The "C" Word...

Options
AND MAGNESIUM WINS!!!!! Thanks guys, going to the store first thing!

Constipation! UGH major issue for me I have tried to correct it naturally and do okay for a bit but BAM it comes right back. Anyone else have chronic issues with this that can offer advice? Taking a laxative, softener, or cleanse every day is NOT healthy. I need different solutions. I am 100% clean eater at this point (see my diary if you don't believe me) and I do not consume dairy products or other binding products at all. I am SO frustrated, I feel like I have to go but NOTHING happens when I try. HELP!!!!! I have probably tried almost everything but at the chance I may not have I want to hear real life suggestions. THANK YOU! xoxo

Replies

• leslie55518
    Options
    My only advice would be water, water, water, water, and then when you think you could possibly not drink any more water, drink more water. ;)
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Fiber and mineral oil.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My only advice would be water, water, water, water, and then when you think you could possibly not drink any more water, drink more water. ;)

HAHA I drink between 20 and 24 glasses a day not counting food but I can try for more!
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My dad has luck with romaine lettuce
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    Fiber and mineral oil.

I eat a lot of fiber and I researched it and try not to go too much over because it actually causes constripation so I have to be careful....what kind of mineral oil? Ingesting it? I have castor oil
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Those probiotic yoghurts do the trick really well, but yeah heaps of water and an apple (or black coffee and a cigarette!)
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    2 cups of coffee a day does it for me.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    My dad has luck with romaine lettuce
    I eat TONS of that already but thanks so much for chiming in!!!
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    More fruit and exercise.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    2 cups of coffee a day does it for me.
    I am SUPER sensative to it but I may need to try it!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I alternate psyllium fiber and oat bran in my protein shakes. Keeps me regular without taking things to the messy, opposite extreme.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I do eat the Sun Sweet brand D'noir prunes. They are yummy but then I was told to add more protein in my diet b/c that is suppose to help with digestion and so after my workouts I eat a Pure Protein bar and it helped. I can actually "go" without taking anything else.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    More fruit.
    I typically eat a lot of fruit (which hasnt helped) but I am on a burn program where I eat fruit every 4 days. I have had this problem for months prior to stating burn and refuel. :)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Constipation! UGH major issue for me I have tried to correct it naturally and do okay for a bit but BAM it comes right back. Anyone else have chronic issues with this that can offer advice? Taking a laxative, softener, or cleanse every day is NOT healthy. I need different solutions. I am 100% clean eater at this point (see my diary if you don't believe me) and I do not consume dairy products or other binding products at all. I am SO frustrated, I feel like I have to go but NOTHING happens when I try. HELP!!!!! I have probably tried almost everything but at the chance I may not have I want to hear real life suggestions. THANK YOU! xoxo

400mg of Magnesium citrate on a daily basis.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    I alternate psyllium fiber and oat bran in my protein shakes. Keeps me regular without taking things to the messy, opposite extreme.
    is the fiber in powder form? Where do you get it?
  • kaymunee
    kaymunee Posts: 1
    Options
    Ever try psyllium husk? You can find it at whole food stores and just mix with water. Works great.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Water!
    Fiber-rich foods also made a noticeable difference for me too, but the biggest thing in my experience that helped was drinking plenty of water. I also take probiotics and if I need a little bit of 'help' I take flaxseed oil. Hope that helps a bit :)
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    Never heard that one... where do you get it?!
  • EPhinn
    EPhinn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have that problem often. And after having kids, I occasionally get hemorrhoids and fissures. No fun! I've had to change the way I eat, A LOT. I've been starting my day with oatmeal, and I add ground flaxseed and chia seeds to that. I eat prunes as a snack. I drink plenty of water and take cod liver oil capsules. I eat plenty of fruit, and do my best to stay away from things that can stop me up. Have you considered that it could be a supplement you are taking? Iron can stop you up pretty good, and I know there are others out there, but I can't think of any off the top of my head at the moment. Since I've done what I've been doing, I have been regular than I've EVER been with no hemorrhoid flare ups. It's been nice.
  • LewisMrsType
    Options
    You should definitely talk to your physician!! If you've tried a bunch of remedies and still aren't having any luck, ask your doctor what they think. I hate to be the girl with the negative attitude, but there could be a bigger issue that needs addressing. Talk to your doctor! Good luck!