OOH, challenge.
    I challenge someone not from the UK to tell me what this is:

Cornish-pasty-007.jpg

That's a Cornish pasty.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    Yeah, it was a cornish pasty :)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

Anyone from anywhere else want to do one?
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    What seems to be the common thread here is that apples baked in some sort of crust or pastry, and emulsified meat crammed into animal intestines and smoked are not exclusive to "American" cuisine.

Suddenly I feel the urge to go to store and pick up some granny smith apples and frankfurters.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    tomato gravy was a staple in our house, so was "red-eye" gravy.

chicory coffee and sassafras tea when I was sick with peppermint leaves in it.

The American South may not be fancy food, but it's usually made and grown real close to where it's served.

We hunt, we fish and a good portion of the foods that hit our tables still comes from the backyard and the woods and streams near us.

That was a strange thing being in the service and the food was boxed, canned or not recognizable to me. And worse they put sugar in the grits. *shudder*
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Mm mm Cornish pasty.... *drool*
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    America is a huge place with many different regional cuisines. I guess I do think of the Applebee's/Denny's/TGI Fridays sort of processed schlock as "American" restaurant food, but that is doing a disservice.

Someone earlier mentioned New England brown bread, lobster, chowder, etc. In the NY area the deli food is fantastic. Down in the Southeast it's BBQ ribs, collards, corn bread, red beans and rice. In TX there are Mexican flavors blended into a Southern style cuisine, along the gulf there's seafood in the mix. Northern California has amazing food. Sort of a French inspired celebration of all the fantastic produce and herbs you can get year round there, paired with wine.
  • lenore304
    lenore304 Posts: 17
    Options
    Texas does it right. Take an American classic like S'mores and deep fry it. Would anyone (American or no) care to take a guess as to what the second picture from the State Fair of Texas is?

5024318104_b04aebde73_z.jpg

5051312985_3c57ae135f.jpg
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Ok one of you UK folks need to post a recipe for Apple crumb
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The Brits have apple crumble with custard, which is wayyy better than apple pie in my opinion. :)
    You've never had MY apple pie. :-)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    OOH, challenge.

Cornish-pasty-007.jpg

a bridie. meat pastry type sandwhich baked or fried?

I'm in the UK, and I thought it looked like a bridie too!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    OOH, challenge.

Cornish-pasty-007.jpg

a bridie. meat pastry type sandwhich baked or fried?

I'm in the UK, and I thought it looked like a bridie too!

Never heard of a bridie, thought everyone in England at least knew a Cornish pasty when they see one lol

EDIT: A birdie is basically a Cornish pasty, just Scottish, with different pastry and no potatoe
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Texas does it right. Take an American classic like S'mores and deep fry it. Would anyone (American or no) care to take a guess as to what the second picture from the State Fair of Texas is?

Deep fried ravioli?

I like to do that with ricotta, then smother with honey. You don't need a mixing bowl so it's good camping food
  • debrag12
    Options

Deep fried ravioli?

I like to do that with ricotta, then smother with honey. You don't need a mixing bowl so it's good camping food

I thought that, it look horrid
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Frankfurters are German so it's funny the US claims 'franks'. Nope, they're not yours.
    Yes, we have apple pie too, almost every country has some form of apple pie. We've never considered it American here in Ireland

When we think of American food we think of corn syrup and huge portions of fake-food, fake potatoes, anything deep fried as if it's chicken, artificial sweeteners etc, basically not good stuff.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I grew up in switzerland, and hot dogs there are called Wieners, and they're considered the little step siblings of the bratwurst :-) we call a hotdog a wiener in half a loaf of french bread, with ketchup or mustard. note the bread isn't sliced open, but they poke a hole into it, squirt in the condiment then plop in the sausage.
    we also have many variations of apple pie, but the region i am from claims to be the origin of carrot cake, so i'll give you the apple.

when i think of 'typical american food' i think of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese, or pop tarts. those two i had never seen before going to the US as an exchange student. Mind, that could be blamed on my parents' idea of unhealthy food choices ;-) i'd never had decent peanut butter before then either....
  • debrag12
    Options
    what about

scottish-deep-fried-mars-bar-10-1000.jpg

Deep+Fried+Ice+Cream.1.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What you call a hotdog we would probably call an 'American hotdog', here a hotdog usually refers to a battered sausage on a stick.

We call that a Corn Dog.

When I think "American Cuisine" I think...

- Burgers hot off the grill topped with pickles, bacon, and cheese on a bun with ketchup and mustard....lots of mustard

- A juicy steak hot off the grill

- Slow smoked BBQ

- Fried Chicken

- Potato Salad

- Cole Slaw

- Potato Chips

Lots of other stuff too....I know a lot of people want to bag and say "processed ****"...well, I've traveled to numerous countries around the world and can get process **** food in most of them.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    what about

scottish-deep-fried-mars-bar-10-1000.jpg

Deep+Fried+Ice+Cream.1.jpg

That second pic looks like fried ice cream.