What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Another thing is, which is going to sound offensive I'll admit, is most plus size people don't work out (realistically, if they worked out regularly they wouldn't be plus size*). If the brand is trying to portray a fit lifestyle image then designing workout gear for plus sized women is more along the lines of designing lounge wear is looks bad for the brand.

^^^^ Realistically.......This.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have a gripe about plus sized clothing in stores like Target and Walmart, which are all over where I live. They seem to think that once you get above a size 14, all you need are sweats and crazy patterns. I was working in an executive office and went to Kohl's for some nice suits and whatnot, but wanted to save a little and get some pieces at the other stores. T-shirts and sweat pants, check; WILD print blouses, check; elastic waistbands, check; too-long tops or gathered waists, check; Um... just because I'm not a size 8, doesn't mean I want to dress like Dorothy from the Golden Girls.

WHY is the plus size section not the same clothes, but bigger? Why does the style have to change from cute and trendy to mostly blah? Frustrates me terribly.

^^^^ THIS, So much this.
    That's honestly the reason I won't let myself get to 400, 500, 600 pounds. Those PATTERNS and wild designs. Do you know what I mean? Like on a talk show and they bring on a woman whose lost hundreds of pounds? And she holds up her old shirt? Ugh.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel the same way about Victoria's Secret, but they have WAY more size selection on their website. I think they just like to keep us fatties out of their physical stores so we don't scare away the rich high school girls whose moms gave them the credit card to go buy lacy thongs and "Pink" sweatpants that cost $40.
    ANYWAY...I have never shopped at Lulu Lemon because I live in hick-land and there isn't a store around here. But I've heard things there are very expensive so I probably wouldn't be able to go there anyway.

I buy lacy thongs with my own money and I'm no longer in high school. Way to generalize. Expensive is relative also. I think victoria secret is on the cheaper end of lingerie stores. Most people that I know shop there for every day bras and panties.

Seriously! I love their stuff. Sexy, but affordable and it lasts. I love shopping online with them because they always have such AWESOME promo codes.
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Another thing is, which is going to sound offensive I'll admit, is most plus size people don't work out (realistically, if they worked out regularly they wouldn't be plus size*). If the brand is trying to portray a fit lifestyle image then designing workout gear for plus sized women is more along the lines of designing lounge wear is looks bad for the brand.

Realistically, what if someone who is plus-sized WANTS to get started? We all start somewhere, right?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Realistically, what if someone who is plus-sized WANTS to get started? We all start somewhere, right?

You can get started at old navy :smile: lululemon isn't the only store making work out clothes.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way ... by not offering sizes that fit more demographics, they're hurting their own sales.

So screw 'em. Buy something from somewhere else - there are lots of options and the more successful you are at your goals, the more often you may need to start replacing those clothes anyway.

Give someone else your business - they obviously want it more anyway!

thats not true. its because they are marketing to a specific demographic and are seen as a higher standard that they can sell for 3 or 4 times the stuff you get at Target. other higher end fashion lines do the same thing.

and fwiw as a guy i can definitely tell when women are wearing higher quality workout gear and it definitely makes them look better. furthermore i can tell when guys are wearing it too and i am looking forward to hitting my goal so i can start buying stome of the good stuff and not Target gear.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Lulu Lemon, but I do know how hard it is to find workout clothes in larger sizes. I actually went into a store looking for workout clothes and the sales associate said that fat people don't care what they look like, so they don't carry the larger sizes. I don't know what she was thinking. Anyway, I have found my sports bra at ebw.com. (It really works.) My workout clothes I found at the local gym. They have workout clothes for plus size woman. I also have found cute plus size workout clothes at outlet stores. Which is great because they are 50-75% off the original price. Very affordable.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    I actually went into a store looking for workout clothes and the sales associate said that fat people don't care what they look like, so they don't carry the larger sizes.

WHAT AN A-HOLE!
  • Turkey89
    Turkey89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't shop at high priced athletic stores but I read this post anyways, and I was just wondering why the stores try so much to make workout clothes fashionable high end, high priced clothing...i personally wouldn't want to buy something expensive that are not for fancy events but working out...what about the comfortable cotton top and jogging pants? I don't think fashion should matter this much when someone is working out. There are really good points about the industry trying to change standards, and unfortunately booting out the people who do need the clothes to workout. Maybe it's just me, but I like working out in my cotton t-shirt, sweater and my jogging pants, and really comfortable shoes! I don't really pay attention to what people are wearing when they are breaking a sweat, but i don't know apparently others do..
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I don't shop at high priced athletic stores but I read this post anyways, and I was just wondering why the stores try so much to make workout clothes fashionable high end, high priced clothing...i personally wouldn't want to buy something expensive that are not for fancy events but working out...what about the comfortable cotton top and jogging pants? I don't think fashion should matter this much when someone is working out. There are really good points about the industry trying to change standards, and unfortunately booting out the people who do need the clothes to workout. Maybe it's just me, but I like working out in my cotton t-shirt, sweater and my jogging pants, and really comfortable shoes! I don't really pay attention to what people are wearing when they are breaking a sweat, but i don't know apparently others do..

cotton just doesnt cut it for me. the better gym gear is designed to fit better and feel better along with its ability to wick away moisture. makes a big difference to me.

and in general people try to look good in other areas of their lives...work, social...i dont see a difference in trying to look good while at the gym.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

It's one of those things where if you don't understand the point of paying for quality, you just won't get it. Something high end/high quality has a different look, feel and wear. It'll last you longer and often times will just feel more comfortable. That's not to say a lower priced item is automatically not good, its just not as good.

