"American" food

Options

Replies

• kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Texas does it right. Take an American classic like S'mores and deep fry it. Would anyone (American or no) care to take a guess as to what the second picture from the State Fair of Texas is?

5024318104_b04aebde73_z.jpg

5051312985_3c57ae135f.jpg

I'm guessing the second one is deep fried beer.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Texas does it right. Take an American classic like S'mores and deep fry it. Would anyone (American or no) care to take a guess as to what the second picture from the State Fair of Texas is?

maybe fried ravioli?
  • keem88
    Options
    who knows what this tasty beverage is?

250px-Eggcream_zps941238d4.jpg
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Netherlands and pretty sure apple pie was invented by the Dutch :wink:

Different type of apple pie, yours is more of a sponge, when i tried it when i was in Amsterdam last year (tastey none the less but not what i was expecting but the local i went with tried explaining that to me!)

@debrag12 Deep fried marsbar and deep fried ice cream - both delish
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I hate apple pie and hot dogs and I've been living in America all my life.

I feel the same way! Well, I might not "hate" apple pie, but I don't care for it. I do loathe hot dogs.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

Root beer float?

EDIT: it looks like what I had as a kid, coke with ice cream
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    when i think american food i mainly think of stuff like tomatoes, corn, avocadoes, chocolate, peanuts, chicli pepper, vanilla, rasberries, strawberries, blackberries, potatoes, etc.. basically foods that only existed in the americas until they were exported

but i also sometimes think of things we do that no one else does food wise like lots of ice in cold beverages, root beer, savory popcorn, meatloaf

i dont necessarily think of hot dogs and apple pie as american, especially since every culture has some concept of meet squished into a cylinder that's quick and easy to consume
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    first thing that comes to mind when i think of American food is BBQ. Memphis, Texas, Carolina...
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm from the US, but I have some friends overseas who didn't know what s'mores were. I think those are a good example of an American treat

While studying at Jena, Germany, I introduced all my German friends to Rotel cheese dip, Moon Pies and RC cola LOL, all of which I almost never eat, but it is all such typical college student food.
  • keem88
    Options

Root beer float?

it's an egg creme!
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    America is a whole lot bigger than the United States. And it's a whole lot bigger than North America.

We have Mexican food. Then we have Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex, Flori-Mex, Cuban, Cajun, Southern-Soul food (which derives primarily from Ethiopian cuisine), the foods from the Mid-Atlantic, the New England foods, Carolina barbecue and low country boils, Memphis barbecue with sweet, tangy sauces, Kansas City barbecue with thick, sweet sauces, Texas barbecue with rubs and primarily using beef. We have unique pizzas from NY, Chicago, and California that don't even remotely resemble each other.

And then there's beef. Big, thick, juicy steaks cut on the bone or boneless, cooked on the hottest grills imaginable, and served simply with salt, pepper, maybe a little garlic, a side of green veggies and a baked sweet potato or baked white potato. Believe it or not, that steak comes from Italy, but Americans all over - from Texas to New York - have improved it and made it their own. And we have bison.

If there's one food that is uniquely American, though, it is corn. Roast corn, corn chowder, popcorn, cornbread, masa, corn cakes, corn tortillas, etc. Oh, and avocados. We have avocados. They're from the Caribbean and Central America and have been adopted in cuisines all over the world. In fact, the Americas grow a good bit of the world's produce.

I'm one of those "Americans" who has lived and been all over the world, (was born an expat, and spent a decent amount of my 30s as one). I appreciate what we have available in the United States more than anything. We get greater varieties of everything in the US than anywhere else in the world. Most people really have no idea how spectacular food is here.

It isn't all crappy fast food and boxes of pasta. Mac and cheese is Italian, by the way.

Thank you!!! Honestly I can't imagine why so many non-US types think all of our food is teh crap.

Also want to give a shout-out for utterly delicious local specialties -- lobster rolls, clam chowder, New England boiled dinner and Boston baked beans... Maryland crab cakes...the whole kick-@ss old Southern foodway (which by the way is ALL home made and very based on fresh seasonal produce)....tex-mex....cioppino....the American steakhouse tradition....

There is a huge farm-to-table movement in the US, and we have a long tradition of creative fusion cuisine.
  • debrag12
    Options

Root beer float?

it's an egg creme!

will have to check it out when in NY in September though it doesn't sound nice
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    what about

scottish-deep-fried-mars-bar-10-1000.jpg

Deep+Fried+Ice+Cream.1.jpg

Some sort of fried candy bar and fried ice cream!!
  • debrag12
    Options
    what about

yep a mars bar and no I've never had one and never will or the fried ice cream
  • lenore304
    lenore304 Posts: 17
    Options

Deep fried ravioli?

I like to do that with ricotta, then smother with honey. You don't need a mixing bowl so it's good camping food

It is a ravioli type pocket but it is Fried Beer. LOL Probably something nasty like Bud Light.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Tex Mex is American!

Dallas has one of the original Tex Mex restaurants, El Fenix. I have heard foreign attempts at Tex Mex (other than in Mexico) are pretty sad and/or gross. Heck, that's probably true north of the Mason Dixon line...
  • debrag12
    Options

Deep fried ravioli?

I like to do that with ricotta, then smother with honey. You don't need a mixing bowl so it's good camping food

It is a ravioli type pocket but it is Fried Beer. LOL Probably something nasty like Bud Light.

I love beer but this is just yuck to me sorry
  • lenore304
    Options
    what about

yep a mars bar and no I've never had one and never will or the fried ice cream

You're missing out! Both are amazing! Trust me, I only eat this kind of stuff once a year but it's awesome for that one day! Fried Oreos are amazing, also. LOL Last year, at the fair, I had Fried Tres Leches cake and it was heaven. As if Tres Leches cake wasn't already fantastic enough.
  • lenore304
    Options
    Tex Mex is American!

Dallas has one of the original Tex Mex restaurants, El Fenix. I have heard foreign attempts at Tex Mex (other than in Mexico) are pretty sad and/or gross. Heck, that's probably true north of the Mason Dixon line...

Ah geez El Fenix is no bueno. Come to Austin for really amazing Tex-Mex!
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options