Any Homeschooling Parents?

Options
Are there any out there?

Replies

• JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I will send them to public school when the time comes, but we have a dedicated Learning Room and do preschool year around.

Here is what we are doing and have done - http://twostepsbehindsixlittlehands.blogspot.com/
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    I will check it out. Thx :). This will be our first year Homeschooling. I'm excited.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent but I was homeschooled from when I was 6 until I was 16, so if you have any questions you'd want to ask about it then my inbox is open (:
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    Thank you. I may end up asking many ;)
    I'm not a parent but I was homeschooled from when I was 6 until I was 16, so if you have any questions you'd want to ask about it then my inbox is open (:
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I may end up asking many ;)

Go for it! (:
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    Bump :)
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Me! We're homeschoolers. My oldest started K last year, which was a year early, so this year we will be reviewing a lot of K and hitting 1st grade for math/science.
  • IamSheaMc
    IamSheaMc Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    I will check it out. Thx :). This will be our first year Homeschooling. I'm excited.

Do you need training for that or is there a standardized plan that you follow?
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    No, No training. I bought the curriculum and am now creating the lesson plans. There's several different curriculums you can get. Some are all laid out for you. Others you plan out yourself.
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    What curriculum are you using, if any? We chose Apologia for Science. I will be Homeschooling all 4 of my children. From Preschool - 3rd grade :)
    Me! We're homeschoolers. My oldest started K last year, which was a year early, so this year we will be reviewing a lot of K and hitting 1st grade for math/science.
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    Oh ok, I don't think I would do it myself, but it can be a great thing with a one on one situation. I guess there could be good and bad, but nothing try nothing done.

If done well I don't see why it wouldn't work. Good luck!

When do you think you'll send them/him/her to public school?
  • AwesomePossum82
    Options
    Our Oldest was in A Private School for Kindergarten and Public for 1st and 2nd grade. This is our first year Homeschooling. I have 4 children. The public school system just isn't for us. I'm hoping to go through High School. I can't say for sure at the moment though. Things change. We will take it year by year :). All the kids are very excited to start next week.
    Oh ok, I don't think I would do it myself, but it can be a great thing with a one on one situation. I guess there could be good and bad, but nothing try nothing done.

If done well I don't see why it wouldn't work. Good luck!

When do you think you'll send them/him/her to public school?
  • IamSheaMc
    Options
    Ok...Home schooled kids usually do well from what I hear...:smile:
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I homeschooled my 3rd grader last year up until February when she went back to public school, and got 10th place out of the entire 3rd grade level for the number of math objectives finished. Some kids in her class that had been there year round only finished 8.

I am jealous of my friends that can homeschool this year.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    What curriculum are you using, if any? We chose Apologia for Science. I will be Homeschooling all 4 of my children. From Preschool - 3rd grade :)

That's exciting! We're not using a program for K, we outline the year and what we want to cover and just buy accordingly. The fun thing about pre-K/K is that it's mostly play with a little bit of learning. :)
  • Lisaherbalmomma
    Options
    Hi, We have homeschooled all five of our children ages 18 to 7. Our 18 yr old graduated from our homeschool high school this year! We are so excited! The adventure has its challenges but we are so happy with this decision that we made over 14 yrs ago! We don't buy boxed curriculum, we create learning experiences and use as few textbooks as possible. We have tons of other books, though! Best wishes to you on your journey. It is a worthwhile one. Lisa
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have a theory that homeschooling can somewhat limit a childs ability to interact with others...?

But also think it's genius, not having to be taught useless crap that schools teach.
  • skinnybefore
    Options
    Hi there! We've been homeschooling our kids since preschool (started about 11 years ago). What a blessing it's been! Some days are great, some days are a challenge. Either way, the secret to success is staying positive & make learning fun! God bless!
  • Dayna5K
    Dayna5K Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That's great that you all have the means to educate your children at home. My daughter, 9, has been in Montessori since she was 4 years old. It is a good fit for us and unlike the public school in the area it allows her to learn as fast or as slowly as needed.

It'd be great if parents who chose to homeschool could get a break on their taxes. That would be reason for many to leave the public institutions.
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Like another on here, I'm not a parent, but I was homeschooled from first grade until college. If you'd like to shoot me any questions (except legal, because it was so long ago that things have probably changed) my inbox is open :)