What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    One other thing- I don't really want to dump tons of money in to a wardrobe that I plan on being too small for in the near future. I'd prefer moderately priced workout gear while I'm losing weight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I kind of think it's any companies prerogative to cater to whatever market they choose. Maybe you can take the idea of high quality fashionable plus sized activewear and make it your million dollar idea!

This. There is no rule that a manufacturer has to make clothes for everyone. I'm a big guy and many designers don't have neck sizes for me in their shirts even when I'm in shape. One of the reasons I came to mfp was that I refused to shop Big and Tall and wasn't able to find cool jeans in my size anymore. The world doesn't cater to all of our individual needs.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Why by expensive workout clothing when it won't fit after a few months of working out?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The thing about companies is they want things that sell. I've worked in clothing stores, ones with workout clothes...and plus sizes often go virtually untouched. I think it might have something to do with the fact that while it's something some people need, it's not something they're going to make a mint off of. If they keep at it eventually they won't need the plus size ones and they'll still need the others...and they know that will sell.

Also, I don't know anyone who wears them and do not work out. I wear them for comfort when I'm not working out yes, but I don't know anyone who wears stuff like that for fashion.

Meanwhile, what rotts me is I ride motorcycles and can't find any decent gear because girls are only suppose to sit on the back looking cute *growl*
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would shop somewhere else and let the elite fashion snobs shop there
    [/quote]

Wow! That is a terrible thing to say! I shop in Athleta- which is similar to Lulu- and I am not a snob. I am a regular person who TREATS myself to a new and stylish workout outfit as a reward for weight loss instead of food! After reading your rant, i really felt your 'green' was showing. I would like to say that "I understand how you feel" or "I'm sorry you can't find your size", but guess what?

it's a store designed for athletes and most athletes aren't XXL. Clearly you want to shop there, so work hard and make it your reward, too.

I'm SURE I'll get hate mail for this reply, but I'm just saying what you are all thinking. LULU IS YOUR MOTIVATION!!!
    Stop blaming them and take responsibility for yourself. i can't wait to see how good you look in your hot new fashionably snobby workout gear.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ALSO I JUST WANT TO SAY ONE THING FOR EVERYONE WHO THINKS "FAT" PEOPLE CAN'T WEAR SPANDEX.

BULLSH!T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WORK OUT THOSE SPANDEX YOU GUYS. IF IT FEELS GOOD DO IT. Wear your SKINNY JEANS in a size 16+, wear your cute little leggings with your boots and adorable tops!!!!

TALL GIRLS (AND BOYS HAAAAY) WEAR YOUR BIG 'OL HEELS AND WERK.IT.OUT.

It's ALL about HOW YOU WEAR IT : WITH CONFIDENCE.

If the "skinny" folk are the only ones offended with your SPANDEX WEARING-that's really TOO BAD FOR THEM. Drives me freakin nuts when people limit their fashion desires because of their physical shape.

I think EVERYONE looks GLORIOUS NAKED!

EVERYONE HAS THE RIGHT TO WEAR SPANDEX OOOOK?!?!?!

I am a relatively fit, (okay fine, mostly scrawny guy) and I would never subject the world to me wearing spandex. Some people have no business wearing it. I am one of those people, and that's okay.

Now if *you* want to wear it, I'm not saying you can't...

...at least for now. My proposal for a global licensing process in order to wear spandex in public has not been accepted and implemented...yet...

...but I'm still working on that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Need to gripe about this for a moment but going to be as fair as I can be in my observations.

Truth (as I see it): Lulu lemon is a company that is not just selling a product but trying to portray a specific lifestyle of health and fitness. (I have even heard that to be employed by them you must meet a certain fitness/health criteria, although that is just hearsay, can't say for sure) and this is okay; this is not a bad thing.

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

So what's bothering me?

A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".
    I, as well as many other overwieght people (like all the people on MFP) want to purchase work out wear not because of a fashion statement but because we genuinely want to get fit! I feel like my true effort to get fit and get healthy and lose weight fits better within the lulu lemon "mission/statement" than those who just want to look fashionable. (Having said that, i have nothing against those who want to purchase this workout wear just for fun and for comfort).

