Almond milk vs. Soy Milk vs. Rice Milk...

Options

Replies

• kateshape
    kateshape Posts: 25
    Options
    i like sogood vanilla soy, but they don't sell it over in england and i don't find the alpro brand compares. i used almond milk for a while, but it was too watery for my taste. now i just use plain old skim milk, but only use about 125ml a day in my oatmeal in the morning.
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love Silk Almond milk unsweetened vanilla 35 calories... it's smooth tastes great... works great in coffee and cereal.... It's the best one out there as far as I am concerned. I have always had issues with milk and it's taste.... Almond milk yummy and for a treat dark chocolate almond milk....Soy is OK.... and for that I would go with 8th continent light if not silk but we can't by that here in Dodge cIty...never had the rice milk but used to eat rice dream ice cream and it's tasty too.21842360.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love soy milk as my dairy replacement b/c of the protein, but I also love almond and rice milk when I am not as concerned about the protein. Rice milk seems to have a "cleaner" taste more similar to dairy milk.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I love both Soy & Almond, but recently decided to drink Almond milk exclusively due to the hormonal effects possible with soy products. "Real" milk is disgusting..

And I didn't realize so many cow's could type.. I'm impressed!! Since you know, those are the only mammals that should be boasting about drinking cow's milk. Keyword: cow's. Cow milk is for cows, just as dog's milk is for their puppies & your breastmilk is for human babies up to a certain age. We are the ONLY species that will gladly take the milk from another species, not to mention the only one that continues to consume milk past infancy. Stupid humans..

There is A LOT of things humans consume that other species don't. I am assuming then that you do all your grocery shopping in the woods and only eat berries, grass, and whatever you can catch and kill?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I love both Soy & Almond, but recently decided to drink Almond milk exclusively due to the hormonal effects possible with soy products. "Real" milk is disgusting..

And I didn't realize so many cow's could type.. I'm impressed!! Since you know, those are the only mammals that should be boasting about drinking cow's milk. Keyword: cow's. Cow milk is for cows, just as dog's milk is for their puppies & your breastmilk is for human babies up to a certain age. We are the ONLY species that will gladly take the milk from another species, not to mention the only one that continues to consume milk past infancy. Stupid humans..

There is A LOT of things humans consume that other species don't. I am assuming then that you do all your grocery shopping in the woods and only eat berries, grass, and whatever you can catch and kill?

Best. Diet. Plan. EVER!

*LOL*:drinker:
  • amyindm
    amyindm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I sampled a lot of varieties this month as I experimented with going dairy free. Almond milk was ok but I know some love it so it is a matter of personal taste. Like many others, I stay away from processed soy. My fave option by far was So Delicious Coconut milk.. both plain and vanilla... yum! I love it. No funky taste. I don't love the guar gum in it... I think it affects my digestion but it might not bother others. It was fun sampling new stuff!
  • Capka
    Capka Posts: 5
    Options
    I love almond milk, but what brands don't have carageenan in them?
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Goat!!!!!

I haven't tried this but to the original posted of this topic, have you? Are you lactose intolerant or cow milk intolerant?
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The Silk chocolate almond milk is the best thing ever. I love it. i do still use 2% cows milk bc the hubby wont drink almond mlik, but i love the stuff. Silk makes little individual cartons of the choc and vanilla almond mik, i love to take those to work fo a snack!
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    i have been using recently silk light vanilla soy...replaced my creamer in my coffee...enjoy it :0)

Great idea! I am trying to reduce the calorie intake for my coffee creamer. It's 30 cals for vanilla sugar free. I could have far less calories with a dash of vanilla almond milk in my coffee :):)
  • patjohan
    patjohan Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been using Costco's Organic Soy Milk for about a year now and love it. However, I am concerned about the estrogen so will try some almond and rice. I'm not crazy about the taste of almond milk and the rice has too much sugar -- what's a woman to do? Will try almond brands other than Costco and maybe find something tolerable. Has anyone tried making their own almond milk?
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I like cashew milk the best. Easy 2 DIY.
  • tebcolorado
    Options
    Organic unsweetened almond milk ALL THE WAY! It's SO good in oatmeal or just drinking it straight up. I cook with it frequently too. Works fantastic.

Down with cow's milk. Boo!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hi Abby. I read the same thing about how Soy can be bad for your hormones. I usually drink Almond milk as it blends better with just about everything and I can't tell a big difference when I use it on cereal. I never could get into the rice milks. They all seemed sorta powdery. I don't know if there's a difference between brands. I know I've had friends who say Hemp milk is supposed to be delicious and very smooth. I haven't tried that one yet.

As for being stupid on drinking milk, well I'm not sure it's that dumb. We did create aged cheeses and in the past that might have been a pretty good source of Calcium. You got to remember, way back when they didn't exactly have the technology to make almond milk and some of the others that easily. Heck, I think rice came from the orient (so you ate LOTS of potatoes or breads). In addition, you'd most likely have lived off of dried and HEAVILY salted meat (no refrigeration) and probably cheeses that were kept in cellars (people made these intentionally). You'd have canned everything BUT you were limited to what was regional. Also, we ate a more varied diet. You didn't eat just cow - you have to add Venison, Birds (all that fly literally), rabbits, pig/hog, Cows, Fish....basically, if you could hunt it - you ate it. Preservation techniques didn't involve refrigeration and you most likely would have finished out the winter with meat that was half rotten. They'd rewet the meats in water to get the salt out and BEAT IT TO DEATH to try and soften it. We're lucky we're able to choose a dairy source. In some countries, a cow may be the difference between getting calcium or not getting it. :)

I for one am grateful that I can choose but I have to ask myself - why did they do it? I think there are some obvious reasons. If any of you are curious, just go to Google and look up canning and drying meats before refrigeration. It's rather eye opening and makes me REAL happy I don't have to do any of that though I'm sure it still exists somewhere.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    One thing with Soy Milk:
    if you have psoriasis, it will make it worst. Especially if you have dry scalp conditions. Just a PS...
  • bethangray
    Options
    since soy causes your body to produce estrogen, too much of it can be harmful for your hormone balance. so i drink almond almost exclusively (plus i think it's SO much better). the original silk kind is already naturally sweet, so it's better to avoid the sugar and drink that.

^ Pretty much what I would have said.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do coconut milk, it's low carb, and healthy. My son does Rice milk it's what he prefers but it's higher carb. Soy milk has too many hormone-messing stuff in it for our famiily. Coconut mixed with almond vanilla is very good. Unsweetened, of course no one needs the extra sugar. I also love HAZELNUT milk, for coffee, tea, etc.
  • TanyaGirl76
    TanyaGirl76 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is bad for you you....most of the time it's GMO and even when it's not it's really not a good choice...I would go with Coconut or Almond, Hemp....
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    My kids say they hate almond milk, so I'm tempted to pour it into a cow milk bottle and see if they say anything about it. LOL. Yes, I fu*k with their minds like that.
  • blubear308
    Options
    I like both almond milk and soy milk since i really don't like regular milk . i love the vanilla flavor its the best. Rice milk have not had it yet.