Obesity is caused by too much sugar not ingesting fat!

Replies

• invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Yet another study posted as a fact. Obesity is caused by eating more than your body needs. End. when I was first losing I was eating 100g sugar a day on average, and it hindered me to a degree of zero.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Hmm what could also be a motive for presenting yourself as an authority on health, bagging a lot of friends, and then (tah dah) selling them shakes and junk?

Seems to me there is a lot of that not so quietly happening on MFP. Just look at the blue faced avatar guy who was spamming every newbie intro post with "advice" followed by "friend me" and guess what? Check the profile and he is hawking stuff.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    To say you NEED 60% carbs is CRAZY!! If you are already overweight this is WAY too high. As a matter of fact, you should probably cut carbs all the way out and use your proteins and natural sugars and fats as your source of energy (this diet from my doc and has worked for me) but to tell someone who is obese to up their carbs to 60% of their diet is OUT OF CONTROL! Please clarify this for people that are going to read into this more than they should!

I, myself, an Hypoglycemic and the 60% carbs is NOT cool for me. I agree with needing some complex carbs in the diet but, to have 60% of them causes my levels to remain all over the place all day. I even have to watch eating a piece of fruit because it can throw my levels all crazy so I cant usually eat it alone...I need to eat it with other things. Being Hypoglycemic, I have to watch my intake of sugar/carbs so as to not throw my levels into craziness and causes an extreme LOW which almost makes me sick.

But, I agree with other posters that each person is different. This all may be true for one person but not for another person. All of our bodies work differently, in every aspect. Thanks for the information and what else to keep an eye on. I just dont agree, FOR ME, with the 60% carbs.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    You really know your facts. Have you ever heard of "brittle diabetes" ?
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    My obesity was caused by just plain eating too much -- not solely because of sugar (I still eat sugar and I've lost weight), not because I ate too much fat (I still have fat in my diet), not because of soda, or ice cream or whatever.. It was because I ate more calories than I burned.

I still eat the things I enjoy but I eat them in smaller portions and yes, this includes *gasp* SUGAR! I don't do well on a low carb/high protein diet and have been told by my doctor that I need to be careful with too much protein as I have a history of some kidney issues.

It is like I ALWAYS say - to each their own. Do what works for you, but PLEASE.. stop telling me why *I* was fat. I KNOW why I was fat. And please.. stop trying to convince me that YOUR way of doing things is the ONLY way, the BEST way and everything else is wrong.

PRECISELY! Finally, someone who truly gets it! :drinker:

YELP...to each their own!! :)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    I Suffer from PCOS, and been told carbs are not good for because of it, what have you heard regarding woman struggling to lose weight with PCOS?

When the OP says 60% carbs, it was a reference to fruits, veggies, and whole grains (complex carbs), not white breads and pastas and sugary foods (simple carbs). I've been dealing with PCOS since I was 16 years old. In the last year or so, I've lost 50lbs, and, guess what, I still eat carbs! With a few minor exceptions, I don't eat anything out of a box, bag, or can. The exceptions are whole grain breads (at least 5g of fiber per serving), whole grain pasta, low sodium tuna, no sodium added tomatoes, dry beans, and in the winter, frozen veggies (not the ones with sauces and such, just the plain veggies). I try to stick to 1200-1500cals/day. I try to burn at least 500cals per workout, and I workout EVERY day except Sunday (my "rest" day). I was medicated for insulin resistance a few months ago (Metformin), but I lost most of my weight before being medicated. It is possible for women with PCOS to eat carbs and lose weight. Most of my carbs come from fruits and veggies, but I do eat dairy and whole grains in moderation. Oh, and I try to stay away from white potatoes as well, since they are mostly starch and have very little nutritional value for someone with PCOS. Our bodies produce enough insulin, but our cells are not receiving enough to transport the sugar where it needs to go so that we can burn it as energy. Something is blocking the insulin from entering the cellls. Therefore, we do have to be very careful about what kind of carbs we are putting in our bodies. This is why Metformin has helped so many women with PCOS to lose weight. It helps our bodies process the sugar the way it is supposed to on its own.
  • bump
  • cathomer
    cathomer Posts: 88
    It's caused by eating too many calories, sugar has loads of calories, you can a heck of a lot more sugar than you can fat. It's so bad for you, and so easy to eat lots of it. If you stay within your calories you'd hardly eat anything if it was all sugar, but if it was all fat, you'd be able to eat a bit more. Not that either of those would be wise.
    I made some cupcakes today, put the recipe in here and there's 256 calories in just one of the little things!!!
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    "If not enough carbohydrate is consumed it can lead to low sugar in the extracellular fluid(hypoglycemia), so there's not enough to put in the cells for energy."

Well, the liver can make glucose - - - it's called gluconeogenesis and it's the body's protection against hypoglycemia. Unless someone is on medication to lower the blood sugar, true hypoglycemia is rare.

I had a boyfriend once who didn't have diabetes, and everytime he'd go to the doctors office his glucose would be in the 60s. It was because he was trying to lose weight and not consuming enough calories.

