Misconceptions of Organic food(s)

Options
magerum
magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
This will probably be TL;DR for most, but here it is anyways.

It is the opinion of many Americans that organic food is healthier and safer than conventional foods; an opinion that the organic food industry strives to cultivate. However, as former Agriculture Secretary Dan Glickman pointed out, "The organic label is a marketing tool. It is not a statement about food safety."

One major misconception about the organic food industry is that their products are not grown using pesticides. This is not entirely accurate. It is true that organic producers do not use any synthetic pesticides. However, they use many "organic" pesticides, which are pesticides derived from natural products. As Alex Avery of the Center For Global Food Issues points out, "Organic pesticides are the most heavily used agricultural pesticides in the U.S." Pesticides used by organic farmers account for over 25% of the total pesticide use in the United States. This figure does not include the most commonly used organic pesticide, Bt, because it cannot be measured in pounds per active chemical use. Also, many other common organic pesticides are not included in this figure because they are not measured, either.

Two of the most common organic pesticides, copper and sulfur, are used as fungicides by organic growers. Because they are not as effective as their synthetic counterparts, they are applied at significantly higher rates. This is disturbing because both sulfur and copper have greater environmental toxicity than their synthetic counterparts. The two most commonly used insecticides by organic farmers are Bt and oil (usually petroleum or soybean oil). However, a substantial amount of oil has to be used to achieve the same results as synthetic insecticides. Other organic pesticides are generally extracted from plants. One such pesticide, pyrethrum, has a demand satisfied by the hand harvest of about 600 million flowers per year. This accounts for a significant amount of green space that could otherwise be used as wildlife preserve or to grow food.

One type of pesticide that organic growers admittedly do not use, in any form, are herbicides. However, the development of herbicides has led to low-till farming methods that significantly decrease soil erosion and increase the sustainability of agricultural land. Bereft of this option, organic growers must rely on methods that lead to increased soil erosion, unless they maintain a strict crop rotation schedule.

Another type of pest control used by organic growers is so-called "biocontrol" techniques. This type of pest control relies on insects, fungi, or bacteria to destroy pests that are harmful to crops. Organic farmers promote this as a less environmentally damaging method of pest control. However, the introduction of such biocontrol can have a debilitating effect on local ecosystems. Since most biocontrol organisms are not native to the areas in which they are employed, they have led to substantial ecological devastation in several areas.

Not only do organic farmers make the claim that their products are environmentally safe, they also claim that organic products are healthier. However, there is no evidence that this is the case. In addition, organic produce causes an increased risk of food poisoning. According to the CDC, 36% of people suffering from E. coli O157:H7 infection contracted it from organic food. This strain of E. Coli is particularly vicious-it kills thousands of people every year, and can cause substantial damage to the liver or kidneys. Organic foods are susceptible to E. Coli infection because manure and compost are commonly used fertilizers in organic farming, and both often contain large amounts of the bacteria.

Although organic farms make the claim that their products are better for the environment, produce less toxic chemicals, and are safer and healthier, the facts do not seem to bear these claims out. Although it is true that there are potential long-term health threats stemming from the use of synthetic fertilizers, the evidence for such a threat has yet to be substantiated in the nearly 40 years since this danger was first identified in Rachel Carson's Silent Spring. However, the risks of using organic foods are known and substantiated. This is not to say that organic foods are substantially unsafe-feel free to eat organic. Just be aware that the extra bucks that you're shelling out don't provide an extra dime of safety or nutrition.

Read the links below. I pulled out the more important ones. Stuff labeled "Organic" isn't what you think.

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=3f34f4c22f9aa8e6d9864cc2683cea02&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title07/7cfr205_main_02.tpl

§ 205.601 Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic crop production.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9bfd46a9344e3e012d60638859ce1ded&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7.354.2&idno=7

§ 205.603 Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic livestock production.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9bfd46a9344e3e012d60638859ce1ded&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7.354.4&idno=7

§ 205.605 Nonagricultural (nonorganic) substances allowed as ingredients in or on processed products labeled as “organic” or “made with organic (specified ingredients or food group(s)).”

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9bfd46a9344e3e012d60638859ce1ded&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7.354.6&idno=7

§ 205.606 Nonorganically produced agricultural products allowed as ingredients in or on processed products labeled as “organic.”

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=9bfd46a9344e3e012d60638859ce1ded&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7.354.7&idno=7

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I like it when smart people post smart stuff!

2 thumbs up :)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thanks for the info. :smile:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    In for the inevitable arguments.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    YUMMY. Roundup!
  • magerum
    Options
    In for the inevitable arguments.

I'm thinking it is probably TL:DR for anyone that would normally blindly defend organics, tbh.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    If no other part of this post is read, this is the most important part:
    It is the opinion of many Americans that organic food is healthier and safer than conventional foods; an opinion that the organic food industry strives to cultivate. However, as former Agriculture Secretary Dan Glickman pointed out, "The organic label is a marketing tool. It is not a statement about food safety."

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Animal treatment associated with inorganic foods is my problem.
    but for all the people who will attack with PETA, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqYYXswono
    Temple Grandin's video. Autistic woman smarter than 99% of the people out there.
  • sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I do not disagree with you and I obviously do not disagree with the research and evidence.

However, the produce I eat is still 90% organic. There are many other reasons why I, and others, choose to buy organic produce.
  • magerum
    Options
    I do not disagree with you and I obviously do not disagree with the research and evidence.

However, the produce I eat is still 90% organic. There are many other reasons why I, and others, choose to buy organic produce.

You are more than entitled to eat anything you want. If it's not for "safety" or "extra nutrition" mind if I ask what the other reasons are?
  • DatMurse
    Options

You are more than entitled to eat anything you want. If it's not for "safety" or "extra nutrition" mind if I ask what the other reasons are?
    i bet its environmental and animal treatment like myself
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    So? What's your point exactly? That we should all gobble down regular GMO food sprayed with MORE pesticides?
    Very logic.
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    okay, but organic DOES mean NON-GMO. that alone is worth the extra cost to me.
  • DatMurse
    Options
    So? What's your point exactly? That we should all gobble down regular GMO food sprayed with MORE pesticides?
    Very logic.

lol @ pesticides = GMO

thank god I can wash pesticides off

What makes you think you are an organic person?
    You take medication dont you?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked at the number of people that seem to think organic means homegrown or available at Farmer's Markets. I'm not sure if they even tie it to pesticides, or just think no one local would use pesticides.

My biggest beef is the pesticides that are systematically wiping out the honeybee population.
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    Very logic.

lol @ pesticides = GMO

Where did you see that I said pesticides = GMO. Can't read?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Very logic.

lol @ pesticides = GMO

You can only wash a fraction of pesticide residue away. It is sprayed on the whole plant and the soil, and washed off the plants into the soil by rain, where it gets absorbed by the roots.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Good info.

I buy my food from the grocery store 90% of the time. I grow and freeze what vegetables I can in the summer months. Only because they taste better. :wink:
  • DatMurse
    Options
    Very logic.

lol @ pesticides = GMO

Where did you see that I said pesticides = GMO. Can't read?
    maybe i cant

but what harm can the pesticides do ingested in small amounts? I am sure ingesting some of the bugs can be much worse than a pesticide depending on the type
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    The small amounts accumulate over time. Our liver and kidneys are not made to filter those kind of man-made chemicals.