What does Lulu Lemon have against fat people?

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Second truth (as I see it): Spandex is not a BIG girl/guy's friend. I get it. I can be honest with myself. Spandex and tight fitted clothing is not generally the most attractive articles of clothing on a person of larger proportions.

I have to say it. Spandex is no one's friend. I cannot recall a single time I've seen someone in spandex and thought wow ____ looks great in that.

I'm not a brand person I buy what's affordable in the best quality I can get for my budget.

Welllll clearly you haven't seen my butt :bigsmile:

You can't post a comment like that without a picture.....just saying. :drinker:
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    IMO, Lulu Lemon sucks - their leader is a complete jerk. Did you know he named his company Lulu Lemon because he knew Asians would have a hard time pronouncing it, and would have to say "Ruru Remon", and that he enjoys making fun of Asians?

The guy is a word I am not allowed to type on this forum.

I don't care what size(s) his clothes go to, he is a jerk whom I will not be giving a single dollar of my business to:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stewart-j-lawrence/when-yogis-kill-the-grisl_b_1077457.html

See paragraph 5

http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/how-the-name-lululemon-athletica-was-created/
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh at the pro lululemon and the anti lululemon debate. People kill me. This may be a little off topic but it could eventually circle around.

They may have a killer wicking shirt, but so do the ATHLETIC brands that developed the system, at a much cheaper cost. People shop at that store to be hip and trendy. Plain and simple. The stereotypical lululemon shopper in my area are the soccer moms who want to look good when they go to the gym once a week and usually part of a family that lives beyond their means. These stores cater to these type of people for a reason. Folks will blow some dough in there, just to look good while sweating.

If you genuinely do have the money to shop there day in and day out, why not save your money for some real athletic clothing, time and activity tested by real athletes, that will serve the same purpose and be just as comfortable? THEN, you might be able to put that extra money into savings thus making the whole fitness thing an all around great idea.

PLUS, real athletic clothing comes in affordable plus sizes as well!
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I've never heard about lululemon until now, but from OP's post, it kind of sounds like lululemon is some sort of hipster trendy club for people who like to pay a lot of money for hipster trendy ... workout things.
  • redhousecat
    Options
    if you find their lack of sizing discriminatory, this ought to just flip your lid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stewart-j-lawrence/when-yogis-kill-the-grisl_b_1077457.html

particularly paragraph 5.

"The seeds of the company's problems were planted early, with its initial founding in Vancouver in 1998. Former CEO Chip Wilson, an avid snowboarder, said he came up with "Lululemon" because he delighted in the idea that trying to pronounce the name -- with its three syllables beginning with "l'" -- would pose a special challenge for the Japanese, whom he enjoyed making fun of. From that less-than-enlightened starting point Wilson went on to create a huge controversy in 2005 when he announced that the firm would rely on child labor and "sweat shops" in China, after three competitors in his native Vancouver went belly up due to rising labor costs."
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    id imagine all the Target, Wal Mart, Old Navy etc...workout gear others are talking about is made in those sweat shops too.
  • redhousecat
    Options
    id imagine all the Target, Wal Mart, Old Navy etc...workout gear others are talking about is made in those sweat shops too.

probably, as with Nike and just about anything else. I'm a little more concerned about his title reasoning. In a free market, it's one thing to use sweat shops, which is perceived to be ethically wrong, but top it off by making fun of people is a little, off.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

probably, as with Nike and just about anything else. I'm a little more concerned about his title reasoning. In a free market, it's one thing to use sweat shops, which is perceived to be ethically wrong, but top it off by making fun of people is a little, off.

it was already posted earlier in the thread. he didnt choose the name to make fun of Asian people.
  • redhousecat
    Options

it was already posted earlier in the thread. he didnt choose the name to make fun of Asian people.

so the journalist didn't do his research? Please clarify and I will correct it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

like i said it was discussed earlier in this thread.
  • redhousecat
    Options

gee, thanks. I gathered that one though.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Come on, the responses you're being pointed to are only a few posts above yours on the same page; you really can't just look?

Edit: it's actually the post immediately before yours, as well as another a few before that.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".