So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

I know i can shop anywhere and that I do not need to buy lulu lemon clothing... but to be honest, in general, finding appropriate workout wear in plus sizes is very difficult. At least where I live.

I know I am singling out lulu lemon since MOST producers of work out wear are of the same opinion (No Spandex for fatties lol even though not all work out wear is tight fitting or made of spandex) but I am really put off by a company that is trying to "project an image and lifestyle" of fitness, yet their products are prejudice against those who really want to get fit, who want to better their lives.

Sure slim people work out too, I'm not suggesting otherwise, I just don't understand why it is "unacceptable" for an overweight person to want to purchsae workout wear.

I will also admit that part of my feelings toward lulu lemon are not just because of their products but because of some of their staff (which is not neccissarily something that can be pegged on the company)... every time i have walked into a lulu lemon store here (usualy with a friend who is shopping there), I get strange looks from their staff memebers. They look at you with that look that says "ummm these clothes are not for you; you won't fit. I'm not sure why you are here" and to be fair, this is something I have felt in more than just lulu lemon stores... many retail shop that don't sell Plus sizes have employess that will look at you a little strange when you are in there.

I guess I just finder it harder to swallow when it is coming from a retailer that is specifically targeting work out gear.

Am I alone here or are my feelings justified?

i'm not with you.

I'm fat and I wear spandex and compression gear. i wear stuff to train in for PERFORMANCE not because I may or may not be comfortable with how my body looks.

Just like I wouldn't swim in baggy sweats and cotton tee shirt, I also dont weight lift, run or do anything else active in that type mess.
    if you're working out with enough intensity then you'll need compression for recovery and spandexy type things for moisture wicking and to avoid moisture wicking. plus let's just be honest :if you're fat then you're going to look fat in anything you wear so you might as well wear the right thing for the right situation.

so my advice is to take off your big girl cotton panties and put on your big girl breathable panties and wear the right stuff.

and if you want to wear lululemon type things then either find alternatives (there are many many alternative) OR work on losing weight so you can wear lululemon. i dont see why manufacturers are expected to cater to anyone they dont want to. if you're not finding worlout stuff then you arent looking well enough. old navy, champion, asics, under armor, everlast, new balance, danskin, etc all make stuff that ft me when I was as high as a size 20. you can find those things at target, old navy, mashalls, tj maxx, online stores, etc.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Who cares?? you're just working out so it doesn't matter...

And what about the stores that cater to just plus size women?
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Lululemon caters to people for whom fitness is a lifestyle. Those people don't tend to be large, due to, well, fitness being part of their life.

Also, a massive part of the appeal of Luku's overpriced clothing is how good people look in their clothing. I truly don't mean this to sound rude or cruel, but you said yourself skin tight clothing isn't ideal on big people. I'd imagine they would rather people think "Ohhh, she's got a Lukulemon *kitten*" than "Eeeeek, Lulu why would you let me see that?"
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    Oh I could go into a whole rant about women's plus size clothing, and the clothing industry in general. Plus size men have it easier, and I don't care what anyone says. I have no idea why the clothing industry is so prejudice against my money. Isn't my dollar as good as a size 12 dollar?? If I get to the point that I can no longer shop at Lane Bryant I will make sure to keep purchasing from her sister companies and give them my hard earned money for clothing. I will probably go back on my word, but I would make it a point to only bUy from stores that dont discriminate from size. Sadly that means no Dolce and Gabana or Prada. Oh well guess they dont want my money. GRRRRRRRRRR!

I'm sorry, but this makes ZERO sense. Lane Bryant (to which I shop regulary) doesn't carry anything less than a 14 in the store and sometimes 12 online... so how does that make them any better than stores that don't carry plus sizes? Their quality on clothes has gone down hill drastically in the last few years but the price has gone up. They know they have a nitch market and they can charge whatever they want for their (poor) quality clothes. Don't get me wrong, I shop there because I 'like' the clothes... but it doesn't make what they charge for the quality you're getting any better.
  • earthtoemilyy
    Options
    i actually went to high school with the CEO's daughter. maybe i will ask her. not even kidding, haha.
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    I am 6'1 and wear size 12 shoes, imagine the difficulty i face finding a wardrobe!!