Normal fasting blood sugar is 60 - 110.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    My obesity was caused by just plain eating too much -- not solely because of sugar (I still eat sugar and I've lost weight), not because I ate too much fat (I still have fat in my diet), not because of soda, or ice cream or whatever.. It was because I ate more calories than I burned.

^ Thank you for getting it. Now please help me convince everyone else.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member

^ Thank you for getting it. Now please help me convince everyone else.

YES!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8COKcFB7g3w
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Great information; however, the title is incorrect. Obesity is caused, in most cases, by CHOICE. Of what the foods you eat, and activity levels.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Oh...it's that chick again *moving on*
  • My obesity was caused by just plain eating too much -- not solely because of sugar (I still eat sugar and I've lost weight), not because I ate too much fat (I still have fat in my diet), not because of soda, or ice cream or whatever.. It was because I ate more calories than I burned.

I still eat the things I enjoy but I eat them in smaller portions and yes, this includes *gasp* SUGAR! I don't do well on a low carb/high protein diet and have been told by my doctor that I need to be careful with too much protein as I have a history of some kidney issues.

It is like I ALWAYS say - to each their own. Do what works for you, but PLEASE.. stop telling me why *I* was fat. I KNOW why I was fat. And please.. stop trying to convince me that YOUR way of doing things is the ONLY way, the BEST way and everything else is wrong.

Yes, you consumed too much, but WHY? Did you set out to be fat? Of course not. Did I? No.

Why, when you saw you were getting bigger why did you not just adjust back? I didn't either.

What if specific things that you consumed had a fundamental effect on how your body dealt with them? Not just 'too much of everything'.

What if those specific things are also the key to returning to a healthy weight? Not just 'eating less and exercising more'.

What if it isn't just about energy?

How does creating a xxxxx calorie deficit help optimum weight loss if your body does not want to burn fat? It doesn't.

We should sort the metabolism out first then worry about any kind of fairyland 3500 calorie/1lb of fat fantasy (which will not work consistantly even with a fully working metabolism).

Focussing on calories as the be all and end all is doing ourselves a disservice and just creating false hope for long term weight management.

And there is another wall of text, sorry short attention span people :)

Guess what, according to MFP I should be getting fatter. A calorie is not a calorie people.. not for some of us anyway. I regularly eat between 1700 and 2200 calories (according to MFP) but I am losing weight.... Why? Because my carbs are restricted (note I said restricted not cut out) to 39 per day. Am I a 6' strapping, active athlete? No, I'm a short, moderately active 50yr old menopausal woman! So if a calorie's a calorie how does that work?
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member

Yes, you consumed too much, but WHY? Did you set out to be fat? Of course not. Did I? No.

Why, when you saw you were getting bigger why did you not just adjust back? I didn't either.

What if specific things that you consumed had a fundamental effect on how your body dealt with them? Not just 'too much of everything'.

What if those specific things are also the key to returning to a healthy weight? Not just 'eating less and exercising more'.

How does creating a xxxxx calorie deficit help optimum weight loss if your body does not want to burn fat? It doesn't.

We should sort the metabolism out first then worry about any kind of fairyland 3500 calorie/1lb of fat fantasy (which will not work consistantly even with a fully working metabolism).

Focussing on calories as the be all and end all is doing ourselves a disservice and just creating false hope for long term weight management.

Guess what, according to MFP I should be getting fatter. A calorie is not a calorie people.. not for some of us anyway. I regularly eat between 1700 and 2200 calories (according to MFP) but I am losing weight.... Why? Because my carbs are restricted (note I said restricted not cut out) to 39 per day. Am I a 6' strapping, active athlete? No, I'm a short, moderately active 50yr old menopausal woman! So if a calorie's a calorie how does that work?

Also, if it's all about calories in/calories out, please explain "plateaus" to me. I don't mean the kind of plateau that comes from people not being honest about what they are really eating. I mean the kind of plateau that happens when you are still doing the exact same things you were doing in the beginning, still creating a daily calorie deficit, but your body stops losing weight. If it's just calories in/calories out, you should never hit a plateau. Yes, the eat less burn more approach is a big part of weight loss, but, I'm sorry, I just think consistent, long term weight loss is far more complicated for some people. Particularly those who have more than 50lbs to lose. You can quote all the studies and research and medical "facts" you want, the truth is, smart as these researchers and medical professionals are, sometimes they get it wrong. That's why the health and fitness and medical communities are always changing.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

And I eat close to 2500+ NET calories a day. My carbs are usually in the 300-350g range. My sugar is right around 100g a day.

I am a 5'4", 36 year old woman.

The point to the post is not everyone's body NEEDS the same things. You have to figure out what works best for YOU. When I restrict carbs, I don't feel well. I get sluggish and don't want to do anything. I did low carb "diets" more than once and always felt like crap and gained weight. Should I get on the forums and spout off how low carb is the WORST diet out there? Nope. It didn't work for ME, I moved on to something that did.

