"American" food

Options

Replies

• MyChange4Life
    Options
    I just want to say as an American living in the UK, the hot dogs here are GROSS...and I'm not that overly fond of our American hot dogs (I don't like processed meats much). Most of the "American" style hot dogs here are in a can or a jar full of some brine...and the casings feel like plastic. BLECH! :sick:

That sounds gross. I love the Trader Joes hot dogs.
  • MyChange4Life
    Options
    Here are the some of the home cook meals I grew up on, I'm American.

Meatloaf
    Roast
    BBQ burgers and hotdogs (BBQ as in grilled, not lathered in BBQ sauce)
    Sauerkraut with chop hotdogs (not sausage), I know that isn't completely American but the hotdogs kind of puts an American spin on it
    Fried potatoes and onions
    Potato dumplings (no chicken in it)
    Potato soup which would have varies veggies in it
    Onion soup
    Lima beans with ham bone and onion
    Kidney beans with ham bone and onion
    Ham
    Baked beans

Never realized how much potatoes and beans my family ate until I started to think of this list LOL
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK and when I was younger we used to love it when my Aunt from the US brought 'American candy' over as we had nothing like it over here - all the different flavours of bubble gum for a start! Now we can pretty much get most American candy over here.

Things I think are particularly American? Sweet potato! It's more popular here now but the first time I had that was in the US int he early 90s where it seemed pretty commonplace. It wasn't something you buy easily here for years. I think having watched a few shows about American food I now think of it as the food from the south - African/ Caribbean inspired, and mexican style. And also barbecue style food - sweetcorn, burgers etc even though we do have all that stuff here. We do have hotdogs, but not really as street food unless as people have said, it's after a football match or pub closing time :)

One thng that really seems to divide people is Canadian poutine! I love it but I have friends who retch at the idea of it.

Ok, got say something here. It's not CANADIAN poutine. Poutine is from Québec, a place where Canada day is not even observed.

This is a bit like saying scotch is English.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm in England and we DO have apple pie and hot dogs, but our English Applie Pie is somewhat different from th US version. Its not so sweet and it has spices like nutmeg in it.
    Our hot dogs are gross. English sausages are the BEST made from real pork. Topped with hot mustard, they rock!!
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The Brits have apple crumble with custard, which is wayyy better than apple pie in my opinion. :)

That even sounds more delicious than apple pie. mmmmm
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    I'm in the UK and when I was younger we used to love it when my Aunt from the US brought 'American candy' over as we had nothing like it over here - all the different flavours of bubble gum for a start! Now we can pretty much get most American candy over here.

Things I think are particularly American? Sweet potato! It's more popular here now but the first time I had that was in the US int he early 90s where it seemed pretty commonplace. It wasn't something you buy easily here for years. I think having watched a few shows about American food I now think of it as the food from the south - African/ Caribbean inspired, and mexican style. And also barbecue style food - sweetcorn, burgers etc even though we do have all that stuff here. We do have hotdogs, but not really as street food unless as people have said, it's after a football match or pub closing time :)

One thng that really seems to divide people is Canadian poutine! I love it but I have friends who retch at the idea of it.

Ok, got say something here. It's not CANADIAN poutine. Poutine is from Québec, a place where Canada day is not even observed.

This is a bit like saying scotch is English.

No it isn't, it's like saying scotch is British. Which it is.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm in England and we DO have apple pie and hot dogs, but our English Applie Pie is somewhat different from th US version. Its not so sweet and it has spices like nutmeg in it.
    Our hot dogs are gross. English sausages are the BEST made from real pork. Topped with hot mustard, they rock!!

Perhaps the "U.S. apple pie" you had was store bought?

My Mom made apple pie with granny smith apples (tart), spiced with nutmeg, cinnimon, and a touch of brown sugar; and crust from scratch.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

American apple pie has cinnamon and nutmeg in it, depending on who makes it. There are as many apple pie recipes as there are American families who make them.

I just got back from the grocery store, and I happen to live in an area of the state where there are a lot of Brits. The food in the British section of the grocery store :sick: . Except for the Indian food selections that are imported from the UK, of course.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hershey's candy can't be sold here as chocolate as it has too little cocoa in it. It also tastes and smells like sick to us.
    Having traveled to Europe and tasted REAL chocolate, I have to agree. Nothing like Belgium chocolates, Ritter Sport, and other European chocolates. I would blow a whole day's worth of calories on some good quality chocolate. But not a Hershey bar.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    give me galaxy or lindt chocolate anyday.
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options

My Mom made apple pie with granny smith apples (tart), spiced with nutmeg, cinnimon, and a touch of brown sugar; and crust from scratch.

Prefer Brambly apples/cooking apples, more tart than average granny smith.

But then again, cant beat a decent rhubarb & blackberry crumble, or strawberry an apple pie

HAS to be chunky!!! Simply cannot stand where its like a puree, makes my stomach churn.
  • Frantastic5685
    Options
    I went to college with someone from the Netherlands...she had never had (or even thought of) a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I was like, "OMG IT'S THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!" lol

She tried it, and indeed liked it.
  • debrag12
    Options

Prefer Brambly apples/cooking apples, more tart than average granny smith.

But then again, cant beat a decent rhubarb & blackberry crumble, or strawberry an apple pie

HAS to be chunky!!! Simply cannot stand where its like a puree, makes my stomach churn.

Rhubarb is the only cooked fruit I like and I only like granny smiths apples.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I should explain that Marmite is produced from the yeast residue after making beer. We make it here, in Burton on Trent.
    It is a highly salty, savoury "Umami" flavour and is great on toasted bread. We have Marpite Crisps (chips) even. DO try it - if you hate it you can stir it into chilli or casseroles to get rid of it!
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I went to college with someone from the Netherlands...she had never had (or even thought of) a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I was like, "OMG IT'S THE BEST EVER!!!!!!!!!!" lol

She tried it, and indeed liked it.

See Jelly in the uk is something that is in a trifle, or is served with cream and fruit... or ice cream. Not sandwich material.

Peanut butter an banana on toast though...... yum!
  • debrag12
    Options
    The idea of PB and jam/jelly yuck but banana and cheese lovely!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the grocery store, and I happen to live in an area of the state where there are a lot of Brits. The food in the British section of the grocery store :sick: . Except for the Indian food selections that are imported from the UK, of course.
    What kind of stuff do you even see in a "British" aisle? All I can think of that is wholly British and not an import from a colony, are proper mustard, marmite, Earl Grey tea and Sausage Rolls.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize this thread was a american food bashing thread, are the Brits in any position to criticize, really now!

As an American living in the UK, NO. Food here isn't too hot, and not especially healthy, lol. Produce here is pretty poor, both in terms of selection and quality.

However, the laws regarding food additives and such are much better here.

Yes, they have apple pie and hot dogs here in the UK. And yes, the European chocolate here is miles better than what passes as chocolate in the US.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    What kind of stuff do you even see in a "British" aisle? All I can think of that is wholly British and not an import from a colony, are proper mustard, marmite, Earl Grey tea and Sausage Rolls.

I find that interesting too--what's in that "British" aisle? Haggis in a tin? Angel Delight? Spotted **** in a tin?
  • debrag12
    Options
    don't start having a go at Angel delight.

Here's what's in an American aisle in Britain http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294697392&Ne=4294793660