Vowing not to excercise

Options

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    you have convinced yourself to be lazy. congratulations.

OMG ignore stupid people, sounds like Bobby is back
  • melitsace
    melitsace Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to do what you feel works for you. Making small attainable goals for yourself is how we makes changes that will stick. However, I started my jouney at 349 lbs and I started exercise and the same time as diet. Now down 127lbs, not only do I eat much healthier but my body is STRONG and HEALTHY. In the past when I weighed what I do now I was 3 sizes bigger because I wasn't as toned and didn't have the muscle that I have now. I understand making small goals and even doing one thing at a time. Just try not to lean on that as an excuse to not push your body....because your body can handle more than your mind thinks it can : )
  • JennWeighZen
    JennWeighZen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're not crazy. Identifying your "weaknesses" per se and doing something about them does not make you crazy. One goal at a time... or at least not too many ;)

While I won't deny that exercise has its benefits, I think getting your diet under control and making more of a lifestyle change of moving more throughout the day are excellent places to start! I've often started (and restarted) my journey to "healthy" as one big lifestyle turnaround that usually just led to a crash and burn a few weeks later.... once I accepted the fact that it's always a process, there will be good and bad days, and that it's not an "all-or-nothing" journey, it became a little easier to handle.

The all-or-nothing approach is not always the most productive... one step at a time, you can do this!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I've a read a few articles that say not exercising and just dieting can be beneficial for some. The idea is that when you exercies you get really hungry and end up eating away the deficit. And it's true that implementing more than one major lifestyle change might be too much to process.

Don't listen to the haters, there are lots of people on the forums with too much time on their hands.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose a few lbs before you start exercising then whatever you want to do...but if you're just making an excuse then good luck with that. Only you know your true intentions with this new "plan" but I don't think I would have ever kept off my weight for over 20 years if I didn't work out. I wouldn't look 10 yrs younger than I am if I didn't work out. I wouldn't have stress relief and confidence from accomplishing things I never thought I could do if I didn't work out. I wouldn't be able to run circles around kids half my age if I didn't work out. And my body wouldn't be NEAR as toned as it is, it would be all saggy and extra skin because of my age and weight loss if I didn't work out...
  • KateM_76
    KateM_76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You know what has worked for you in the past and what hasn't. Trying a different approach is a great idea. If starting exercise and healthy eating is overwhelming at once, then start with one. That is a great start. As you mentioned, you aren't just sitting around the whole day doing nothing! For me, I like to start both at the same time. BUt that is more because I am impatient and like to see results sooner. This impatience is probably why i've failed in the past. I do know, no matter home much I dislike doing it, that planned exercise or increased activity does make me feel alot better in general. More energy, better mood, etc. So, when you feel you can, try and incorporate abit more (non-daily routine) activity. Good luck!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Why not strength train? It helps maintain muscle mass, which helps you KEEP off what you lose. It also helps maintain bone mass, helps fight certain diseases, and even improves mood! I never had any success until I added strength training. Now I am in better shape at 46 than I was at 26! I NEVER run (hate it), but I do "cardio exercises" (treadmill walking, bike, etc) to add cardiovascular health to the mix and you really only need around 20 minutes 3x a week for that.

>>>>>http://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/growingstronger/why/index.html

http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/add-strength-training-to-your-workout.aspx

I think you missed the point. She wants to focus on her eating... strength training (doing it right anyway) requires more nutrition than running- and again, if you're doing it right, you'll be really hungry after.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Didn't have time to read all posts. I wanted to point out that when you start an exercise program, your muscles are going to adjust by retaining water as they repair, and they will swell a bit. This makes your scale go wrong direction or stagnate. For me the process lasts 2-4 weeks, and then I see a huge drop in scale as everything settles into the routine. Meantime you are going to have to eat, otherwise you will go hungry and lose strength and motivation to complete your exercise goals. Think of it as "pushing the fat out". Muscles will grow faster than fat loss at first. So the ill affects you describe sounds like this process. I would never "not exercise" as muscle burns way more than fat. Putting your body into a small muscle %, high body fat% or "skinny fat" is only asking for major trouble.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I vowed in May to not do ANY cardio. It was scary at first...but I am looking BETTER without it. Eating is under control without it. Don't get me wrong, I stil exercise(I exclusively strength train ONLY 3 days a week) but working out 6 days week, running myself into the ground...I didn't want to do that anymore.Plus my physique has actually improved.

So...nothing wrong with it.

I think focusing on the food portion is Way more important.

You should still exercise though. Add it in when you are ready but FOCUS on strength training.

Signed,

a CARDIO HATER
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to the haters, there are lots of people on the forums with too much time on their hands.

to disagree with an approach or here, to disagree with avoiding exercise, is not hating.

if everyone simply agreed with everyone what would be the point. The OP was looking for confirmation of her choice to not exercise and for the most part, received it. Avoiding exercise is not a healthy approach. Why? because I read it on the internet. Just like all the people who read on the internet that its ok to not exercise.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I did the same time the last time I started MFP. I only focused on eating within my calories for the first month. Once I got the hang of that and adjusted to that I focused on eating cleaner, which I already was partly from reducing my calories. That only took about another two weeks then I started with a walking exercise routine. I did well with it. I lost 20 lbs in about two and half months that way. I have gained almost all of it back since due to falling back into old habits from lack of discipline and moving halfway across the country.

