Father is not happy about my 5K.

Options
1235»

Replies

• sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You've got two legs, you've got determination, you've got spunk, you do the 5K and you rock it like its never been rocked! We spend our lives trying to please other people when we really need to please ourselves sometimes. This 5K is for you, not your father. I know its hard to not think about what others think of you and what you're doing BUT you have to ignore them. Most of the time its the people who don't like change, and you are changing, that hold us back. But don't hold back, do as much as you can while you're here to do it. You'll be awesome! Good luck with your 5K! :happy:
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    If dad knows your doctor cleared you, it might help him to relax.

Why not invite your dad to join you at the race? Ask him to take pics and tell him where you might be on the course and what your overall time may be. He may find himself beaming at you and celebrating as you cross the finish line.

My two cents.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Anyone else ever run into family issue with your fitness?

I have the opposite problem. My children think I'm too old to do this. I can walk 3 miles without feeling too bent out of shape and they need to mind their own business. If I can do it then so can you.

My kids said the same thing last year when I did my first 5k...at the age of 43
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like him being protective.. <3

My Mom doesn't want me to sign up for ANY race because of what happened in Boston =/

I'm from the Boston area and plan on doing two this year.Most races don't draw the crowds of the Boston marathon
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like him being protective.. <3

My Mom doesn't want me to sign up for ANY race because of what happened in Boston =/

I'm from the Boston area and plan on doing two this year.Most races don't draw the crowds of the Boston marathon
    I just moved from Boston and did a race here in my new town because of what happened at the Marathon. You can't let actions like that control you. If you do, then the people who did it win.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    First of all, it sounds like your dad might be a bit like my mom. My mom was a bit controlling and would try to make me feel guilty for not obeying her after I left home at age 19. It took me a couple of years to get over it and realize that I was my own woman and didn't need her running my life. You're 25. You are the one who is in control of your life.

I ran a 5K 2 years ago. I had only been working out for 1 month at that point. I was not really overweight (maybe 8 lb), but I wasn't in perfect shape either. I did pretty good. If my bladder hadn't started leaking (having kids will do that to you) I would have probably run the whole thing. I alternated walking/running the last stretch.

So you're going to walk 3 miles? Good grief! What is he thinking? It's not like you're doing a marathon! Almost any healthy person could walk 3 miles without any training at all. Sure, they might be sore, but it wouldn't hurt them.

You won't faint. You won't die. You'll be fine. Just make sure you get some water part way through. They will probably be passing it out part way through. Electrolytes are even better if it's warm.

You may need to figure out a way to lovingly remind your dad that you are 25 years old and able to make your own decisions. It's hard, and it might hurt him, no matter how well you do it, but you need to do it for your own emotional health. Trust me. I know!
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Is your father an experienced runner?

Is he paying your entrance fee and providing your childcare, transportation and meals for the day of the 5K?

Is he a medical doctor with knowledge of a prior medical condition that could prove harmful to you?

No?

Then nod your head, tell him that you appreciate his concern, and go run/walk your 5K.

D@MN STRAIGHT! EXACTLY.
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Someone thinking I'm ridiculous when I talk about running or exercise in general.

If you feel ready for it, and most importantly if you WANT TO, then go ahead! It's your well-being you're talking about, that's the most important.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options

I have the opposite problem. My children think I'm too old to do this. I can walk 3 miles without feeling too bent out of shape and they need to mind their own business. If I can do it then so can you.

Sir, you are never too old. And I say that, because I was out run by the 87 year old guy with a walker at a 10 mile race. He blew past me like I was standing still. He blew past lots of people like that. So, tell your kids to stuff it. You either use it or lose it, and apparently you still have it, so you do your own thing! :)

And to the OP, if you feel ready then you are! 5K's are a lot of fun! :) Good luck in your race, and ask your dad to your next one with you.

I've never seen a race that allows a walker. Most specifically refuse walkers and canes. Some fun walks allow them, but races? Not that I've ever seen.

Just did the Cleveland Marathon, and was alongside a lady with a walker in the 10K walking division, I cramped up and slowed down, she blew right past me and many others. I highly doubt that you can 'exclude' anyone if they can keep the pace and sign the waiver.

It has nothing to do with their safety but that of other runners. Even Disney excludes them.

That has ADA violation written all over it. I don't think that would hold up under challenge.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Sir, you are never too old. And I say that, because I was out run by the 87 year old guy with a walker at a 10 mile race. He blew past me like I was standing still. He blew past lots of people like that. So, tell your kids to stuff it. You either use it or lose it, and apparently you still have it, so you do your own thing! :)

And to the OP, if you feel ready then you are! 5K's are a lot of fun! :) Good luck in your race, and ask your dad to your next one with you.

I've never seen a race that allows a walker. Most specifically refuse walkers and canes. Some fun walks allow them, but races? Not that I've ever seen.

Just did the Cleveland Marathon, and was alongside a lady with a walker in the 10K walking division, I cramped up and slowed down, she blew right past me and many others. I highly doubt that you can 'exclude' anyone if they can keep the pace and sign the waiver.

It has nothing to do with their safety but that of other runners. Even Disney excludes them.

That has ADA violation written all over it. I don't think that would hold up under challenge.

Not really as it's safety related. No different than not allowing a person who uses a cane the exit row seat on a plane.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm not over weight, but I do have asthma and my friends and family were quite upset when I started running. I needed family support too because of childcare. When it was clear I wasn't getting it, I bought a bob iron man to bring my daughter with me. To make a long story short, it's 2 years later, I've got my 3rd half marathon in October (it's the BAA half, the people who organize the boston marathon) and my asthma has never been better, the running helped it. And of course, running helps weight issues too.

So do your 5k. And work on gradually building up your running ability. Eventually if you keep at it, your dad will back off and probably end up proud of you for trying. But even if that doesn't happen , you should be proud because you brought about positive change in yourself.