Gluten Free Girls (and Guys!)

Options

Replies

• auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I do fruit smoothies all the time with my magic bullet. I just put in frozen berries (I prefer blueberries, my hubby likes mixed) and I add a whole or half banana and some water (so it will blend) I like to add a little cool whip also for a creamy taste, but I've done it without it also. I eat it with a spoon, and find it's a great substitute for ice cream, and I know the stuff isn't processed on the same equipment with wheat. I've added low fat milk instead of water, but since I'm trying to lose weight, I just use the water now.
  • hansonr55
    hansonr55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The best GF biscuits that I've had are made with Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix. It comes in a big bag, tastes great, and has a nice smooth texture. I've made cheesy garlic biscuits, chocolate chip biscuits, and plain biscuits.

Their site also has lots of recipes for other things that can be made with the mix.

If your grocery store doesn't have it Amazon sells it.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The best GF biscuits that I've had are made with Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix. It comes in a big bag, tastes great, and has a nice smooth texture. I've made cheesy garlic biscuits, chocolate chip biscuits, and plain biscuits.

Their site also has lots of recipes for other things that can be made with the mix.

If your grocery store doesn't have it Amazon sells it.

Cool! Thanks! I have used her stuff before and it makes killer choco chip cookies!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    That's what I do too! I also make sure that I am well fed before I go so that I just pick when I get there. Could you pass along your recipe for the marshmallow bar? That sounds yummy!

Sorry I didn't get back to you soon! The marshmallow bars are so easy and very tasty!

1/2 cup butterscotch-flavored baking chips (I use Kroger brand, Toll House isn't GF)
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup butter

Melt these together either in microwave or on the stove. Stir in:
    1/2 cup salted peanuts
    1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows

Spread into a 8 in. square pan and put in the fridge to harden. You can also melt chocolate and drizzle on top but I skip that step!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    http://www.recipezaar.com/Cranberry-Bliss-Bars-Starbucks-Copycat-203229

I made this this weekend and they are the best things in the world. I subbed Pamela's baking and pancake mix equally for the flour. I also only used 1 cup of powdered sugar in the icing and it turned out fine. I didn't do the white chocolate on top because they were soooo good without. I've given these to my boss and some co-workers plus my husband. Everyone loves them and can't tell they are GF!
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have had such a successful week food-wise! I made some awesome peanut butter cookies with the hershey kisses the other day and some cocounut chocolate balls ( they taste like mounds).

I was also super pumped because I bought gluten free stuffing cubes for Christmas. I was so cranky on Thanksgiving and planned so I could eat something tomorrow. My aunt and I spent all morning cooking and she made my stuffing with her original recipe. OMG soooooooooooooo good - I almost like it better than the real thing! I am so excited to eat it tomorrow!!!!
  • mshay05
    mshay05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!! I hope you all have had a great holiday! Happy New Year and enjoy all the yummy gluten free foods!! :smile: I know I'll be making the chebe cheese bread tonight! Everyone love it!
  • sassyl
    sassyl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Old Coeliac but new to MFP. Nice to hear that you are all here!

My story? I got diagnosed 8 years ago after my pregnancy and at the age of 32. Before that I was always a UK6/8 (that's US2/4) and I stuffed myself with cream cakes, chocolate, beer, Burger King. I really had the worst diet ever and couldn't cook at all but no matter what I ate I didn't gain. In the last 8 years I've stuck rigidly to my GF diet and for 3 years went through lactose intolerance as well. But I did learn to cook.

My biggest downfall now is that because I'm denying myself sooooo much I feel like I have a right to stuff my face! OMG, they sell GF donuts? I'll buy a six pack (and then at the end of the day they're gone). OMG GF bread - I'll buy loads because next time I'm shopping they'll be out of stock again. And I cook, and bake. There's just me and my son who can eat gluten, even more reason to eat all the GF stuff 'before it goes off'. This happens about once a month maybe.

Generally I have a very good diet, and I exercise regularly.

But my UK6/8 is now UK 14/16 and I'm 5'3. :0(

I know I was far too skinny before and I love my curves, but my weight gain is getting out of hand and I'm actually fed up of buying new (bigger) clothes and putting my favourite clothes aside until I lose weight.

Is anyone else having this problem of extraordinary weight gain?

I'm trying the diet Jessie Wallace did at the moment because it seems to fit my eating habits anyway, no bread, pasta, dairy, lots of veg, rice crackers, you know the kind.

Need a few pointers on what has worked for you too.

:) Sarah
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Old Coeliac but new to MFP. Nice to hear that you are all here!

My story? I got diagnosed 8 years ago after my pregnancy and at the age of 32. Before that I was always a UK6/8 (that's US2/4) and I stuffed myself with cream cakes, chocolate, beer, Burger King. I really had the worst diet ever and couldn't cook at all but no matter what I ate I didn't gain. In the last 8 years I've stuck rigidly to my GF diet and for 3 years went through lactose intolerance as well. But I did learn to cook.

My biggest downfall now is that because I'm denying myself sooooo much I feel like I have a right to stuff my face! OMG, they sell GF donuts? I'll buy a six pack (and then at the end of the day they're gone). OMG GF bread - I'll buy loads because next time I'm shopping they'll be out of stock again. And I cook, and bake. There's just me and my son who can eat gluten, even more reason to eat all the GF stuff 'before it goes off'. This happens about once a month maybe.

