How do you motivate yourself for early AM workouts?

Options

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:30 to workout. First and foremost, you will get used to it. If you do it every day after the first week it's not nearly as difficult. For me, I know that 1. I feel better when I work out and 2. I skip twice as many workouts that're scheduled after work. I get up, workout, shower, have breakfast, and typically have a half an hour left over. I use that time to do random little tasks around the house - dusting, a load of laundry, etc - so that when I get home, all I have to do is unwind.

Also - my motto is "by 5am the hardest part of my day is already over" ... SO refreshing to know that it's all cake after that!
  • Ladyvirgosdj
    Ladyvirgosdj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I try to go at 5 every morning.. I have to go while my 1 year old and 7 month old are still sleeping and my 16 year old has football practice in the evening so the only time I can go is early. Also, the gym is empty around that time so I just blast my music and enjoy my hour to myself.. No Kids, No Man, just me doing me.. AND I ENJOY IT!!! :)
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I've been getting up early for my workouts for years. When I first started, I would move back my wake up time in short increments. So the first morning I got up 15 minutes early and just did a short yoga routine or a little bit on the treadmill. After a few days of that I bumped the time to 20 minutes early, and eventually 30 minutes early, etc. It made it seem like more of a gradual transition and it wasn't such a shock to get up so early!
  • rldavis120
    rldavis120 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a goal to exercise daily. I know that on Tues, Thurs and Fri, if I don't get up in the a.m., it won't get done (get home too late). When my alarm goes off, I have a conversation in my head telling me that if I don't get up, I won't get to exercise then I have to really watch what I eat. Exercise gives me the extra calories to play with so that I won't feel deprived. I must admit that most of the time exercise wins out, but not always.

Don't give up!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Given that it's incredibly hot where I live (it is in most places in the US, I know, but here it is hot for much longer than a lot of other places), I know that if I don't get up and go early and either run or go to a Spinning class, I won't go at all. I can't make any of the Spin classes later in the day due to a lack of childcare, and I won't run in the evening when it's at least 80 degrees out and mega humid.

So at 5AM my motivation is that I will be really mad at myself later if I don't get up now and just work out (because it's now or never), which will make me feel good! I've come too far to stop exercising.
  • kirdyq
    kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! This is the first thing I have ever posted on the website...and WOW, what great comments!

I get so frustrated that I can't seem to make myself do this whole workout thing. There have been a couple other things I have done in life that I've felt like were real "accomplishments" and took great willpower to get through - passing the CPA exam and breasfeeding my daughter for a year. There were so many times during both of those things that I just wanted to give up, didn't think I could do it, was tired physically and mentally, etc. But I made it through. I should be able to do this, too, I think...right??? :happy:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I used to be an early morning workout girl. I don't know what happened. I just can't seem to fall asleep before 12 anymore.... I can lay down at 10... but that's it -- I just lay there. How do ya'll go to sleep so early, to feel rested?

On nights I feel "restless" I take a 3mg melatonin about 30 minutes before I want to go to bed. Works like a charm. Melatonin is naturally produced in the body and regulates sleep. You can find it in the vitamin section.

ETA: melatonin leaves no sleeping pill "after affect" either
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome! This is the first thing I have ever posted on the website...and WOW, what great comments!

I get so frustrated that I can't seem to make myself do this whole workout thing. There have been a couple other things I have done in life that I've felt like were real "accomplishments" and took great willpower to get through - passing the CPA exam and breasfeeding my daughter for a year. There were so many times during both of those things that I just wanted to give up, didn't think I could do it, was tired physically and mentally, etc. But I made it through. I should be able to do this, too, I think...right??? :happy:

Just make it a habit! I feel weird on days (even planned "off" days) when I don't work out. You clearly have the ability to self-motivate and do what needs to be done. Consider exercise as important as anything else, and treat it like any other appointment.

You can do it!

Also, I will second the melatonin thing. I don't have problems falling asleep, but before I had a child, I did. One 3mg melatonin, and I'd be out within 45 minutes. No hangover, either :smile:
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It really helps to already have at least some kind of work out in before the day's started. I like to remind myself when I'm lying in bed that I'm going to feel much more awake throughout the day if I get my early work out in. Also my perceived rate of exertion is less sensitive in the morning because I'm not awake yet :wink:
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    :smile: Bump. I have been wanting to start early morning workouts. I hit the snooze button too much in the AM. I'll be watching this thread.
  • dirtydmvkid
    dirtydmvkid Posts: 184
    Options
    I just look at my fat stomach.
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    look at yourself naked in front of the mirror and remember that a change of lifestyle is in order. Also, after you exercise pay attention to how you feel.
  • MsDivineM
    MsDivineM Posts: 48
    Options
    For me, my motivation is, if i wait till later I will have to take my 3 children and well we all know that i will not get anything done then. Also its just "me" time. Being a stay at home mom in the summer, I can use all of that I can find. And since its done 1st thing in the am, regardless what else I get done rest of the day, I have a decent burn already in!
  • JuneyJo
    JuneyJo Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Any ideas to get myself out of that bed an moving?

I post my intentions on MFP and my friends hold me accountable. I'm going to workout at 6am tomorrow and I'll have to get up way earlier than I'm used to, so I announced it. So now I know that when the alarm goes off tomorrow, it's not just for me. My super-awesome cheering section will be waiting to hear if I made it or not. Their kudos when I succeed are great motivators! :smile:

Good luck!!! You can do it!!!:flowerforyou:
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I switch back and forth between AM and PM workouts, depending on my work schedule. When I do work out in the AM, I do not hit the snooze button. I drag myself out of bed when the alarm goes off, go potty, undressand and get right in the shower. The shower always helps to wake you up. Sure you'll need another one after your work out but hey, cleanliness is next to Godliness. Besides clean sweat is way better at the gym than dirty sweat...LOL
  • kirdyq
    kirdyq Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just look at my fat stomach.

Hahahaha! That made me laugh!
  • jperrysunlover
    jperrysunlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try on my swimsuit when I'm getting ready for bed and do the math until our next lake or beach outing. This motivates me to set out my workout clothes and set the alarm!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my protein shakes, so I use that as motivation. I get up at 5, already have clothes set out, head out the door for my run around the neighborhood at 5:15, and I run toward that goal = the awesome shake at the end!

Plus, it helps knowing that if I don't have energy to do my evening workout, I've already done enough for the day.
  • Katalyst77
    Katalyst77 Posts: 79
    Options
    Well... I dont think about it too much. I have an exercise bike in my bedroom and I tell myself..."Just get up, go pee, and get on the bike, even if it is for only 5 minutes." Once I am on the bike I wake up and the motivation to keep riding past 5 minutes comes.If I lay in bed and think about it for too long...I will talk myself out of it. "Action Precedes Motivation" Do it!!
  • BigChris2820
    Options
    I exercise outside so my morning motivation is thinking about how much hotter it's going to be later in the day and knowing I'm more susceptible to passing on exercising entirely.