What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options
Need to gripe about this for a moment but going to be as fair as I can be in my observations.

Truth (as I see it): Lulu lemon is a company that is not just selling a product but trying to portray a specific lifestyle of health and fitness. (I have even heard that to be employed by them you must meet a certain fitness/health criteria, although that is just hearsay, can't say for sure) and this is okay; this is not a bad thing.

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

So what's bothering me?

A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".
I, as well as many other overwieght people (like all the people on MFP) want to purchase work out wear not because of a fashion statement but because we genuinely want to get fit! I feel like my true effort to get fit and get healthy and lose weight fits better within the lulu lemon "mission/statement" than those who just want to look fashionable. (Having said that, i have nothing against those who want to purchase this workout wear just for fun and for comfort).

So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

I know i can shop anywhere and that I do not need to buy lulu lemon clothing... but to be honest, in general, finding appropriate workout wear in plus sizes is very difficult. At least where I live.

I know I am singling out lulu lemon since MOST producers of work out wear are of the same opinion (No Spandex for fatties lol even though not all work out wear is tight fitting or made of spandex) but I am really put off by a company that is trying to "project an image and lifestyle" of fitness, yet their products are prejudice against those who really want to get fit, who want to better their lives.

Sure slim people work out too, I'm not suggesting otherwise, I just don't understand why it is "unacceptable" for an overweight person to want to purchsae workout wear.

I will also admit that part of my feelings toward lulu lemon are not just because of their products but because of some of their staff (which is not neccissarily something that can be pegged on the company)... every time i have walked into a lulu lemon store here (usualy with a friend who is shopping there), I get strange looks from their staff memebers. They look at you with that look that says "ummm these clothes are not for you; you won't fit. I'm not sure why you are here" and to be fair, this is something I have felt in more than just lulu lemon stores... many retail shop that don't sell Plus sizes have employess that will look at you a little strange when you are in there.

I guess I just finder it harder to swallow when it is coming from a retailer that is specifically targeting work out gear.

Am I alone here or are my feelings justified?

Replies

• IDCY843
    IDCY843 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We have a chain store here called Big W and they have trendy work out gear right up to a size 26!!! awesome:happy:
  • cldwyer150
    cldwyer150 Posts: 20
    Options
    They don't cater to vertically challenged people either! Can't get a pair of work out pants there unless they are shortened....not worth the trouble or the crazy inflated prices.

I would shop somewhere else and let the elite fashion snobs shop there
  • vallemic
    vallemic Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You should send them a letter via facebook, email, twitter, etc. I really like the clothes at RW & Co. but they do not sell petite sizes (I'm only 5'0'') so I many of their items are too long. When I asked a clerk if they had a petite section she said they did not but that I should voice my opinion to the company because MANY people would like that option. She continued to say that because of customer opinions, the company launched a plus size section. So, I wrote to the company and they told me, due to popular demand, they are considering it :) Maybe LuluLemon needs to hear from the customers :)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think they have it in for the non rich!

I have been there a few times and have never found anything that works for me and surely nothing that I would spend that kind of money on...
    beyond my workout bag, which I had a gift card for

one size fits all on that thing!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I find that in general, most sports clothing lines do not cater to overweight women. It's only been in the past year or two that I've even noticed plus sized Nike and Adidas clothing for women in stores. Before, XL was the largest they went up to, which would have been probably a size 14. Now that the big dogs are on board, maybe Lululemon will follow suit.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".

Although I understand the reasoning behind your post, I have to whole-heartedly disagree with this particular statement...

I think that I am of the thousands out there that DO purchase Lululemons specifically for working out. As I have stated in prior posts, it is much easier to do burpees and HIIT workouts when you're not wearing a loose and baggy t-shirt and pants/shorts you are constantly tugging at and repositioning. Plus, the materials the use generally wick away sweat, thank you very much.

While, yes, you are paying a premium for these high quality workout pieces, you definitely get what you pay for. My original pair of Lululemons from a million years ago are still hanging in there.

And their sports bras are probably the best out there for small-medium sized chests.

Just my two cents... AND:
    You should send them a letter via facebook, email, twitter, etc. I really like the clothes at RW & Co. but they do not sell petite sizes (I'm only 5'0'') so I many of their items are too long. When I asked a clerk if they had a petite section she said they did not but that I should voice my opinion to the company because MANY people would like that option. She continued to say that because of customer opinions, the company launched a plus size section. So, I wrote to the company and they told me, due to popular demand, they are considering it :) Maybe LuluLemon needs to hear from the customers :)

^^^^ THIS... tell them! How can companies know that plus-sized women want IN, unless they are told. Heck, start a campaign!
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I do believe that their sizing is different. I was a size 24 and fit into a size 12 pair of yoga pants there (without looking like a sausage). I swore I would never pay that much money for a pair of "yoga pants... until I bought them. Their clothing is so comfortable, flattering, and very well made!