I just started back into MFP again today and am going to be doing the same general type of program that I did last time...Get my used to reduced calories first, then focus on cleaner foods, then add in my regular exercise. Do what works for you and good luck!! You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Suziq38
    Suziq38 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I realized that 80% of my weight loss was what food I put in my mouth.
    So yes, you can lose weight by not eating too much food, or the wrong kinds of foods.

For me, 20% of weight loss is exercise.

I do about 45 minutes of cardio a day, 5 days a week.
    I do about 30 minutes of weights, 3-4 days a week.
    I swim 2 days a week for 45 minutes.
    I do yoga about once a week for an hour.

I have lost 45 pounds in the last year.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you, but for me they go hand in hand.

Cannot tell you how many times I have tried to lose weight just by dieting and failed, this time around I got the two finally going for me, I started slowly by walking, then added the bike and zumba, and weight lifting, and I feel awesome!

Yes, losing weight is mostly from what you eat, but being healthy for sure includes exercising. Plus I feel so much better afterwards, and you wont look skinny fat.

To cut the sugar cravings, just do it cold turkey, cut down carbs too, hold on for a week or two and you'll see you don't crave that stuff anymore.

Best of luck
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Makes sense to me. Some people, like me, get too overwhelmed with trying to drastically change and plan out diet and excersize. I dont know how many times I have spend and hour or more coming up with a plan and then never following it because it was just too much. If a scheduled workout is not realistially going to be maintainable, for whatever reason, there is no point in planning it because then you will just feel like a failure when it doesnt happen. I have heard over and over that this should be a permanent, lifestyle change. Moving more throughout the day rather than sitting on my butt will help me not only be more active in general, it will also result in getting more things done that I have been putting off. For me personally, that would be a more impactful lifestyle change than just saying I will excersize daily for an hour or whatever.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a goal a week. This week, I'm just not going to binge. This week, I'm going to log all of my calories. This week, I'm going to eat enough protein. This week, I'm going to cut down on my sugar intake. This week, I'm going to do something physical every day. This week, I'm going to walk every day. And so on.

This is what I've been doing. I didn't even jump back on MFP until I was like four weeks into it. I'm very prone to an all or nothing mentality, and this has helped me break it. Good luck.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a goal a week. This week, I'm just not going to binge. This week, I'm going to log all of my calories. This week, I'm going to eat enough protein. This week, I'm going to cut down on my sugar intake. This week, I'm going to do something physical every day. This week, I'm going to walk every day. And so on.

This is what I've been doing. I didn't even jump back on MFP until I was like four weeks into it. I'm very prone to an all or nothing mentality, and this has helped me break it. Good luck.
    this kind of approach really helped me, and it seems like I am managing to meet more than one goal at a time now that they ahve almost become second nature.
    Sugar I still struggle with but I can't imagine life without exercise, 3 bottles of water and protein anymore, totally different to last year when I only exercised in the lead up to a bikini holiday, only drank water when it was hot and otherwise existed on coffee and juices, and hated meat (who knew there is protein in beans and milk, not me back then!)
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's a good idea to make changes one at a time, you're far more likely to stick at it that way. If/when you're ready to include exercise in the future, please note - re hunger/sugar cravings after exercise - the cause of this is not eating a good post workout meal. It's got nothing to do with a lack of willpower. Your body needs protein and a natural sugar after exercise, and it's best consumed within about 45 minutes of your workout. This is literally to feed your muscles. If you don't eat right during this time it can easily lead to excessive and even quite extreme hunger and cravings later in the day. Some people are far more affected by this than others, so if someone else says they never eat a post workout meal and never have this problem, that's them. If you do have this problem, then you do need to pay attention to what you eat after a workout. My post workout meal includes protein isolate powder, yoghurt and frozen fruit, put in a blender and eaten as a smoothie or ice cream substitute. Any lean protein plus any healthy carb would be a good post workout meal though, whatever you fancy so long as it's healthy and contains a lean protein and healthy carb. Log it as part of your calories for the day.
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    you have convinced yourself to be lazy. congratulations.

OMG ignore stupid people, sounds like Bobby is back

Actually not so stupid. Losing weight is a mentality. If she doesnt want to work for it, and just wants it to happen easily, then yes, she is lazy. She might as well go and get lipo. What is earned through hard work is always more appreciated. Sound like to me she is about to starve herself. You do that enough, then yeah...you will lose weight easily.

Oh, and P.S.- I quit smoking two weeks ago, started working out at about the same time, and have gotten rid of all unhealthy things in my kitchen. I go without a microwave, and thus I am learning to cook. I am learning about my nutrition. I made the choice to go to school full time. I know a thing or two about change.

To me, that This week I am going to......seems just too frivolous to me. too much room for failure. But, that is just my opinion. I guess I am in the minority. But good luck. None of this I mean menacingly.
  • todietfor
    todietfor Posts: 48
    Options
    Do what works for you. Who are we to judge? Good luck!

Yes, this. I had a lot of fits and starts and setbacks in the beginning because I tried to do too much at once, like you're saying, by overhauling and being strict on diet and exercise at once. Focus on eating first if you think that is what you can and need to control first and move on from there.

Ignore the negative comments. Some people are ridiculous.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I did basically the same thing, though not with that intent. I wasn't exercising at all, and my diet sucked. I started out getting used to a new meal plan, measuring / logging food, etc, and didn't start doing serious workouts for about 2 months after that.