A calorie is a calorie for ME
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member

Also, if it's all about calories in/calories out, please explain "plateaus" to me. I don't mean the kind of plateau that comes from people not being honest about what they are really eating. I mean the kind of plateau that happens when you are still doing the exact same things you were doing in the beginning, still creating a daily calorie deficit, but your body stops losing weight. If it's just calories in/calories out, you should never hit a plateau. Yes, the eat less burn more approach is a big part of weight loss, but, I'm sorry, I just think consistent, long term weight loss is far more complicated for some people. Particularly those who have more than 50lbs to lose. You can quote all the studies and research and medical "facts" you want, the truth is, smart as these researchers and medical professionals are, sometimes they get it wrong. That's why the health and fitness and medical communities are always changing.

I've lost over 50lbs. I've kept it off for nearly 2 years. I don't pay much attention to what studies say or this article or whatever. I did a lot of research at first, but I freely admit.. I threw a lot of it away. A lot of stuff out there is useless. That being said, a lot of us make weight loss far more complicated than it needs to be too.

Plateaus happen because the body becomes more efficient. It adapts to the changes you've made and it begins to function in a more efficient manner. When that happens, you have to figure out what it wants in order to get things going again. For me, because I went from barely active to VERY active - I upped my calories and I lost weight again. I wasn't eating enough to fuel the workouts (and my job).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Also, if it's all about calories in/calories out, please explain "plateaus" to me. I don't mean the kind of plateau that comes from people not being honest about what they are really eating. I mean the kind of plateau that happens when you are still doing the exact same things you were doing in the beginning, still creating a daily calorie deficit, but your body stops losing weight. If it's just calories in/calories out, you should never hit a plateau.
    "Adaptive thermogenesis" is your search phrase for today.

If you set out with an initial deficit of 500 calories it is reduced within a couple of days by your BMR reducing, thermic effect of food reducing (you're eating less), potential reduction in random physical activity (you have less spare fuel to play with) etc etc. So your 500 might be 400 or less by the end of the week.

As you lose weight and a bit of fat free mass your BMR comes down accordingly, further reducing the deficit. This is the "non linearity of weight loss" you read about. You lose weight at a deficit, the BMR comes down, the deficit is smaller, the rate of loss is smaller, etc.

In the rare cases where scientists take a stall seriously (rather than kicking you off the trial for non-compliance and being a secret eater) the energy balance still holds true but several of the components have changed.

Never forget that the BMR you use to set your deficit only catches 70% of people within +/- 10% of the prediction - if you're at the wrong end you may have very little deficit at all by week 2.

That's why a lot of studies are done at 800 cals/day etc. They usually guarantee an ongoing rate of loss at that.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Can't believe how many people are believing this stuff they are pushing to the public! Seriously! I am just going to re-post what I posted yesterday. Wish people would stop spreading around things like the sugar or whatever made me fat. Its all about how much you eat.

If you guys looked at my diet you would crap your pants at the amount of candy bars and ice cream I consume in a week/day. Its calories in and calories out not sugar or carbs or protein, seriously stop posting lies. Think I am on twix bar #6, little debbie #5 for this last week and I stopped counting how many cookies I ingested or ice cream because I ran out of fingers and toes to count them on (typing as I finish my chocolate chip mint ice cream). Oww I also ate 5 chocolate chip cookies Sunday not including the 4 snickerdoodles I ingested! Oh and donuts... had 2 of those last Thursday & Friday and yesterday and today and taco bell and wendy's owww and 4 strawberry shortcakes. Mmm. The only thing healthy I ate today was the sausage that I dripped in cheese and syrup and shoved in between two pieces of white processed bread. The hot dog for dinner wasn't very "healthy" either neither were the sour cream and onion chips. I'm at 16.3% body fat as of today from 25% after birth. I normally am around 18-20%. Going for 15% maybe 14%... we will see....

12543920_9539.jpg

12543920_6796.jpg

12543920_1368.jpg

Its the deficit people and its about how your body responds to certain things and how they make you feel! So stop posting stuff that isn't true. If it works for your great but it is because you are in a deficit. It derails the newbies who then go on this kick thinking its not how much you eat but what then they are messaging me all freaked out because its been 3 months and they haven't lost anything and their wedding is in 90 days! Nock off the crap will yah!
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member

I've lost over 50lbs. I've kept it off for nearly 2 years. I don't pay much attention to what studies say or this article or whatever. I did a lot of research at first, but I freely admit.. I threw a lot of it away. A lot of stuff out there is useless. That being said, a lot of us make weight loss far more complicated than it needs to be too.

Plateaus happen because the body becomes more efficient. It adapts to the changes you've made and it begins to function in a more efficient manner. When that happens, you have to figure out what it wants in order to get things going again. For me, because I went from barely active to VERY active - I upped my calories and I lost weight again. I wasn't eating enough to fuel the workouts (and my job).

Your on a deficit that is why it is working.... Its not what you eat but your calories. And you are right people do overcomplicate things like you are now.