• onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Check this out and judge for yourself.

http://blogilates.com/best-of/5427378002
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So, you recognized almost immediately the guy was full of $#*&, he wasted your time, he was only trying to sell you a bunch of worthless vitamins, he even admitted some of the tests were crap, etc., etc., but you fixated on the body fat %, as if he somehow managed to get that part right?

--P

Probably because it was the machine that gave the number, so he didn't just pull it out of the air. Whether it was even remotely accurate is a different story, but the fact that it came from a source other than him gives it different weight than anything he spews.
  • Amanda993
    Amanda993 Posts: 51
    Options
    You look fantastic! I would never ever ever put you in the obese category. Even overweight would be an insult. You are proportioned very well.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Here is me, about 7-8 pounds heavier than I am now:

24128580_8008.jpg

Maybe my legs or boobs upped the percentage.

What am I supposed to use then? Pay extra, on top of my gym membership, for someone ELSE to calculate it? What is a caliper? I'm just so overwhelmed right now. Really considering complaining to that stupid gym. I've enjoyed their classes so far. But I was so mad at that trainer. Maybe I just can't handle the truth.

No way are you in the obese range!!! You look great. Forget the numbers and focus on how you feel, how your clothes fit, and the occasional glance at the scale. If you enjoy the classes--stick with the gym. If not--ditch it (but look at your contract). Stick your fingers in your ears and hum when approached by the trainer...
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    162 lbs at 5'4" is not considered obese. It is overweight.
    http://www.dietpower.com/help/diet/obese__how_to_tell_if_you_re.htm
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    How about getting a another test done with a different instrument (perhaps calipers) and a different trainer . . . there is a way you can quickly get a nutrition/exercise routine to lower your body fat.
  • sevesmith
    sevesmith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There is no way you are 41%. When I started MFP I weighed 229.8 and was 40.5%. and I'm 5'3". MFP has a great tool under the TOOLS tab, called the BMI, it will calculate your body fat for you anytime. according to your weight and height you are 27.8%/
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    So, you recognized almost immediately the guy was full of $#*&, he wasted your time, he was only trying to sell you a bunch of worthless vitamins, he even admitted some of the tests were crap, etc., etc., but you fixated on the body fat %, as if he somehow managed to get that part right?

--P

I was mostly just ranting about the trainer to point out that he didn't explain the numbers or the machine, which is why I was asking MFP about it. He didn't come up with the numbers, the machine did.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a scale at home that's supposed to measure body fat, I don't completely trust it, however it tells me I'm around 41%. The online calculators that I've found that go by some measurements also say around that percentage. We have about the same chest size, but I weigh about 20lbs more and there's no way in hell I could pull off that bikini like you do! So with my experience I would say that you certainly don't look like 41% body fat! I think you look awesome!
  • ldugon
    ldugon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should consider going to get a real body fat test. The best kind is the hydrostatic test where you go in the tank of water for the measurement. The machine he had you on was probably not very reliable. Given your height and weight it sounds unreasonable that your body fat could be that high. I am no expert though but it would be worth doing the best type of test to find out. Don't let this get you down! I am 5'6" and 214 and my body fat is 43.5. Everybody is different! When you do the hydrostatic test the results tell you exactly how many calories you need to eat (resting metabolic rate) in order to lose a pound a week. You'll find out how many calories you actually burn doing given exercises for 30 minutes and you will understand how much protein you need to eat in order to lose fat but not muscle. Highly recommend it. You can check out www.bodyfattest.com and click on your city (or closest to you) to find someplace to do the test. Depending on where you are (I am in Atlanta) other companies may offer it as well.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've had my BF% done several times in the last few weeks. On the Fat2Fit.com website, their three calculators gave me 42%, 27% and 28%. The scale gave me 41%. And the calipers gave me 39%.

I really couldn't care less what number comes up for body fat, because I know that I'm working to get rid of that. What I really want to know is my lean body mass. At 5'2", I'm constantly told that I should weigh 120-130, but I know that my lean body mass is far too high for that. The only way to accurately decide your "right" weight is by knowing that number. Unfortunately, the only semi-accurate scale - the hydrotank - is outside my budget.

In the meantime, I'm just keeping track of my measurements and my jiggle. So long as both are shrinking, I'm happy.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Oh.... I went through EXACTLY the same thing....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/642892-so-upset-discouraged
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I get a body composition scan at my medical clinic periodically that gives me my body fat percent. It is relatively inexpensive and very accurate.It comes with detailed reports too. Check it out with your doctor or a local clinic to see if the service is offered. My insurance does not cover it, but it is worth every cent.
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Invisible Bug Exterminator did a free analysis and said I was infested with invisible bugs.

Imaginary Friend Finder told me my imaginary friend left, and said I should hire them to find a new one.

I had a Chakra fixer read my Chakra, and it was broken.

Don't get a body fat test. Do you weigh less? Are you Active/Exercising? Are your clothes fitting looser? Boom. You're fine.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    I had a membership at LIfeTime. I loved that gym, but it is quite pricey. What she is talking about is the free diagnostic test that they give you when you sign up. They give you three free sessions with the personal trainer, hoping that you will buy the personal training package.

I would ignore it. They want to sell you stuff, because at the end of the day they are a business. They tried to get me to buy those supplements too.

You may not be 41% fat, but you can use that to check your progress. If you get back on that machine and it tells you 35% then maybe, just maybe with all these being the same you have lost a good percentage of body fat.
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What you think of you matters most of all. You could weigh the same but be 93% or 2% fat if the tools are inaccurate and it won't change a thing. You are what you are at this point in time but a measure won't make it different. I know this to be true as in some dress shops I'm a size 8 and in others a 14 is too small- so what? Should I be desponded or overjoyed depending on the shop I'm in.........
    If accuracy is very important to you then a better measuring tool is needed, if not and this is a stage post, then write it off to experience- let it go and not trap you or distract you. I think you are looking amazing as you travel your journey, getting better and better. Trust yourself and continue to move to your goal.

Jasmin
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I did the hydro static test (where they dunk you and weigh.) It told me at 230 lbs that I was only 40.5 % fat. All other devices show me at about 55-60. so I would take the scale thing with a grain of salt. :)
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    They inform the trainer on your level of fitness/knowledge of the equipment, the skills you possess, and also measurements of your current body conditions. You can do it, don't get down on yourself
  • Looking4ward
    Looking4ward Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try this:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

It appears to be fairly accurate - used several that give me close to the same answers.

I'm 5'4" and a year ago I weighed 162.

That worked out to:

Body Mass Index: 27.9 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.45
    Percent Body Fat: 30.2%
    Lean Body Mass: 113.0 lb

At the end of last August I joined MFP and have logged every day. - 337 in a row.

My current weight is 130 and I feel great.

Body Mass Index: 22.4 kg/m2
    Waist-to-Height ratio: 0.38
    Percent Body Fat: 19.5%
    Lean Body Mass: 104.6 lb

Set yourself a goal and make a plan. Weigh in and measure yourself. ( AT WHAT EVER INTERVAL FEELS RIGHT TO YOU! )

Don't obsess about body fat or listen to ANYONE who tries to sell you their method or supplements or quick fixes.

By the way, I'll celebrate my 68th birthday next week.

If I can do this, so can you.