attractive. It doesn't seem like her opinion was directed towards anyone? I personally think muscle definition is attractive on females. I think everyone has a right to find whatever body type they find attractive.

Well, sure, but there's a difference between saying:

"I don't find women with abs attractive."

and

"Women with abs are gross."

It's basic tactful expression of personal preference. How many people would be offended if she'd said, "I think fat girls are gross and ugly?" It's even more amusing that she's targeting a body type anyone with a bit of knowledge about working out and dieting should respect.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    not all people like the muscly look on women. and some of them try to put them down to make themselves feel better, same with skinny bashing and fat bashing. some guys (even if they themselves are muscly) want their women 'soft' and curvy rather than lean and strong. just stick to what YOU want and like.
  • littlelaurie14
    Options

Well, sure, but there's a difference between saying:

"I don't find women with abs attractive."

and

"Women with abs are gross."

It's basic tactful expression of personal preference. How many people would be offended if she'd said, "I think fat girls are gross and ugly?" It's even more amusing that she's targeting a body type anyone with a bit of knowledge about working out and dieting should respect.

Bingo!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I work with a girl who talks about this all the time now that she started going to the gym this year. She always says to me that she "thinks girls with muscles and 6 packs are gross" and that she just wants to look "toned". This is why she continues using the elliptical everyday for 45 mins and the heaviest thing she picks up is 5 lbs. I've tried telling her that the only way she's going to look "toned" like she wants is if she loses fat and gains MUSCLE! But she's scared to lift weights...so she will then go on to say that she "doesn't want to look manly and have a ripped 6 pack" (as if it's magically going to somehow be easy for her to achieve) but wants abs like mine and asks what I do to get my stomach defined but not "manly". She's then sooo shocked to hear that I lift 'heavy' weights. SURPRISE! It was also interesting for me to find out that she has a lower body fat % than I do, but she's wasting away any good muscle tone she had by being a cardio bunny.
    Unless she's doing more than 2-3 hours of cardio every single day and not eating sensibly, she's not losing muscle, she's just not gaining it. The fact that she has lower body fat speaks for the effectiveness of cardio. Ironically her lower BF% makes it easier for her to show her muscles if she decides to lift weights!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I just like to say to myself, "Idiots".

In the same tone that Deborah on Everybody Loves Raymond calls her husband, "Idiot."
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Unless she's doing more than 2-3 hours of cardio every single day and not eating sensibly, she's not losing muscle, she's just not gaining it. The fact that she has lower body fat speaks for the effectiveness of cardio. Ironically her lower BF% makes it easier for her to show her muscles if she decides to lift weights!

When I say 'wasting away' her muscle, I didn't necessarily mean that she's losing any of it, I just mean that she's not putting any of it to use. My point was that even despite her lower body fat % (it's only by 2%, if the number she told me is actually correct), she is still what many folks would describe as 'skinny fat'. Despite looking thin in clothing, she still has a very reasonable amount of visible body fat especially on her stomach that makes it look like she's a lot.....'softer' than she actually is. She has little to no muscle tone whatsoever. Also it's actually very easy to lose muscle if you don't eat properly, which in this case she doesn't.