Generally I have a very good diet, and I exercise regularly.

But my UK6/8 is now UK 14/16 and I'm 5'3. :0(

I know I was far too skinny before and I love my curves, but my weight gain is getting out of hand and I'm actually fed up of buying new (bigger) clothes and putting my favourite clothes aside until I lose weight.

I'm trying the diet Jessie Wallace did at the moment because it seems to fit my eating habits anyway, no bread, pasta, dairy, lots of veg, rice crackers, you know the kind.

Need a few pointers on what has worked for you too.

Welcome Sarah! I did that same thing! When I first cut out the gluten, I lost 18 pounds. But then I found all of the GF food too and decided I needed to gorge as well! so I gained it back and then some!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options

Sarah, I don't have any pointers, but I also have experienced extraordinary weight gain. Since I first discovered my symptoms (about 17 pounds in 3 and a half months :noway: ). I'm hoping SO badly that once I have my endoscopy on the 25th I will at least know what is going on with my body and be able to move forward. I also have some newly diagnosed thyroid issues that make me really, really hungry ALL the itme, so I'm not sure if it's the possible Celiac's, or the tyroid issue- or both- making me so hungry. :ohwell:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about after you changed to a GF diet, there are two good reasons. 1) Because your system is healing and absorbing your food better, you are getting more out of what you eat. 2) Since much of the GF stuff you buy is based on corn or rice flours, you are eating a diet higher on the glycemic index, which tends to increase your appetite and is converted more efficiently to fat.
  • sassyl
    Options

Sarah, I don't have any pointers, but I also have experienced extraordinary weight gain. Since I first discovered my symptoms (about 17 pounds in 3 and a half months :noway: ). I'm hoping SO badly that once I have my endoscopy on the 25th I will at least know what is going on with my body and be able to move forward. I also have some newly diagnosed thyroid issues that make me really, really hungry ALL the itme, so I'm not sure if it's the possible Celiac's, or the tyroid issue- or both- making me so hungry. :ohwell:

Thanks, and good luck witht he endoscopy. You know Thyroid issues and Ceoliac (it's got an 'o' in the UK!) is linked somehow. There's some info on www.coeliacuk.org.uk on health complications. It's a great site for recipes and anything else GF too.
  • sassyl
    Options
    2) Since much of the GF stuff you buy is based on corn or rice flours, you are eating a diet higher on the glycemic index, which tends to increase your appetite and is converted more efficiently to fat.

Ooh now that is very interesting. Weight gain started as soon as I started getting prescription foods (from the NHS), before that I just went without bread, pasta and the like. Let's see what happens when I cut all that out again!

Thanks Tom!

Sarah
  • sassyl
    Options
    I put the entire bag of Dole frozen fruit in a food processor and let it go. It ended up being a bit dry so I had to add a couple caps of skim milk to get it to come together, but once it did it was great.

Healthy, low-cal, basically turns out to be much like a sherbet...

You are my food hero! Tried this last night... wonderful!
    :0) Sarah
  • sassyl
    Options
    Ceoliac (it's got an 'o' in the UK!) is linked somehow. There's some info on www.coeliacuk.org.uk on health complications. It's a great site for recipes and anything else GF too.

ceoliac, coeliac... I wish I had a disease I could spell!
  • runnerdad
    Options
    2) Since much of the GF stuff you buy is based on corn or rice flours, you are eating a diet higher on the glycemic index, which tends to increase your appetite and is converted more efficiently to fat.

Ooh now that is very interesting. Weight gain started as soon as I started getting prescription foods (from the NHS), before that I just went without bread, pasta and the like. Let's see what happens when I cut all that out again!

Thanks Tom!

Sarah
    Not to mention that some of it is very high fat
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I have a question for those of you that had an endoscopy... how long to you have to stay at the hospital after it's done? Just long enough for the drugs to wear off? I'm really nervous about it! :ohwell:
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I have a question for those of you that had an endoscopy... how long to you have to stay at the hospital after it's done? Just long enough for the drugs to wear off? I'm really nervous about it! :ohwell:
    Yes, just long enough to wake up. I felt fine, but they won't let you drive home.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks, Tom. I have a ride home, but I'm really nervous about the whole procedure. I'm one of those "I want to know exactly step-by-step what to expect" type of people, so I'm full of questions. My doctor said that the whole process of the endoscopy only take a few minutes. So, is it literally just a little while (like 15 minutes or so) from when you're awake, to drugged and 'out of it', to awake again? :huh:
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Thanks, Tom. I have a ride home, but I'm really nervous about the whole procedure. I'm one of those "I want to know exactly step-by-step what to expect" type of people, so I'm full of questions. My doctor said that the whole process of the endoscopy only take a few minutes. So, is it literally just a little while (like 15 minutes or so) from when you're awake, to drugged and 'out of it', to awake again? :huh:
    From the time they give you the 'knock out', it's only a few seconds to 'out of it'. Next thing I remember, a nurse is saying 'time to get up' nd it was just like waking up from a nap, maybe even better.