over 40, slow metabolism...and the list goes on

Options
1235»

Replies

• L64Reed
    L64Reed Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    No top model contestant here...48 and loving it though! Welcome to myfitnesspal! YOLO!

L64Reed
  • 616Junebug
    616Junebug Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and can relate. Anyone who is positive and supportive can feel free to add me.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump for after church perusing
  • NomadicFlame
    Options
    I'm 46 and working bloody hard through Insanity. As a consequence of the sweat and pain, I am in pretty good shape. I'm in better shape than I was at 24 when I used to workout a lot. I also quit drinking a year ago and I eat sensibly (not all this protein shake lark though!)

There is a limit to what you can do as you get older (it takes me longer to recover and I have RSI etc), but if you want to get in bloody good shape, then you can... you just need to work bloody hard for it.
  • Darlerob
    Darlerob Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and I don't know if it's my age or the abuse I have done with the fab diets I tried over the years. The weight certainly isn't coming off as it used to but I love myfitnesspal and the support I get even when I have a bad week without loss. I know it's hard but I strongly feel if you keep at it, you will see results. I am new at this but I am determined to make it work.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and making the effort to get and stay fit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TheEffort/view/fat-to-skinny-with-a-touch-of-psychosis-571278

The aches and pains are becoming constant so I have to acknowledge my body's limitations. I still have areas needing improvement which, keeps me going daily.

:smile:
  • DebLynn67
    Options
    Just looking for support friends that aren't in it to be the next top model and understand being over 40 going on 50 and wanting to get healthier. It's tough when the metabolism is slowing down and the normal aches and pains of age aren't helping the cause.

I'm 45 and I hear ya!! No matter how big or small the effort, doing something is better than not doing anything! Feel free to add me
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, never been so 'light', never been so fit. I have less aches and pains then 17kg ago and I started running in the spring for the first time in my life.

This time I am continuing until I have reached my normal weight. It must be said, that I have never been of normal weight. So I don't buy the, oh poor me, I'm old and it's hard.

Don't tell yourself, it's hard, because, I'm getting older. Then it will be hard. Cleanse your negative thoughts, think positive and those postive thoughts will become your reality. Our thoughts and emotions are more powerful than you may think.

Good luck everyone!
  • NicciPopovic
    Options
    Am so loving this thread

I was 50 in June and also hit the dreaded menopause - although the way ive been feeling over the last couple of years ive been in it a long time.

Moved to France with Hubby a year ago and although ( thankfully I have not gained) I have not lost any. I was hoping I would have shifted a few lbs with the healthier way of life - ( I don't think the red wine has helped)

My daughter is getting married next August and I want to feel nice on the inside and outside for her special big day.

ive been on this site for a while and could do with a good network of friends.

Nicci :)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I'm 48. Strength training is a GREAT way to combat metabolism slow down.

Best of luck to you!! :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Will be 49 in January .... metabolism is dead. Hormones are gone and the intertube just gets bigger. It is depressing. And I LOVE to eat. I have to do this!!

No! No! It is not dead! Fight back! And yes, you can do it!! Strength train, natural hormone supplements if you are into that. Increase your lean body mass and you will increase the number of cals you burn just sitting around. What can be better than that? :drinker:

Oh - and I will be 49 in 9 days. :frown:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    The 50s are great!! I've gotten fit and gone to grad school! I've learned to dance and do zumba! I'm eating healthier (and better) than ever! I never could do push ups until I was in my fifties! And my gray hair is pretty! :drinker:

Welcome to a wonderful world.

I seriously :heart: you...