In high school I actually had a person say "Why are you wearing those pants for gym?!?! They're an expensive brand name!" to some other girl...Umm, hello, they're yoga pants...made to workout in. But it is true that most of the people who buy lululemon don't actually workout in them.

I personally don't even shop there. Waste of money in my opinion. I've gotten some really good workout gear from elsewhere for waaaaaay cheaper anyway.

I also deal with the vertically challenged problem...yoga pants are hard to shorten sometimes too...
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

A majority of people (admittedly not all) that shop at lulu lemon and stores like it are not buying this trendy work out gear to go work out; they are buying it to look "fashionable" and "hip".

In high school I actually had a person say "Why are you wearing those pants for gym?!?! They're an expensive brand name!" to some other girl...Umm, hello, they're yoga pants...made to workout in. But it is true that most of the people who buy lululemon don't actually workout in them.

I personally don't even shop there. Waste of money in my opinion. I've gotten some really good workout gear from elsewhere for waaaaaay cheaper anyway.

I also deal with the vertically challenged problem...yoga pants are hard to shorten sometimes too...

That's weird, because most of the people that I know that wear it, and other workout clothes, actually workout. Maybe you just happen to know many people who don't exercise at all so it wouldn't matter what they wear.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what's funny is that a lot of these anti lulu lemon posts seem to be from people who begrudge others who have enough expendable cash to "waste" on "expensive" workout stuff :laugh:

just because you cant afford it doesnt mean it's a financial burden to others. stop being haters and either go back to school to get better paying jobs or ask for a raise
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    It is possible that Lulu Lemon doesn't produce larger clothing simply because they don't want to meet larger people's needs.

However, it is also possible that like almost every company that they supply what is demanded. If there is not a large demand for larger sizes it doesn't make sense for them to manufacture those sizes. Unfortunately, people who do want them cannot get them.

That's a possibility to consider before I jump on the "Lulu Lemon has something against fat people" bandwagon.
  • redhousecat
    Options

Come on, the responses you're being pointed to are only a few posts above yours on the same page; you really can't just look?

Edit: it's actually the post immediately before yours, as well as another a few before that.

again, thanks. Gathered, interpreted, read, looked, sought. Not sure I can make my acknowledgement any more plain.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have to laugh at the pro lululemon and the anti lululemon debate. People kill me. This may be a little off topic but it could eventually circle around.

They may have a killer wicking shirt, but so do the ATHLETIC brands that developed the system, at a much cheaper cost. People shop at that store to be hip and trendy. Plain and simple. The stereotypical lululemon shopper in my area are the soccer moms who want to look good when they go to the gym once a week and usually part of a family that lives beyond their means. These stores cater to these type of people for a reason. Folks will blow some dough in there, just to look good while sweating.

If you genuinely do have the money to shop there day in and day out, why not save your money for some real athletic clothing, time and activity tested by real athletes, that will serve the same purpose and be just as comfortable? THEN, you might be able to put that extra money into savings thus making the whole fitness thing an all around great idea.

PLUS, real athletic clothing comes in affordable plus sizes as well!
    Oh my god. You are so right. As I sit here in my lululemon pants, I realize how wrong I was. I can't help but look down at my body and be totally disgusted. I definately look like I only exercise once a week. I've been outed.

**ok, I actually only workout 3 times a week. But compared to most people on MFP that burn 600 cals on the elliptical daily 6 days a week ,then I am that hipster trendy soccer mom who just wants to look good but doesn't actually exercise. I mean, really! Only 3 times a week and I have the audacity to want to walk around in lululemon? I am an exercise poser. Guilty as charged.**

Here is my non athletic self in lululemon's...truthfully they are the lucy's brand, but almost as expensive. My nonathletic, only 3 day a week exercising self has no right to be wearing such items.

http://youtu.be/z18kFLGZksY
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I live in the birthplace of Lulu, but at least 80% of the people in my gym have some article of clothing with Lulu. And they work out as hard as I do in my cheap gym strip (if not more). I try to keep my exercise expenses to a bare minimum, so I don't have any of their clothes. But I like their shorts. The pockets with the zippers--so simple, but brilliant. Why don't more shorts have those?
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about Mountain Equipment Co Op. I think you're justified.