Misconceptions of Organic food(s)

Options

Replies

• dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The small amounts accumulate over time. Our liver and kidneys are not made to filter those kind of man-made chemicals.

Better cleanse then.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for watching people crusade against the evil corporations and then fall for their organic marketing routine. Good stuff posted here.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    okay, but organic DOES mean NON-GMO. that alone is worth the extra cost to me.

Bingo.. until there is complete transparency with GMO and verified results of the effects of all the various types of GMO on people.. i'm gonna avoid it all.

what does TL:DR mean???

ETA: Also agree that organic tastes better.. :~)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MONSANTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil::devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    what does TL:DR mean???

Too long; didn't read

I admit I only skimmed it. :blushing:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    We are transitioning into grass-fed and more ethically treated regional/local beef.

This always makes me happy. There is more supporting evidence that grass fed beef is healthier for you(kinda obvious) but we will be happier and our food will be happier.

Not for nothing, but grass fed+finished beef is some of the best tasting beef I've ever had. Most beef is grass fed due to cost, but then feedlots feed them a high corn and soy finishing diet to increase fat.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this. It is something I've been wondering about, but haven't much researched yet. This confirms what I was starting to hear.

To address the quote above, are we sure about that? Yes, it is law, but even Whole Foods has admitted they have GMO foods.
    http://www.infowars.com/whole-foods-admits-its-organic-foods-contain-genetically-modified-ingredients/
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1599110,00.html
  • renwicker
    renwicker Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read. Not that I ever bought into the whole "Organic" thing, but I do try and buy locally when applicable. Generally, around here, that means organic. As stated before, there is a taste difference in a handful of the foods, and I try and avoid GMOs whenever possible. That being said...I still shop at the chain grocery stores for the sweet deals too.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Excerpt from the EPA re: accumulation: http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/cumulative/

"The Agency has determined so far that five groups of pesticides each have a common mechanism of toxicity and require cumulative risk assessments because exposure to these pesticide groups may pose potential risks to human health and the environment. The five groups are: the organophosphates, N-methyl carbamates, triazines, chloroacetanilides, and pyrethrins/pyrethroids."

Half of synthetic pesticides used in today's crops are carcinogenic. That is enough to make me not want to ingest them, or feed them to my children--same for herbicides, and fungicides!

And the EPA is being lobbied by one of the big AG companies to up the "safe" limit of glyphosate( commonly used herbicide) to even higher levels. This is in direct contradiction to a recent study that shows how much damage can occur from exposure....it damages the P450 enzymatic system (liver)--which you should know.....is the same enzymatic system that processes alcohol! So all you beer aficionado's probably just sat up a bit more straight! It also--over time--causes cellular damage to systems all over the body. Here is the study if you want to take a look (it's a PDF):

https://www.google.com/search?q=release+of+a+study+showing+that+glyphosate+inhibits+the+growth+of+beneficial+gut+bacteria+and+leads+to+the+overgrowth+of+pathogenic+bacteria.&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS385US385&aq=f&oq=release+of+a+study+showing+that+glyphosate+inhibits+the+growth+of+beneficial+gut+bacteria+and+leads+to+the+overgrowth+of+pathogenic+bacteria.&aqs=chrome.0.57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I agree with some of the previous posters: I prefer local, organic is a bonus, grass/pastured/happy animals is a must, as is Non-GMO because of the lack of long term safety testing (read: none!). What I dislike is that we as nation are subsidizing chemically produced food, which becomes highly processed ( no nutrition) and adds to our nations chronic illness issues. Your tax dollars are being used to subsidize these crops! On the other hand, organic farms must "prove" that they aren't using synthetic pesticides, are using approved pesticides ( and must prove it), must pay for the "organic" status, and are not even allowed the same insurance safety nets or marketing dollars provided to conventional farmers. Folks--the playing field is not level here! This is just bad business, and we are all paying for it--regardless of what it is you think you are buying!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So? What's your point exactly? That we should all gobble down regular GMO food sprayed with MORE pesticides?
    Very logic.

lol @ pesticides = GMO

thank god I can wash pesticides off

What makes you think you are an organic person?
    You take medication dont you?

Where did you see that I said pesticides = GMO. Can't read?
    maybe i cant

but what harm can the pesticides do ingested in small amounts? I am sure ingesting some of the bugs can be much worse than a pesticide depending on the type

The small amounts accumulate over time. Our liver and kidneys are not made to filter those kind of man-made chemicals.
    Says you.
    Now provide some evidence because I'm not taking your word for it since your credentials amount to "Internet Poster".

Why do I need to do the job for you?

Because you're the one making the claim. Burden of proof is on you.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Is that a pic of a pop tart ice cream sammich??? lol. Touche!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Is that a pic of a pop tart ice cream sammich??? lol. Touche!

Yes it is.

<--- Red Velvet pop tarts w/ Red Velvet Cake Ben & Jerry's ice cream
  • magerum
    Options
    So I posted this Friday afternoon before a 3 day weekend. Let us see if it gets more legs on a Tuesday morning. Hope everyone ate all the food this weekend.
  • KatLifter
    Options

Yes, it is law, but even Whole Foods has admitted they have GMO foods.
    http://www.infowars.com/whole-foods-admits-its-organic-foods-contain-genetically-modified-ingredients/
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1599110,00.html
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    So? What's your point exactly? That we should all gobble down regular GMO food sprayed with MORE pesticides?
    Very logic.

You didn't get the point did you?

It's not safer. It's not more nutritious.

Your proposed worse alternative doesn't exist because there isn't a difference.
  • magerum
    Options
    Very logic.

You win.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Very logic.

How could there not be a difference? Whether one has or has not been proven more nutritious or safer, there is still a difference.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I was aware that organic food wasn't any more nutritionally beneficial than non organic however I was unaware of the impact it had on our environment.

Thanks for the read.

Two thumbs up.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    Very logic.

But! But! I found a doctor who says the toxins build up and cause heart disease!
    http://www.realfarmacy.com/world-renown-heart-surgeon-speaks-out-on-what-really-causes-heart-disease#4iofh9umjWroDuIv.01

Yes, he had his medical license revoked in 2008, but he said it, so it must be true.

[/sarcasm]
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Very logic.

How could there not be a difference? Whether one has or has not been proven more nutritious or safer, there is still a difference.

Spoken like a religious fanatic. It is because I believe it is.