Is Paleo the Answer?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's just the latest diet trend, after low-fat, low-carb, now it's "primal" or "paleo," follow "Grok". :laugh:

I don't know where you've been for the last 20 years but it's hardly "the latest trend". Paleo simply pulls together simple principles that have been known for decades... that "white" foods are hugely caloric, that too much sugar isn't good for you, that your body needs lean protein & good fats, that hydrogynated fats are crap etc. Exactly what of that comes as such a huge revelation??

Legumes being poisonous would be a huge revelation. If it were true.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's just the latest diet trend, after low-fat, low-carb, now it's "primal" or "paleo," follow "Grok". :laugh:

I don't know where you've been for the last 20 years but it's hardly "the latest trend". Paleo simply pulls together simple principles that have been known for decades... that "white" foods are hugely caloric, that too much sugar isn't good for you, that your body needs lean protein & good fats, that hydrogynated fats are crap etc. Exactly what of that comes as such a huge revelation??

Paleo takes it too far and eliminates grains, legumes, and dairy as entire food groups. The other three pieces of advice are as clear as your poor attempts to censor yourself... *****.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Legumes being poisonous would be a huge revelation. If it were true.

I don't know if they're poisonous or not...

...but I do know that the more I eat 'em...

...the more I toot.
  • Anon4678
    Anon4678 Posts: 37
    Options
    On this forum you will always have two camps of eaters, those who think clean eating matters and those who think that as long as you stay under your calorie limit, any **** goes.

So you see, paleo is the one and only true answer, and anyone who disagrees eats "stars". (Or Shlt, depending on if you can read asterix.)

I need to get my asterisk to English translation skills up to par!
  • marinweb
    marinweb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    On this forum you will always have two camps of eaters, those who think clean eating matters and those who think that as long as you stay under your calorie limit, any **** goes.

So you see, paleo is the one and only true answer, and anyone who disagrees eats "stars". (Or Shlt, depending on if you can read asterix.)

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

No qualms with Paleo, but it's not the answer. If it wanted to be truly authentic it should have you hunting down zebras,lions, and hyenas.....and maybe that fat cousin you don't like so much.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Nerp.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    my qualms are with paleo's followers. They are more zealous than they need to be. They should go find some doors to knock on, or something.
  • InfinitePoss
    InfinitePoss Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, and some humor;-)

Unlike some, I don't view any particulary diet or exercise plan as a religion I am just lookiing for what works.

I have had some pretty solid success in losing weight and putting on muscle since I started this journey four months ago but I am looking for ways to up my level of over all health and really getting the body composition I desire and I just tthought Paleo, which I guess has a broad definition, might be one way to do that.

The other thing that keeps hitting me is that there is a difference between "eating to live and living to eat:", as people always say.

I know that much of what I eat, even while counting calories, is based on emotion and not based on what is the best fuel to put in my tank. If that maks sense.
  • trey4cubs
    Options
    i'm not going to go super-deep into this but in my own anecdotal experience on the paleo diet the weight literally fell off. Not only that but my acne is nearly gone, and my hunger sensation isn't as distorted. I end up right around the right amount of calories with out trying to "diet."
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I should, but I'll never cease to be amazed at how the most innocuous, well-intended questions can turn into such entertaining threads. Makes good lunch time reading.

For the OP...I'd agree with what some of the others have said here in that you don't have to go full paleo if you concern is mainly reducing the processed foods in your diet. Just try swapping them out for more natural options.

But if you want to try paleo, do. It's not a miracle diet, but it's possible it's a good match for you.

Best of luck, whatever you choose.
  • CatMarlett
    CatMarlett Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yes, low carb, high fat and protien is the answer. I do eat diary (full fat, check the carb and sugar count), not part of paleo but I stay the heck away from the processed stuff. It works. I feel better, my blood work is improving... the only down side is that you have to "hunt" for the right foods to eat (especially when going out with friends and relatives). You can eat healthy if you really want to. Salads (no croutons and fake toppings), grilled meats, nuts, any fruit ending in "berry" as a dessert. Its hard but it works.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I think Paleo is the answer for people who are predisposed to gaining weight more easily in general. If you have people with insulin resistance, diabetes, or other hormonal disorders in your family thats often a sign. Carbs matter for some people more than others, but processed food isnt good for anyone. The difference between Paleo and just clean eating is grains. If you feel good when you eat sprouted whole grain bread, brown rice, or oats. Keep eating those things, but if they make you feel tired or keep the scale from moving, dump them. Basically its worth a shot, but some people see better results than others.

Processed foods like cheetos, corn flakes, special K bars, are not good for anyone whether following a paleo lifestyle or not though. You dont have to go Paleo to go unprocessed.
  • dinkydudette
    Options
    I tried paleo for a day...until I realised it took me 8 hours to plan one meal and I couldn't buy the ingredients at normal stores.
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    Not going to lie, I didn't read all of the responses that you've gotten.

My personal opinion? Paleo/Primal is a godsend for me since I'm a diabetic. When I'm able to follow it (I have a dooming MIL so it's not always possible) I feel amazing. And it's not really much a matter of "following" anything.... I just follow my dad's rule when I can. "If you can't pick it or kill it, don't eat it. And make sure you can lift something heavier than you." Which also might be why he's built like a brick *kitten* house :laugh:
  • nwebb822_cancel
    nwebb822_cancel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sure, if your goal is to ramp up your cholesterol and improve your odds of developing heart disease, kidney dsease, cancer, stroke and osteoporosis.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    While I see nothing wrong with Paleo, I don't think you need it to lose weight if you have any aversion to following it...I would just cut out processed food and stick to healthy fats, lean protein, and complex carbs :)
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I tried paleo for a day...until I realised it took me 8 hours to plan one meal and I couldn't buy the ingredients at normal stores.

They don't have meat & veg in "normal stores"?? :huh:
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I like Paleo. It's not a weight loss solution though, it's good for your health from most points of view, calories in calories out will always be your friend though.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Huh? All Paleo advocates is eating protein, fruit, veggies, and healthy fats, why would it take you 8 hours to plan?
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

really? Its not that hard to get a free-range steak and serve with some veggies...come on now!