Most place dont carry tall clothes in store and only go to 11's in shoes.

be thankful you can at least lose weight to fit into those clothes im stuck being an outcast :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'm fat AND I have big feet! lol I LOVE shoes too and have had such good luck with Nordstrom Rack! Seriously, love them! I could tell you stories... lol
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Ok, I will just put in my 2 ...

There are a lot of brands that don't stock plus sizes and Lululemon is one of them ...

There was a time I couldn't wear Lululemon and sometimes I buy the men t-shirts because I don't fancy wearing spandex on both top and bottom ....

BUT ...
    Boy does it feel good when you finally fit into their size 12 pant. I now only wear them! Lululemon comes in tall which is awesome for me -- they also come with free hemming.

I once heard Diane von Furstenburg say that she would never do a plus line because her figure enhancing clothes wouldn't look good on a larger lady, and that really peeved me.
  • willia123
    willia123 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The 12s are roomy.

I assure you, I do buy it for yoga purposes only. I have never worn my lulu clothes around town. I wouldn't risk wearing them out lol! I have 4 pairs of pants that I rotate. They are the best for staying in place and keeping things tucked in while I'm practicing. I spent more on them but I have friends who have 30 pairs of random pants. That adds up!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Soooo What! I know stores that START at size 12 and go to size 50. Please, give it a rest already, many places of business have a NICHE! Every place can't supply everything to everyone.
  • gogospice
    gogospice Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am 6'1 and wear size 12 shoes, imagine the difficulty i face finding a wardrobe!!

Most place dont carry tall clothes in store and only go to 11's in shoes.

be thankful you can at least lose weight to fit into those clothes im stuck being an outcast :sad: :sad: :sad:

If you are looking for good clothes for tall people, www.alloy.com I get their pants in a 37" inseam! Perfect
    PS.. sorry this is off topic!
  • sirmio
    sirmio Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't think people who typically wear plus sizes are a demographic that exercises a lot. The people who do decide to make a change and drop the weight will eventually be a smaller size, so it just wouldn't make a lot of sense making those sizes. I'm sure neither they nor the retail stores would want the product overhead if it isn't likely to move.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I kind of feel the same way about Victoria's Secret, but they have WAY more size selection on their website. I think they just like to keep us fatties out of their physical stores so we don't scare away the rich high school girls whose moms gave them the credit card to go buy lacy thongs and "Pink" sweatpants that cost $40.
    ANYWAY...I have never shopped at Lulu Lemon because I live in hick-land and there isn't a store around here. But I've heard things there are very expensive so I probably wouldn't be able to go there anyway.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

Because a size 12 is a very big size in women's perhaps? I know many stores that don't go into plus sizes as well. It's also a whole different thing to cut and make plus sized clothing. After a certain size, the clothing measurements don't go up proportionately so it has to be designed differently for plus sizes.

Another thing is, which is going to sound offensive I'll admit, is most plus size people don't work out (realistically, if they worked out regularly they wouldn't be plus size*). If the brand is trying to portray a fit lifestyle image then designing workout gear for plus sized women is more along the lines of designing lounge wear is looks bad for the brand.

*excluding anyone with certain medical conditions. Just throwing out the mandatory disclaimer.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel the same way about Victoria's Secret, but they have WAY more size selection on their website. I think they just like to keep us fatties out of their physical stores so we don't scare away the rich high school girls whose moms gave them the credit card to go buy lacy thongs and "Pink" sweatpants that cost $40.
    ANYWAY...I have never shopped at Lulu Lemon because I live in hick-land and there isn't a store around here. But I've heard things there are very expensive so I probably wouldn't be able to go there anyway.

I buy lacy thongs with my own money and I'm no longer in high school. Way to generalize. Expensive is relative also. I think victoria secret is on the cheaper end of lingerie stores. Most people that I know shop there for every day bras and panties.