Stop calling me too skinny!

Options

Replies

• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    F*%k what everyone else has to say! It pisses me off everytime I think about no one ever telling me that I was getting too overweight but, when I lost the weight, I am now too skinny. Healthy and fit is what I am and if they don't like it, they can K.M.A.! I am happy with how I feel and look and you should be too.

Don't spend your life trying to please everyone because you will NEVER be happy.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot... I ignore it. I know where I need to be better than anyone. I am aiming for 17-18 as well. Currently at 19% Good luck love, and don't pay them any mind....Carry on!!!!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I think it'd be better for you to lose your fat from muscle toning and moderate weight lifting compared to just losing more lbs. That way you won't have the jiggle and if people see some muscle they can't claim you're "skin and bone" but if your family and husband are concerned, you may want to listen. Their hearts are in the right place, compared to co workers and their crappy remarks.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    IDK...I don't know you...however if everyone around you are telling you the same thing, especially the people you love and love you, then maybe you should stop for a moment and listen to them.

Yea, you can give me all the numbers you want, but these people know you....they love you...they are concerned for your well being.

What concerned me is the fact that you no longer log. You say you are eating 1500 cals but six months ago, I said the same thing lol (instead I was eating 3000....maybe you might be eating 500 and don't realize it). Try logging again for a few days and see.

At your height/weight...the way you look in your pic....it looks to me like you are thin enough. Listen to your loved ones hon....they are not lying.

This is very similar to what I was thinking....
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have definitely been getting that and "you don't need to watch what you eat" or "you're so little. you really don't need to work out/lose any weight/etc". I was seriously unhealthy, out of shape and overweight (though never obese) and decided to change my eating habits and start working out. I still log because I don't think that I would be able to approrpriately gauge and control my calorie intake without doing so and I get made fun of for that as well. I think some of it is people genuinely trying to be nice and tell me that I look great but I know that others are jealous and may feel that I'd be judging them or feel self conscious that they have failed to make the changes that I have made. I take the genuine compliments in stride and politely accept them while also acknowledging that I haven't yet reached my goals. For the others, I don't know what to do anymore because if they feel the need to cut me down to boost themselves up, I'm not sure there's much I can do other than offer up advice if they ever want it. For the record, I don't judge unless people continually complain to me about how they can't lose weight, are too out of shape, etc while chowing down on high calorie/fat, nutritionally void foods and complaining that they don't have time for a 20min workout. At that point, I still don't judge...I just don't wanna hear it :)
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    I get this all the time from my wife. The problem is that it took me 12 years or so to pack in the weight, and about 7 months to take it all off. So she has in her head this concept of what I should look like, and what I do look like is nothing like it. The other part is that we were supposed to lose weight together, but she got left way behind. I used MFP, she went on weight watchers, but the points system is too arbitrary, not built up enough, and instead of scanning a single bar code like I did, she had to enter 4 different values to get a point count, and that didn't cover anything that wasn't prepackaged. I remember once I made dinner for us, and it took her longer to enter all the nutrition values than it did to eat the dinner.

Anyway, the point is that she tells me at least once a week that I'm too skinny, and I tell her that I'm not losing any more, and it's just toning from her on out. Over time, she'll get used to it. She does lament the loss of my derriere, but I think she can cope with that.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I"ve told this story on other message boards. I go to a fairly large church. 5 weekend services with about 2500-3000 people. About 20 adults meet in my home mid week from our church. I had one woman that comes to my home, who is VERY pear shaped (seriously tiny through the shoulders and rib cage and a BIG ole booty, hips, calves, ankles) tell me that people like me (and a handful of us who are pretty serious about getting more fit) are too tiny and make fat people not want to go to our church! I was floored!! I'm 5'5" and weigh 133-135 ish. Not exactly a light weight by any means. However, my being "skinny" (her term) is going to cause others to look for another church. Are you kidding me??? That one really ticked me off.

You need to concentrate on being healthy about your weight. If you are, then ignore the critics. If you have even the slightest inkling that you've gone a bit overboard (not saying you have) then consider if the critics statements have any truth or if it's simply out of jealousy.

In any event, I hope the critics move on to another subject, and you enjoy many healthy years!!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was hearing the same thing. So then I thought, maybe I am too skinny. So I ended up gaining 5lbs, which on our frames is huge, but it is 5 lbs of jiggly belly fat, not muscle. I am going to now "start over" and try to focus more on healthy eating and strength training and less on how many calories consumed and endless cardio.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 138lbs and most everyone is already calling me too skinny too and I have another 15 to go.. and still have a fat tummy! I think that the tummy is hidden well and since I'm naturally small boned, they arent used to seeing any of my bones and therefore think I'm too thin! I used to weigh 179 so there is a BIG difference in how I look.
    However, this is my body, my health and I believe that I have healthy goals. I want to weigh 120lbs but no less, due to my small bones. If I look too thin when I get there, I'll build more muscle. For me, it's about being at a healthy bmi WITH a healthy look with muscles!
    I will also add that I am a recovered anorexic/bulimic so I know that I am at risk of going back where I was. I have healthy goals and knowing the risk of 'not knowing how to stop' and recognizing it, I'll get help if I need it.
    I think that some of the people remember when I was anorexic and are afraid I'm heading back to that dark place. I am not! I also think that some of them wish they could get control of their health and be like me and are threatened. True friends and the family who really care about you will care about your outcome but also support the fact that you want to be HEALTHY.
    I'd worry about you, re-evaluate if you need to, be aware of what people are saying but blow it off if need be.
    Good luck and <hugs>.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It's typical in America for thin, healthy people to be considered unhealthy and too thin. Look at the percentage of fat people in this country; a healthy, thin person isn't the norm. When I was vegan, I was very naturally thin and got the same b.s. I'd just smile, say thank you, I prefer to stay on the thinner side because it keeps my blood pressure, cholesterol and other issues related to being fat out of my life and mind.