With that said, if you are on a budget while trying to lose weight, I'd wait until you hit your goal to start purchasing lululemon. It gets pricey and it isn't something you are going to want to replace every few months!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I think there is a marketing factor at work, too. If larger women show up wearing lulu with that emblem right there for all to see, it's a bit less exclusive and prestigious for the skinny minnies who are dressing mainly to impress. (Not accusing anyone here of that, btw.)
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    Lululemon is a goal of mine... but as of now, I wear a lot of Old Navy work out stuff. I have a fair amount of their bottoms and I like them (holds the sweat off my body for the most part) and the shirts are good too. The dry fit tshirt (it's a guy's shirt) is GREAT! I have like 4 of them! I also have some of the women's dry fit tanks and those are good too!

I've been seeing that most work out clothes only go up to a XL but I'm not hating because I know I'll get there... and I know if I want to find stuff I can wear for now, I know where to go.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I kind of think it's any companies prerogative to cater to whatever market they choose. Maybe you can take the idea of high quality fashionable plus sized activewear and make it your million dollar idea!
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from a business mag this morning - http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-26/gaps-athleta-looks-a-lot-like-lululemon

I recommend if you don't own LULU stock to look at Athleta by Gap - their sizes are awesome, they have plus and for me being 6'1", they have a selection of tall stuff too!

Something for everyone!! A great motto for a company to have!
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just want to add-that they DO carry up to a woman's size 16/18 pant. Often you need to ask the staff to get them from the back, but they have them.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i was curious about that. i would have bought pants but i would have gotten annoyed once i slimmed down and they didn't fit anymore!

i MIGHT treat myself to a pair once i get thinner :D they are rather pricey though.
  • LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do believe that their sizing is different. I was a size 24 and fit into a size 12 pair of yoga pants there (without looking like a sausage). I swore I would never pay that much money for a pair of "yoga pants... until I bought them. Their clothing is so comfortable, flattering, and very well made!

Totally this.

My waist was a 36'' when I bought my first pair of running pants from LULU in a size TEN, and they look HOT AS HELL on me..not weird sauasage/camel toe issues. My butt just looks hella fierce in them.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    my workout gear consists of:

Sweat pants
    Old shirts
    Free shirts (for participating in certain events, etc.)

because i think it's silly to pay extra for clothes that i'm going to sweat my *kitten* of in and only wear for an hour or two each day
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think it's part of a free market. They are a private company that should be allowed to sell to a group they want to sell to.

If they should sell to larger people then they should also lower their prices and sell to the poor people like myself that can't afford the gear. And then they'll need to start selling golf clothes, tennis clothes, skiing clothes, and mountain biking clothes.

They have a market: Fitness/fashion people willing to drop extra cash on quality items that will last a long time in the most popular size bracket.

They might think that they will lose money going up on sizes. They are not discriminating they are selling their product to a group who they know will buy it.

Abercrombie and Fitch is essentially the same thing. They sell to teens and young adults that are really small waist-ed and are willing to drop cash on highly priced items. I got suckered into it for years then realized I look retarded wearing that stuff all the time.

You can send a suggestion to the company? I'm sure they are aware. If enough people bring the idea up I bet they could open up more options. Or you could take your business else where and shop somewhere else and essentially save money not spending 70 dollars on a pair of shorts. (Nothing wrong with this.)

And you could also think of it as a goal. You are working out and getting healthier, why not make it a goal to fit in their clothes as a big reward?
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Just want to add-that they DO carry up to a woman's size 16/18 pant. Often you need to ask the staff to get them from the back, but they have them.

sadly their website only goes to a 12.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    As I have stated in prior posts, it is much easier to do burpees and HIIT workouts when you're not wearing a loose and baggy t-shirt and pants/shorts you are constantly tugging at and repositioning. Plus, the materials the use generally wick away sweat, thank you very much.

*This kind of reiterates her original message does it not? I believe the OP is stating that there is a lack of quality workout gear for the bigger population to wear during their exercizes. It's hard enough for a big girl to push through a HIIT work out and do burpees let alone worry about tugging and repositioning their clothes! I've not been to a lululemon store- can't say anything about the product itself. But I can say that it is not easy finding clothes that won't get me flogged for showing too much (because frankly, no one wants to see what i've got right now)

I can kill a shyt ton of burpees- but it is a pain in the rear to worry about what my clothes are doing in the process!

edited- numerous times, because apparently I can't figure out how the "quote" button works" WOOOO- I figured it out!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    So what if they don't carry plus sizes? Can't you buy clothes at stores that do carry plus sizes? I don't understand this anger towards Lululemon for not selling items that fit you. Men don't get angry that Victoria's Secret only sells women's clothes. Just my thought.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I kind of think it's any companies prerogative to cater to whatever market they choose. Maybe you can take the idea of high quality fashionable plus sized activewear and make it your million dollar idea!

Agreed. Everything isn't for everyone, that's how life goes. There are plenty of other athletic gear companies.