Were you treated differently after losing alot of weight?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LisaKunz
    LisaKunz Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Oh most definitely!!! It was so frustrating for me at first at the fitness center... I didn't know what I was doing, and I could hardly get any of the fellow work-outers to help me! (the staff was not always there). Now, the same guys that were absolute JERKS to me won't leave me alone!! One told me the other day, "We pegged you for one of those New Years resolution women and figured you'd only last a couple of weeks. But now you're one of us!" I think he meant it as a compliment, but it's still just wrong.
  • treimnitz
    treimnitz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Before I lost the weight, I was trying to find a different job and was going to a lot of job interviews.
    I felt like when I lost weight, people took me more seriously and respected me more.
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    Options
    After I lost over 100 pounds, people quit looking through me. Men started looking AT me. Once, when I was 48, I had a kid who couldn't be more than 22 hit on me. I was chatting with him..he started the conversation, while I was waiting for my husband to bring the car around after an evening of dancing. When I got up to go, and said my husband was probably waiting, he said, "Awww..that makes me really sad. I was trying to pick you up. You tell your husband you've still got it." I kissed him on the cheek and told him he had probably had too much to drink, but thank you for making my day. Heck, I think it probably made my year!

NICE! What did your husband say?

BTW: I gained almost 100 pounds in 2 years back in my early 20's. That wasn't a good thing, of course, but I noticed quickly that I suddenly got FAR more respect at work. (I work in technology.) When I started to lose weight, I worried that I wouldn't get the same respect. And, sure enough, the slimmer I am, the harder the meetings with the boys. I have considered going all frump-a-dump on my next business trip and seeing if the guys will listen instead of flirt. :O) Sigh!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a bit of both.. My co-workers were amazing and super positive about it, telling me how great I look and asking what I was doing, etc.

On the other hand, I've been feeling a sense of jealousy coming from one of my good friends. We've been friends for a while now, and were both overweight. A couple years ago I decided to do something about it, and now I'm about 40 pounds lighter than her. She lives in a really nice townhouse complex that has a pool that she can invite people to, and this will be her third summer there. The first summer I was overweight, and was invited. Last summer I was sporting a bikini for the first time in my life (she has always worn one as well) when she had invited me.. Now this summer-- I have yet to get an invite.. coincidence? I feel like this is one thing I have that she doesn't (she has her own place, a nice car, and she's a lawyer and makes more than twice what I do working night shift... I live at home still while I'm in grad school.) I feel like she always has to be the better one of us, and now that I'm the better one at something I think it drives her nuts, and it's really disappointing.
    We don't really talk about getting in shape, but she knows I run, and am on MFP and am now training for a marathon. If she wants advice she can ask, but until then I'm not pushing anything, and still gonna keep trying to improve myself.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,816 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have a weird one. I think that people see me as weak and helpless now that I am more petite. When I was heavier, I guess they figured that somehow I was stronger (maybe because I just had a bigger "footprint" in the universe). Trust me, I've never been stronger, and it is unnerving that perfect strangers read my fitness as weakness.