Quinoa lovers!

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Put taco seasoning in the water and use the quinoa to make tacos instead of chicken or beef

Take 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese and 1 wedge laughing cow swiss cheese and mix in 1 cup cooked quinoa when it's still hot and you have a nice mac and cheese substitute
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump - LOVE quinoa, could always use more recipes. I will come back when I'm not working and post some of my favorites.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, I have SOOOO many recipes for this! I LOVE QUINOA!!!! I will make Taboulli (not sure if that is spelled right!) with it , I do half cracked wheat half quinoa. I also make Quinoa Cookies, YUM.

Quinoa cookies?! Recipe please? :flowerforyou:

Edited... you already posted it, thanks! lol
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I throw it in any kind of (vegetarian) stew I make, to add protein and interest--always is yummy.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I like to steam carrots and broccoli and mix it all together with some low sodium soy sauce :)
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    never made quinoa before, but now I have recipes to try! Thanks for sharing!
  • jenwalton
    jenwalton Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had quinoa for lunch, and it was really delicious!

I had a ton of veggies from my CSA and my garden to use up, so I chopped them up (zucchini, green onions, small red sweet peppers, basil, garlic) and mixed them into some plain quinoa with a little olive oil. I stuffed that into big bell peppers and baked.

So easy, so delicious! AND Quinoa is a superfood!
  • mhouston2011
    mhouston2011 Posts: 155
    Options
    Put taco seasoning in the water and use the quinoa to make tacos instead of chicken or beef

Take 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese and 1 wedge laughing cow swiss cheese and mix in 1 cup cooked quinoa when it's still hot and you have a nice mac and cheese substitute

So far, these are sounding the best to me...I've got to try them..thank you!!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dry61ed
    dry61ed Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Quinoa... I have just discovered it recently and love the flavor and texture. I needed recipes so these postings are fabulous!! Gonna copy them later. Thank you sooo much for sharing them. :laugh:
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • petes2872
    petes2872 Posts: 2
    Options
    Blackened Chicken w Cilantro Lime Quinoa

DSC_1537-682x1024.jpg

http://www.sarcasticcooking.com/2012/03/15/blackened-chicken-and-cilantro-lime-quinoa/

Ingredients (Serves 2-3)
    2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
    ½ Teaspoon of Paprika
    ¼ Teaspoon of Salt
    ¼ Teaspoon of Pepper
    ¼ Teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
    ¼ Teaspoon of Onion Powder
    ¼ Teaspoon of Cumin
    1 Teaspoon of Olive Oil
    2 Cups of Low Sodium Chicken Stock
    1 Cup of Quinoa
    Juice and Zest from Two Limes
    A Dash of Salt and Pepper
    2 Tablespoons of Cilantro, chopped
  • steffanyjames
    steffanyjames Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I loved quinoa so much I wanted to try quinoa flour and flakes. I add it to my own granola bars... I also started making quinoa coconut pancakes which are delish. All quinoa is so versatile... hope you guys enjoy this recipe!

Here's the recipe:

Coconut Quinoa Pancakes
    (can be shared with kids 8+ mos)*
    makes about 12 pancakes

1 cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
    1 cup quinoa flour or quinoa flakes
    1/2 cup shredded coconut (I prefer unsweetened)
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for cooking
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 eggs

1. Combine flour, quinoa flour or flakes, coconut, brown sugar, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk to work out all of the clumps.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, vanilla and eggs until well combined.

3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, whisking all the while until well combined. The batter will have texture because of the coconut (and quinoa flakes, if using), but should not have lumps.

4. Heat a well oiled pan or griddle over medium heat. Add batter in 1/4 cup scoops and cook until bubbles just begin to form around the edges. (Unlike most pancake batters, this will not bubble vigorously—you’re looking for just a couple of bubbles.) Flip and cook for another two minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Serve immediately, with a drizzle of honey or warmed maple syrup.

*Note: These make a great early finger food! If your child is not yet managing soft finger foods by 8-months-old, hold off on serving these. Otherwise, cut into age appropriate bites and serve. Skip the honey for children under 12-months-old (it’s not safe for children under one) and consider skipping the syrup, too. These have a tiny bit of sweetness on their own that should be enough for early eaters.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Made these on Sun. Subbed broccoli for zucchini. Has major awesome: http://iowagirleats.com/2012/02/16/mini-ham-cheese-quinoa-cups/

Friend/Landlady made this last month. Also has major awesome: http://iowagirleats.com/2012/06/05/bbq-chicken-quinoa-salad/
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Protein Bars

Ingredients
    2 cups of cooked quinoa, cooled
    1/2 cup natural peanut butter
    1 large banana, peeled
    2 pitted dates
    2 scoops of Barlean’s Chocolate Silk Greens
    2 tbsp chia seeds
    1 tbsp agave (optional)
    1/4 cup chocolate chips
    Instructions
    In a food processor, add peanut butter, banana, dates, Chocolate Greens Powder, and agave (optional). Mix until smooth.
    In a medium bowl add the cooked quinoa and peanut butter mixture together. Add chia seeds and chocolate chips and mix well.
    Line a 8×8 baking dish with plastic wrap and pour mixture into dish.
    Spread until evenly distributed
    Freeze until firm, about 2 hours
    Then remove from the dish and cut into squares
    Wrap individually and put back in the freezer until ready to eat

Notes
    If you do not have Barlean’s Chocolate Silk Greens Powder you can substitute 1 tbsp cocoa powder, but make sure you add a tbsp of sweetener (agave or honey).
    You can also roll the mixture into balls and freeze, or distribute mixture into muffin tins and freeze.
    They need to be stored in the freezer and are best when eaten within a few minutes of removing.

(I just use chocolate or vanilla protein powder, no sweetener)

http://www.greenplaterule.com/recipes/quinoa-protein-bars/
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    We've hit the bumping jackpot! <3 Quinoa.
  • catwoman131
    Options
    Good stuff here!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • nopudgepoot
    nopudgepoot Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I've only ever bought the "ready in 15 minutes" kind. They have a black bean quinoa that is amazing!
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump for later ! and Thanks !!