Do all beverages count towards your water intake?

Options

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on preference, I only count my pure water as water. I don't count my tea as water, or any other water based drinks.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I hate water. My nutritionist said to make diluted Wylers lite lemonade - It's got 2 1/2 calories per cup, but I put it under water consumed.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Only if it has H2O in it.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Yes, its water. Simple as that.
  • phenixred
    phenixred Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I count water as water If i add Mio, crystal light or Powered Iced tea packet to it, its still counts as water. Iced tea from a can or jug(i dont drink this to often), tea and coffee i add as that. If I drink Diet pop I add it as pop.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I only count water. Not coffee, not tea, not wine. Water.

I agree. Counting other beverages seems like a "cheat" to me. Why would you count a diet coke or the likes as WATER?
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I only count water, personally.

Same... I'm a bit of a purist on this one :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of iced tea and I was wondering if that counts towards your water intake or no because it's a diuretic? I don't really like water by itself :(

Personally, I don't count it because I want to track how much water (purely water nothing else) I'm drinking. I suppose you could count tea since it's primarily water, unless you put alot of sugar in it, in which case I wouldn't count it. However, I wouldn't drink all tea all the time. If you have trouble drinking water, try putting in a squeeze of fresh lemon, lime, orange, tangerene, or grapefruit. JUST a squeeze, though. It gives the water a hint of flavor without adding a bunch of sugar, artificial color, or preservatives like you find in the little flavor packets.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I only count water, I sometimes have soda water though which I also count when I get bored or regular tap juice...
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I count water as water and everything else as it's labeled, because other drinks are not strictly water.
  • spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A fly fell into my water this morning, so I guess it's no longer water. Most of you must be half dead of dehydration since you aren't having any "water".
  • wellbert
    Options

I agree. Counting other beverages seems like a "cheat" to me. Why would you count a diet coke or the likes as WATER?

Because diet coke is 95% water.

Caffeine can be a diuretic, but not in the doses that normal mortals take it in.

Also, surprise! Food counts as water too. Unless you're eating astronaut ice-cream...

I don't get the dogma about water here. It literally takes 10 seconds on google to learn the truth about hydration.

OP- Don't sweat it. You aren't chronically dehydrated because you have iced tea. Being thirsty doesn't mean you're going to turn into dust and blow away. Break free of the crap and the '8 glasses a day mantras' and join the sane side of MFP that isn't drowning itself.
  • ansy96
    ansy96 Posts: 55
    Options
    I only count water and tea without sweeteners. I think the other drinks always contain carbs.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Why would something that is mostly water not count?!

Heck is chicken breast with cheese and tomato sauce on the top still counting as protein?!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Because it is 99% water!
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Because it is 99% water!

Bravo LOL :bigsmile:
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    No one is probably answering (at first) because it is one of those topics that everyone disagrees on. Some people will say yes log it, others will say to log only water. You do what feels right to you.

Edit: Personally I only log water as water but in reality I go by the color of my pee. If it is very pale to nearly clear I know I'm getting enough water.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    A drink containing water is frigging water. There is nothing to disagree on.
  • wellbert
    Options
    A drink containing water is frigging water. There is nothing to disagree on.

Everyone acts like drinking a diet coke will dehydrate you the same way quaffing a pint of milk of magnesia will...
  • AndrewXB9
    AndrewXB9 Posts: 114
    Options
    I only count a glass of water.

Although, that is all i drink all day, every day.