For myself I don't just buy clothing to be clothed. I buy something that feels good and looks good on me. If that means I'd have to spend more money on it, then that's something I'll definitely be willing to do.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My workout gear is comprised of compression shorts and soft cotton concert/event t-shirts. I can afford to buy Lululemon, but, if it's not something I can wear anywhere other than the gym, I'm not paying their ridiculous prices. It's hard for me to look cute when I'm all red and sweaty, so I don't think certain clothes are going to make much of a difference. :indifferent:
  • catweazle12
    catweazle12 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love my lulu running gear. It's very comfortable and looks good too.

I don't understand the fuss about their sizing though. So what if they only go up to a size 12. Thin people don't complain about plus size stores starting at size 14 or whatever size they start at.

If you want to buy lulu and it's too small for you, then use it as motivation to lose weight and then you too will look and feel fabulous in their clothes.

Just my opinion :smile:
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    if you have them near you, hit up tj maxx or marshalls OR the clearance racks at outlet stores! Whn I was in florida I got a TON of cute nike/addidas/under armor stuff for SOO Cheap, and marshalls/tjmaxx have biger sizes
  • mkambalimath
    Options
    Need to gripe about this for a moment but going to be as fair as I can be in my observations.

Truth (as I see it): Lulu lemon is a company that is not just selling a product but trying to portray a specific lifestyle of health and fitness. (I have even heard that to be employed by them you must meet a certain fitness/health criteria, although that is just hearsay, can't say for sure) and this is okay; this is not a bad thing.

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

So what's bothering me?

A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".
    I, as well as many other overwieght people (like all the people on MFP) want to purchase work out wear not because of a fashion statement but because we genuinely want to get fit! I feel like my true effort to get fit and get healthy and lose weight fits better within the lulu lemon "mission/statement" than those who just want to look fashionable. (Having said that, i have nothing against those who want to purchase this workout wear just for fun and for comfort).

So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

I know i can shop anywhere and that I do not need to buy lulu lemon clothing... but to be honest, in general, finding appropriate workout wear in plus sizes is very difficult. At least where I live.

I know I am singling out lulu lemon since MOST producers of work out wear are of the same opinion (No Spandex for fatties lol even though not all work out wear is tight fitting or made of spandex) but I am really put off by a company that is trying to "project an image and lifestyle" of fitness, yet their products are prejudice against those who really want to get fit, who want to better their lives.

Sure slim people work out too, I'm not suggesting otherwise, I just don't understand why it is "unacceptable" for an overweight person to want to purchsae workout wear.

I will also admit that part of my feelings toward lulu lemon are not just because of their products but because of some of their staff (which is not neccissarily something that can be pegged on the company)... every time i have walked into a lulu lemon store here (usualy with a friend who is shopping there), I get strange looks from their staff memebers. They look at you with that look that says "ummm these clothes are not for you; you won't fit. I'm not sure why you are here" and to be fair, this is something I have felt in more than just lulu lemon stores... many retail shop that don't sell Plus sizes have employess that will look at you a little strange when you are in there.

I guess I just finder it harder to swallow when it is coming from a retailer that is specifically targeting work out gear.

Am I alone here or are my feelings justified?

I get your post! I dont know why some people have to be *kitten* on here. Right now mine are Danskin pants from WalMart and old shirts that are too big for me to wear in " real" public, lol. They're starting to slip off my shoulders though so I'm going to have to get something not falling off me soon. I think a lot of it IS image. Its only been the last few yrs that theres anything remotely good in plus sizes in ANY stores, so I think work out wear is just following that trend.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Until I clicked on this post out of curiosity, I had no clue what a lululemon was.... Thanks for the info. :)
  • CassandraM22
    Options
    Holy crap. I had never heard of Lulu Lemon until this post. I went to the website...seirously?? $82 for pants? Do they come with a dude to help me put them on? Are they magical weight loss pants? OK....I bought mine at walmart for $8. I can write the word lemon on them if I want...
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    So what if they don't carry plus sizes? Can't you buy clothes at stores that do carry plus sizes? I don't understand this anger towards Lululemon for not selling items that fit you. Men don't get angry that Victoria's Secret only sells women's clothes. Just my thought.
    Well, because Lululemon is "popular". Alot of people buy lululemon and many other brand names for a reason, to fit in. Imagine not being able to buy clothes at the same places your friends and family do, because your arms/waist/thighs are too big/small whatever. That probably doesn't do much for self esteem.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options

I see skinny/fit people lounging in lulu ALL the time.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

for the most part, you get what you pay for in workout clothes.

those expensive clothes generally have better moisture wicking (which comes in handy if you workout outside and there are temp changes), there's heat venting in areas when you sweat more, there are extra pockets so you can keep stuff like goo or your phone and keys without having to find another thing to put them in. many also offer sun protection. many also offer added support along certain areas of your body (for instance there are running tops that help your posture, and tights with built in bands that help support your hip and knee joints.

the moisture wicking alone makes up for the price for me because if you're like me and workout daily (sometimes twice daily) you really can't be washing things after every wash. my expensive wicking stuff pass a smell test after 2-3 wears. cotton doesnt do that. also i've found very often i have to wash my cotton stuff more than once to get smells out. the good stuff is 1 wash

plus there are many studies that show that wearing the right gear helps with muscle recovery. i know i feel a huge difference in my DOMS if i work out in any old things vs when i work out with in my expensive stuff. trust me those extra $30 a pay make a huge difference in how i feel the next day.
    Well, because Lululemon is "popular". Alot of people buy lululemon and many other brand names for a reason, to fit in. Imagine not being able to buy clothes at the same places your friends and family do, because your arms/waist/thighs are too big/small whatever. That probably doesn't do much for self esteem.
    if someone's self esteem is that easily affected then their issues started much earlier from their families. self esteem is built at home, not a clothing store