What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• ashleyparriottaz
    ashleyparriottaz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's completely insane... here we are, trying to workout while looking fabulous in the gym (the gym for godsakes!) and we can't buy cute workout clothes because LuLuLemon doesn't carry what I would call "normal" sizes. Hello! How do I fit those clothes if I can't work out in them NOW to get down to that other size I want so badly to wear...
  • MissFash1
    MissFash1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to be mean, but I think you might need to examine your commitment to fitness, since you are claiming that you wish you could wear this clothing for working out, but I couldn't help notice that you joined in February and have only lost one pound in the past 5 months. As a frequent Lulu-wearer, I've lost 19lbs in the last two months alone. It's not fair to insinuate that those of us size 12 and under have it easier and don't work out or work hard to moderate our weight. Its also unfair to complain Lululemon does not create work out clothing in your size, when you so very clearly have no intention of working out any time soon... Just saying.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to be mean, but I think you might need to examine your commitment to fitness, since you are claiming that you wish you could wear this clothing for working out, but I couldn't help notice that you joined in February and have only lost one pound in the past 5 months. As a frequent Lulu-wearer, I've lost 19lbs in the last two months alone. It's not fair to insinuate that those of us size 12 and under have it easier and don't work out or work hard to moderate our weight. Its also unfair to complain Lululemon does not create work out clothing in your size, when you so very clearly have no intention of working out any time soon... Just saying.

THIS
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Different stores/brands cater to different people. Since most clothing is mass produced, it is usually easier to have minor differences in the cuts of the fabrics based on a body type, then produce a line based on what body type that particular line will flatter. This is especially true in designer ready-to-wear.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Need to gripe about this for a moment but going to be as fair as I can be in my observations.

Truth (as I see it): Lulu lemon is a company that is not just selling a product but trying to portray a specific lifestyle of health and fitness. (I have even heard that to be employed by them you must meet a certain fitness/health criteria, although that is just hearsay, can't say for sure) and this is okay; this is not a bad thing.

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

So what's bothering me?

A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".
    I, as well as many other overwieght people (like all the people on MFP) want to purchase work out wear not because of a fashion statement but because we genuinely want to get fit! I feel like my true effort to get fit and get healthy and lose weight fits better within the lulu lemon "mission/statement" than those who just want to look fashionable. (Having said that, i have nothing against those who want to purchase this workout wear just for fun and for comfort).

So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

I know i can shop anywhere and that I do not need to buy lulu lemon clothing... but to be honest, in general, finding appropriate workout wear in plus sizes is very difficult. At least where I live.

I know I am singling out lulu lemon since MOST producers of work out wear are of the same opinion (No Spandex for fatties lol even though not all work out wear is tight fitting or made of spandex) but I am really put off by a company that is trying to "project an image and lifestyle" of fitness, yet their products are prejudice against those who really want to get fit, who want to better their lives.

Sure slim people work out too, I'm not suggesting otherwise, I just don't understand why it is "unacceptable" for an overweight person to want to purchsae workout wear.

I will also admit that part of my feelings toward lulu lemon are not just because of their products but because of some of their staff (which is not neccissarily something that can be pegged on the company)... every time i have walked into a lulu lemon store here (usualy with a friend who is shopping there), I get strange looks from their staff memebers. They look at you with that look that says "ummm these clothes are not for you; you won't fit. I'm not sure why you are here" and to be fair, this is something I have felt in more than just lulu lemon stores... many retail shop that don't sell Plus sizes have employess that will look at you a little strange when you are in there.

I guess I just finder it harder to swallow when it is coming from a retailer that is specifically targeting work out gear.

Am I alone here or are my feelings justified?

Why should they have to cater to you?

They don't make men's wear yet you don't see guys up in arms about it.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    (they do make men's wear)

I actually wrote them an email last week. Telling them about my first trip into the Lululemon store (I left fighting back tears).

