Replies

• lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Bump for when I get home later. :smile: Thanks!
  • ewhitehurst1
    ewhitehurst1 Posts: 178
    Options
    Bump! Thanks!
  • myth4ever
    myth4ever Posts: 372
    Options
    awesome!
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Saving!
  • kcrozell
    kcrozell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later, thanks!
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I noticed I can eat more and do cardio with the way the formula calculated, but I would have a smaller rate of loss that way (ave .54/week) compared to if I did heavy lifting I could lose at a higher rate on average but eat less (ave. 1 lb/loss per week)?

I'm a bit confused by this, too--the sheet directs me to eat about 250 calories less if I'm doing heavy lifting than if I'm doing mostly cardio or no exercise at all. Can that be right?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So, are you saying it's really about how you want to manage your diet? But with the TDEE formulas you are more likely to conserve LBM? Also, I noticed I can eat more and do cardio with the way the formula calculated, but I would have a smaller rate of loss that way (ave .54/week) compared to if I did heavy lifting I could lose at a higher rate on average but eat less (ave. 1 lb/loss per week)?

MFP had me set to 1230 cal at a rate of 1 lb/week, last year this worked for a few weeks and then "stalled." I am looking more into getting into shape and burning body fat, so what is going to better for working out and dieting to lose fat? I like the idea of a more stable nutirional intake. I do cardio (running 3-5x/week at 30 mins each) and also incorporate weight lifting 2-3x a week.

I had been at the current plan of 1230 for 3 weeks and haven't really lost :( I look better though! I'm looking into getting a tap measure and some way to mesure BF% for more accurate measurement of results since my weight fluctuates considerably..

These deficit methods are more conservative and not so aggressive, so the best chance of not losing LBM.

As the study shows for the bigger deficit, they lifted heavy and maintained LBM (actually gained), so there's your best chance.
    Also because lifting may burn less during the workout, but the fat burned later during the recovery period is much better.

So you would be better served keeping the cardio to 2 x week if you just enjoy it, in the aerobic zone, and lifting for sure 3x week, making them longer sessions lifting heavy.
    Use the bigger deficit then.
    For the activity level, notice that is hrs, and since you may be at the 4hr range of 3-5 hrs now.

For sure get your bodyfat% estimate too, as that could change things by 100-200 calories either direction, and could be important to maintaining what you already got.

On the Macros tab, if you do the bigger deficit, you should also take the default values for tweaking the diet.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I noticed I can eat more and do cardio with the way the formula calculated, but I would have a smaller rate of loss that way (ave .54/week) compared to if I did heavy lifting I could lose at a higher rate on average but eat less (ave. 1 lb/loss per week)?

I'm a bit confused by this, too--the sheet directs me to eat about 250 calories less if I'm doing heavy lifting than if I'm doing mostly cardio or no exercise at all. Can that be right?

Sure, read the study, if you do weight lifting, you can retain your muscle and therefore take a bigger deficit.

If you do a little bit of lifting, you could also split the difference.
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    Bumpppety bump
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help!!:smile:
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Ok, so you have a tad less LBM than avg for person your age/height/weight.
    But that's good to know, and great reason you don't want to eat too little and possible lose more. You need it all.

So you need to figure out which is more motivating to you.
    I scheduled 5 hrs of weekly exercise into my daily avg eating amount.
    or
    I want to eat some extra each day and that motivates me to work out.

If the former, use the BMR/TDEE tab and be realistic for the amount of hours you can get yourself to workout weekly.
    Take which ever deficit method is appropriate.

If the latter, use the MFP Tweak tab and use the RMR as lower value to hit each day, and since using a HRM eat back extra when you burn extra. Don't worry about getting it eaten within that day before midnight, but before the next workout at least in 24 hrs. So in the green one day, in the red the next.
    Thanks for the input. My work-life is totally unpredictable so I prefer option 2 so I only get credit for exercise when I actually do it :-)
    So I'll aim for the Katch amount at least in the 24 hour period.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Sure, read the study, if you do weight lifting, you can retain your muscle and therefore take a bigger deficit.

If you do a little bit of lifting, you could also split the difference.

Ah, okay--so is this basically like a cutting phase, then? That was the impression I got from the study abstract.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Just saved a copy to my Google Drive. I'm going to give it a closer look later on.
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    bump for when I get home so I can download it on my computer!

THANK YOU!
This discussion has been closed.