If that doesn't work, just tell them to put their nose back in their business and out of yours!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Oh, I totally hear you! I was just asked yesterday if I could even shop in the women's section, or if I had to shop in the kids' section. WHAT??? lol

People do not take into account that
    1) Short people can weigh less
    2) Skinny does not equal healthy
    3) Our culture has made fat normal, and obese "chubby"

If you think our culture currently has made fat normal, you need to look at some historical paintings/drawings/photographs.

Sorry, I just found that slightly irritating. I hate when people act like this is a "new" thing that people are "heavy". It's not new.

To the OP, you need to do what you want to do - I have totally different goals than you, and that's okay - I admire you setting goals and working towards them, and I would hope that people would give the same respect. I know they don't, but wish they would!
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    If you think our culture currently has made fat normal, you need to look at some historical paintings/drawings/photographs.

Sorry, I just found that slightly irritating. I hate when people act like this is a "new" thing that people are "heavy". It's not new.

Yes, it is new. Just because Rubens painted curvy models doesn't mean the streets of Amsterdam were filled with similar ladies.

--P
  • BogusAnnie
    Options
    I HAVE had this happen...all my life until I was fat.

I think that it is all relative. We live in such a fat culture that people really don't know what 'normal' is anymore. They simply don't see it often enough.
    As well, I truly believe that when people point out how 'skinny' you are, it somehow justifies why they may not be at their ideal size and body image.

People truly don't GET that is just as rude to point out how skinny someone is as it is to point out how fat someone is. people just don't know how to be civil anymore.

I know it's hard to expect you to ignore it, but there isn't much more you can do, short of telling them all to go bleep themselves..and well, that simply isn't the nicest way to approach it either.

It would be funny to ask them what their weight and height was and calculate their BF or BMI and point out just where they fit on the scale!! That might shut them up!

Chin up and good luck....As long as you are healthy and happy, that really is all that matters!
  • obrendao
    obrendao Posts: 318
    Options
    Don't listen to people who criticize you - it probably gets really old when people say that. They think it's OKAY to tell a thin person that they need to eat. But they wouldn't tell a fat person that they need to lose weight (well, some of the would especially family LOL), so I can see how frustrating it can be.

But honestly, be the way you want to be and be happy. Don't listen. Be proud. Focus on the fact that you are healthy and feel good!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weigh 118. I'm not trying to lose weight, I'm trying to gain muscle. And whether you know it or not if you are trying to get to 17% body fat you are too. I don't understand being bothered by what ignorant people think or say.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yes I get this all the time from co-workers now and even my mom (but moms are like that). We were all eating Indian food at an event and I took a half a cup of rice and one coworker said "oh I forgot you're on the crazy diet". I'm sorry but a half a cup of rice is reasonable for MOST people not just me, especially since I had half a piece of naan too. Or I'll get "oh now you have to run around the block!". sigh.

You just have to smile and say "Thank you, but I am healthy and happy". Then roll your eyes as you walk away lol. People are going to pick on your no matter what. It's politically correct for some reason to tell someone they are too skinny but not to tell them they are fat.Some people are jealous, some are concerned (especially if you have lots of muscle then you look like you weigh less than you actually do), and some people have no off button. Another coworker of mine (who clearly has weight issues as she is smaller than I am and quite active) told me my neck was too thin.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    I've been getting that comment alot lately!! Pisses me off too. I'm 5'4" and 135lbs with a BMI of 23.2 and 20% body fat. So yes, i'm thin, but NOT skinny and I have muscle tone. I eat 1600 calories a day and actually eat more than my other coworkers. I think it's just jealously on their part but it still stings when people flat out ask you, "you're not going to lose anymore weight are you?". I wish people would say something nice or nothing at all.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My advice is to go to your doctor and explain your plan to get your doctor's blessing. Then, if people say you're too thin, you can say your doctor approves.

One note of caution- beware the weight on the scale. You may not need to lose pounds to hit the fat percentage you're shooting for. Remember that muscle is more dense than fat, which means you could end up thinner, with a lower fat percentage, but weighing what you do now or even more. I think you should rely more on measurements and how you feel.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I used to ge that all the time. Before I had kids I was 5'7" and 100 lbs. I was eating like a maniac (not healthy at all). People would shove food at me like I was going to keel over at any moment. I just had a really high metabolisim; wish it would come back.

You know your body. I think maybe getting an actual body fat test done would be a great idea. That way you will know, instead of guess.
  • nwilson91
    nwilson91 Posts: 70
    Options
    I think you should get your body fat checked by a professional to see where you really are.

This.

Ditto.

But I also had problems when I went from 183lbs to 135lbs; everyone I knew said I was losing too much. Of course they didn't know about the decade of my adult life I spent under 125lbs (I'm 5'4" with a fairly slim build) - or that I'd never been over 135 until I moved to the Midwest in my late 20's.

I decided it must be a regional thing - I was living in Iowa (one of the fattest states in the Union). No one ever hassled me when I went home to CA.

I say let THEM eat cake... I'd rather trust the experts to determine a healthy weight for my height, and though I know that the charts are skewed for us small folk, getting down there is not beyond the pale.