I also encouraged them to increase their size range.

They sent me a really lovely response.

I can paste the letter I sent them here if you are interested.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options

I actually wrote them an email last week. Telling them about my first trip into the Lululemon store (I left fighting back tears).

Not really interested.

I still have no idea why everyone thinks every company needs to cater to them specifically.
    Not every brand needs to be available to every person. They don't have it in your size? Shop somewhere else.

The new restaurant that opened on the corner isn't vegetarian friendly and you're a veg? Don't eat there.
    What's the big deal?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Not really interested.

I still have no idea why everyone thinks every company needs to cater to them specifically.
    Not every brand needs to be available to every person. They don't have it in your size? Shop somewhere else.

The new restaurant that opened on the corner isn't vegetarian friendly and you're a veg? Don't eat there.
    What's the big deal?

I wasn't asking if you were interested. I was asking the O.P.
  • IronmanPanda
    Options

Not really interested.

What's the big deal?

I wasn't asking if you were interested. I was asking the O.P.

I doubt anyone is interested in what you sent, but they'd probably like to hear the response.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't understand why you characterize their decision on what sizes to carry as "we don't want you fatties wearing our stuff." I doubt it's something so malicious. It seems far more likely that there's just a much smaller market for those larger sizes and they just stock what sells. Just a guess, but I'm betting that women who wear plus-sized clothes are less inclined to buy body-hugging Spandex exercise clothes than those who are thin. The store isn't judging you or trying to exclude you because you're not worthy; they're just trying to keep those profit margins wide.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It's just a marketing thing - their niche is really small women which you could say is elitist in some way but hard to know their motivations. I don't wear a size 6 in any of my clothing-I'm a size 4 or smaller but I'm a size 6 there. I'm sure you don't have to be fat to be sized out of their clothes. I would love to see the companies response to your note to them-very curious since there is obviously a huge market for the larger sizes.

Here is what I really think-they market based on scarcity-they deliberately don't produce a lot of their stuff and it sells out really fast so keeping to the smaller sizes is one more way to make people think "Oh I better buy that right up I gotta have it". I only own 1 item of theirs which I will wear for the first time today so I don't even know what I think of their products but I looked for a while before buying this sports bra and I noticed how quick their stuff sells out....

xo
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have pretty consistently lived in karrimor fitness clothing, for a long long time. I tend to wear men's tops (I like the length, and wear them now even though I can get women's wear in my own size these days), and karrimor capris, most of the time. They're a flattering cut , the line down the side is very slimming, and I am comfy in them. They have a drawstring at the waist, which makes them great when you're losing.

Best of all, they cost s fraction of the prices shops like lulu lemon charge. Winner all round.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    OP, I don't understand why you characterize their decision on what sizes to carry as "we don't want you fatties wearing our stuff." I doubt it's something so malicious. It seems far more likely that there's just a much smaller market for those larger sizes and they just stock what sells. Just a guess, but I'm betting that women who wear plus-sized clothes are less inclined to buy body-hugging Spandex exercise clothes than those who are thin. The store isn't judging you or trying to exclude you because you're not worthy; they're just trying to keep those profit margins wide.

Actually, I think this is very much a targeted and deliberate strategy for certain high street brands and fashion houses. That a particular product *only* for a certain category of woman is part of branding strategy - it's a marketing thing. (e.g. 'skinny', 'curvy', 'young', 'sophisticated', 'plus sized' etc etc). These decisions are rarely accidental. They're selling a look, afterall.
  • SILYKITY75
    Options
    I agree, I buy all my work out clothes..and almost all my other clothes at resale stores..I am cheap and green:tongue:
    Except for underthings..My iron maden cost $80 bucks a pop..Enell..I Love that bra!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Another thing is, which is going to sound offensive I'll admit, is most plus size people don't work out (realistically, if they worked out regularly they wouldn't be plus size*). If the brand is trying to portray a fit lifestyle image then designing workout gear for plus sized women is more along the lines of designing lounge wear is looks bad for the brand.

