Do you like CATCALLS??

Options

Replies

• Gdeeaz
    Gdeeaz Posts: 60
    Options
    There is a difference between a compliment and being cat called. A compliment is fine but I hate catcalls. Most of the time the catcalls are crude and degrading and it leaves me feeling like a piece of meat and sometimes threatened.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have been honked at, yelled at, whistled at, and even howled at by people driving by while running. It is startling, annoying, and makes me uncomfortable.

One time I was running along the greenway and a man made a crude comment as he passed me on his bicycle. That really creeped me out and made me feel unsafe, especially since the greenway was practically deserted that day.

The only time I can remember enjoying being catcalled is the time I was running home from the gym and a man yelled "you're beautiful!" as he drove by. That was an actual compliment. The rest of them were not.
  • mdjcpa75
    mdjcpa75 Posts: 17
    Options
    I agree...at my age...and after my journey...I'll take it! I've worked hard to get to where I am and I love having someone notice! :wink:

This^^^^^^^^^
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, I don't mind. But I used to see this homeless guy shuffling up and down the street when I walked my dog - he looked like one of the Doobie Brothers. One day he randomly started calling out to me and humping his hips and pointing at his junk, and I thought, "you know, I see you everyday and our relationship has just taken a really awkward turn ....."

Oh my, how unfortunate. I hope you don't go that way anymore!
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that I've never been catcalled... Not sure if it's because I'm not attractive or just live in an area where that doesn't happen often. But something like the OP, someone saying "Looking good!" while I run, I wouldn't mind that. It would depend on the tone, I suppose, but I would think that's a positive encouragement. Personally, I would assume they meant "good for you for being active" rather than "Hey there hot stuff".

If it was something more lewd, that would be another story. I'm sure there are very few people who would like something vulgar screamed at them by a stranger while they go about their daily lives.
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I don't mind a subtle look or nod that let's me know I got it going on. Otherwise it's annoying.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    One time a group of guys started running up to me. I turned to look at them (keeping in mind what a bunch of moron/losers they were). They stopped, looked me up and down. Then the ring leader of the group actually said, "She's too intelligent to *kitten*", and they turned and walked away. I took that as a compliment (although not a pleasant experience).
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    depends on the cat call... something like what you experienced is cool... lewd type cat calls, not so much.

This. What the fella said to you, not so bad. It's when they are all pervy or explicitly sexual about it that irritates me.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I have been honked at, yelled at, whistled at, and even howled at by people driving by while running. It is startling, annoying, and makes me uncomfortable.

One time I was running along the greenway and a man made a crude comment as he passed me on his bicycle. That really creeped me out and made me feel unsafe, especially since the greenway was practically deserted that day.

The only time I can remember enjoying being catcalled is the time I was running home from the gym and a man yelled "you're beautiful!" as he drove by. That was an actual compliment. The rest of them were not.

Yeah, these are good examples of the distinction!
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It appears I am in the minority here, but no -- I don't like catcalls. They don't make me smile, they don't make me feel good about myself --- they make me wonder what on Earth possessed a complete stranger to think it's ok to make any sort of statement on my appearance by acting like a drunk frat boy, and then think I am rude because I am not flattered.

I don't mind it at all if somebody walks up to me and says something nice -- or uses a corny like as an attempt to start a conversation - but yelling something objectifying/whistling/making loud sounds at a random person you think is purdy with no intentions of speaking to them is not cool. It's creepy.

this exactly.

And then you get to play the fun game of figuring out if it's better to nervously smile and mumble "thanks" and encourage some creep, or ignore them and have them start yelling obscenities at you for being a stuck up b!tch.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Some catcalls are nicer than others. "Looking good" is a compliment. Crude comments are creepy.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I hate them. All forms of yelling, honking, whistling, commenting as I pass...all of it. Makes me feel gross, and especially makes me question my wardrobe choices. I always immediately feel like I'm inappropriately dressed and need to go cover up. I live in a busy downtown area, so it happens almost daily, and I never get happier about it. I know a few guys are honestly just being nice, but it comes across crass, aggressive, and lacking in social skills to me. And I'm not particularly attractive, so I can't imagine how bad those same guys are with really good looking people. I shudder.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I take the respectful ones as a compliment. The vulgar ones I take as a challenge to make them feel uncomfortable about what they said.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It appears I am in the minority here, but no -- I don't like catcalls. They don't make me smile, they don't make me feel good about myself --- they make me wonder what on Earth possessed a complete stranger to think it's ok to make any sort of statement on my appearance by acting like a drunk frat boy, and then think I am rude because I am not flattered.

I don't mind it at all if somebody walks up to me and says something nice -- or uses a corny like as an attempt to start a conversation - but yelling something objectifying/whistling/making loud sounds at a random person you think is purdy with no intentions of speaking to them is not cool. It's creepy.

this exactly.

And then you get to play the fun game of figuring out if it's better to nervously smile and mumble "thanks" and encourage some creep, or ignore them and have them start yelling obscenities at you for being a stuck up b!tch.

Exactly!!!
  • khoff170
    khoff170 Posts: 19
    Options
    I work in a federal detention facility... it's not hard to get catcalls from incarcerated males... :laugh: BUT! It's taken as a sign of disrespect - that's why we have handcuffs and hot sauce!

I guess it depends on the source and their level of respect tied to it; I agree with others that creepy comments and leering people are not fun.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    At my age, I'll take any attention given. LOL.

I do like it when walkers or other runners give me kudos for my efforts.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    No, they are not cool. I usually just smile to acknowledge, but only out of fear because some dudes are mutha f-ing crazy and start **** like "what, you're too good for me" or crapola like that. So, I just nod or smile and try to get away.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Personally... for me it's right up there with someone calling me "babe". I'm not a talking pig, thank you. And... women were not put on this earth for men's eye candy or whatever. I think it's kind of disrespectful. But.. that's just me.
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I take them as a compliment!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Getting a compliment is nice. Feeling like a piece of meat, not so much.

Yup. I have two customers who are old enough to be my parents who make comments. One of them always greets me with something like "hey gorgeous," "hey beautiful," or "good morning, smiley!" I take that as a compliment. He's always polite. I have another customer who says hello, stares at my boobs, and then says, "nice blouse!" I'm not into that. These aren't catcalls, but the same logic applies.

I find it a little offensive that someone would catcall to a woman who is with her child; while it's not always the case, the existence of a child often indicates that there is a significant other in the woman's life. Then again, what you experienced sounded more like a compliment (as opposed to a "hey baby, I'd like to give YOU a workout!"). As long as it didn't bother you, that's all that matters!