^^^^ Realistically.......This.
    I see skinny/fit people lounging in lulu ALL the time.

But a skinny/fit person lounging in workout clothes doesn't look the same as an overweight person lounging in workout clothes. Its more about brand image than anything. The only reason everyone who can't fit into lulu gear even wants to wear it is from seeing all the fit people in it. The clothes are comfortable, but they really don't look that unique or special. Nike and adidas make cute workout gear too.
  • dogberry3
    dogberry3 Posts: 21
    Options

Victoria's Secret doesn't make large bras, but their other company, Lane Bryant does. Are you gonna complain about that too?

Actually I would complain about them as well...Lane Bryant only carry large chest size their cup sizes don't go over DDD. I have to buy my bra's from Europe if I want something cute in my size... I have large cup size more than large around size. I can't buy a bra anywhere in the states if I want a color other than black white or Tan and here I would have to pay $60 for each. Thankfully European stores online understand that some women have large breasts AND still want to have cute things.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm going there today and was excited for some new workout gear but now I guess I'll just be happy to find something that fits lol And yes I'm with you in the realm of getting strange looks from store employees. Victoria Secret was my own personal hell when I was in there. La Senza same thing. They look at you like "this store isn't for you fattie." It's got to be one of the worst feelings in the world and it's something people who haven't been overweight will never understand.

Also I don't get why people where workout gear to be trendy. This whole thing of women wearing yoga pants for non yoga is strange.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Victoria's Secret doesn't make large bras, but their other company, Lane Bryant does. Are you gonna complain about that too?

Actually I would complain about them as well...Lane Bryant only carry large chest size their cup sizes don't go over DDD. I have to buy my bra's from Europe if I want something cute in my size... I have large cup size more than large around size. I can't buy a bra anywhere in the states if I want a color other than black white or Tan and here I would have to pay $60 for each. Thankfully European stores online understand that some women have large breasts AND still want to have cute things.

At least you have stores with large sizes. It hard to find a 32c bra as well.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    So why is it that their female products only go up to a size 12? Why is that I am unable to buy clothing that is appropriate and specifically suited for working out? Why is being over a size 12 unacceptable to them? (NOT TO MENTION that their male products go up to a size XXL... but that starts a whole other argument about "Society Driven & Accepted gender body images")

Because a size 12 is a very big size in women's perhaps? I know many stores that don't go into plus sizes as well. It's also a whole different thing to cut and make plus sized clothing. After a certain size, the clothing measurements don't go up proportionately so it has to be designed differently for plus sizes.

Another thing is, which is going to sound offensive I'll admit, is most plus size people don't work out (realistically, if they worked out regularly they wouldn't be plus size*). If the brand is trying to portray a fit lifestyle image then designing workout gear for plus sized women is more along the lines of designing lounge wear is looks bad for the brand.

*excluding anyone with certain medical conditions. Just throwing out the mandatory disclaimer.

I notice you often use the 'I don't mean to be offensive' disclaimer, just before making an outrageously generalised statement (or series of statements) about fat people...

Interesting strategy, but perhaps a little transparent, don't you think? (Swap that kitteh for a shark!)
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Ooh now there's a crazy notion girls with the goods wanting to show them off in nice packaging. I'm a 36F. Good luck finding it anywhere. I can get my band size at La Senza but they only go up to a DD I think. Silly people who think DD is the holy grail of boob sizes THEY COME BIGGER YA KNOW! lol I have yet to buy a bra that fits me. I usually make do with a 40DDD or something and then that doesn't hold me up and well that's the goal of the companies that are probably run by girls with little titties: my girls don't look their best and I don't feel my most confident. It's all a conspiracy! Okay I'm semi kidding but seriously it's frustrating! The store that fitted me to tell me I was a 36F their bras were $130. I don't have that kind of money.