Is running the best exercise?

Replies

• KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Invite your manager to do a kettlebell workout & see what he or she says after that. As others have said, the best exercise is the one that you enjoy doing consistently & with good effort because ultimately, you'll stick with it.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Do whatever exercise you choose to! Running is a great exercise but is not for everyone. If you can burn 500 calories playing "pickup sticks"... and it keeps you entertained and coming back for more... Just Do It!

There is no perfect exercise that fits everyone. We are all different. The only exercise that is perfect for you is the one you will KEEP doing (...which should be running! LOL! :laugh: )

Ignore your boss and keep exercising in a way that makes you happy!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    I've just started the C25k programme which you can get through google, it is really gradual and you can always redo weeks rather than move on if needs be. So many of my friends on here run and have fantastic weightlosses; I walk and go on my exercise bike and my loss is soooooo slow, hence why I've turned to the running. Just go slowly and listen to your body. Good luck! x
  • js425
    js425 Posts: 1
    Hi there!

This is my first post on this website, and I thought I was going to use it only as a food diary.

I've trained as part of a rowing (crew) squad for the past 4 years, so am drawing on that experience. May I first say, along with others I see on this thread, that your manager is full of BS. Fitness has very little to do with stitches, far more how recently before exercise you ate, how much water you have consumed throughout the day etc. Don't panic. The comments on breathing technique are very accurate. Practice before your run completely filling your lungs, holding that breath and then forcefully emptying them, repeat for five times. You will probably feel light headed, don't start running at this stage!!

Your original question was regarding running. Now the amount of crossfit we had to do for crew was extortionate, and before long our coach had to remove us from the running programme because so many of the boys were injuring themselves. Running is great up until a point where you're doing so many miles that your technique begins to have negative effects on your body. It is HIGH impact, and this has complications when particular muscles aren't aligned correctly, or some are weaker than others. I would highly recommend going to a running/sports shop near you and having your running technique analysed... perhaps researching online if there is somewhere you can do it in your vicinity, I don't want you to have wasted a trip!

Failing this, don't panic, there is a sure fire way to work out if your running technique is damaging you: if it hurts and you can't stretch it, stop. People so often persevere through uncomfortable workouts that only lead them to permanent damage, resulting in an almost complete inability to exercise at all.

Your kettle bell training is superb. This is an excellent cardio/strength crossover, and that can be recommended for anyone. The only thing I an suggest with that is if you feel you have reached a plateau, maybe increase the weight a little bit, don't let your system get used to one weight, mix it up! I would of course, as a rower, recommend the rowing machines at the gym, there are lots of videos demonstrating the correct technique online. Remember: form > pace, start off slow and steady using the correct technique and you'll be fine. Good luck, and don't let AHs like your manager get you down.
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    The best exercise is the one you do and enjoy doing or at least have the motivation to do.
    If you are not interested in running and it only becomes a frustration or a barrier, how is running good for you?

This. The best exercise is the one you enjoy doing, so the better you get at it the more you want to push your limits. If working out is a chore, chances are you won't stick with it. There are hundreds of sports and activities, take your pick!
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    The exercise you like and will do is the only *best* exercise.

I freaking hate running and if I had to run to be fit I would just decide to be fat thankyouverymuch ;).
  • hothodgie
    hothodgie Posts: 258 Member
    The best exercise is the one you are willing to do and love to do. Running is a great option. So is weight lifting, zumba, walking, biking, cardio. Pick one, pick ten. It doesn't matter as long as it is working for you. Keep up the great progress!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Whatever exercise you like and will do long term is the best one. I love running, but it's not for everyone. If it was, runner's wouldn't be a clique, we would be the majority.

My advice is to not talk to people about your weight loss unless you are prepared to ignore unsolicited "advice". Opinions are like *kitten*....and everyone seems to be an expert on proper weight loss techniques, despite the fact that most of the population is overweight.
  • I lost 75lbs last year and the only exercise I did was walking.
  • I was doing exactly what you are doing - run, pain, walk, run again..... it's a phase.
    You go through it, build your stamina and the run length increases.
    My advice to you: walk as fast as you can, run as slow as you can.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Running really helped me shift those stubborn pounds when I hit a plateau...but all exercise is good exercise.

Whatever you do is beneficial to your body, health and weight loss. :flowerforyou:
  • I used to get winded and have to stop after 1/4 mile running.

This morning I ran 5 miles

Running is all about mental toughness. Nothing wrong with going slow to start. As you have little "wins", watch, you'll crave more.

Couch to 5K got me started, it's so easy and such a painless way to get started.
  • Fit2morrow
    Fit2morrow Posts: 48 Member
    The benefits of low level aerobic work (walking, hiking, cycling, swimming):
    - increases capillary network (blood vessels that supply the muscle cells with fuel and oxygen)
    - increases muscle mitochondria
    - increases production of fat-burning and fat-transporting enzymes
    - more fun, because you can talk with a partner while doing it

The benefits of interval training (sprinting in short intense bursts)
    - increases muscle fiber strength
    - increases aerobic capacity (work ability)
    - increases muscle mitochondria (the main energy production center in muscle)
    - increases insulin sensitivity
    - increases natural growth hormone production

The costs of chronic (repetitious) mid- and high-level aerobic work
    - requires large amounts of dietary carbohydrates (SUGAR)
    - decreases efficient fat metabolism
    - increases stress hormone cortisol
    - increases systemic inflammation
    - increases oxidative damage (free radical production)
    - boring!
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    I was having a conversation with my manager at work yesterday about fitness and i told her about my weight loss and that i did aerobics and kettlebells. I also walk alot every week. I told her that i wanted to try running, but that i get stitch even if i do it steady, like ill walk for abit, then jog, then walk. I cant seem to stop it from happening. She just went on to say that i was unfit (i know that) she also said that running is the best exercise for loosing alot of weight. She said the exercise i was doing was no good at all. Felt abit fed up as i exercise 5 days a week, and i think im doing quite well. I can tell my fitness levels are up as i can push myself more. Can anyone suggest a good way of getting better at running as i must be doing something wrong xx

Can I punch her in the nose? Running isn't the best. Because for some of us, it's too high impact. If you want something that gives you the push of running, but is easier on the joints and on helping with that stitch in your side try the elliptical. I can get up to running/jogging speeds on that without causing myself more pain. Any exercise is also better than NO exercise and walking is just fine. Kettlebells are GREAT and any weights added if done correctly are going to help you more than all the cardio in the world. I can't run. I tore my ACL 3 years ago and it didn't heal correctly. It's still in tons of pain. The orthopedist loves the elliptical for me. He recommends the bike too, but I find it boring. I suggest telling her to stuff it. Everyone thinks they know the best way. My way might not be the best, but it's working for me and causing me LESS chance of an injury. Some people can run, some can't. Or shouldn't. I'm in the shouldn't. It's high impact.
    Whatever you do is beneficial to your body, health and weight loss.

^^^^ This.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    i am with you guys, as far as there not being any right or wrong exercise. do whatever exercise you like, and that feels good to do. i have tried different cardio workouts before, and if i didn't like it then i don't bother. i too get stitches from time to time, even when i ran competitive cross county in hs and college. your manager doesn't know what they are talking about, keep on doing what you do and best of luck to you! i'm sure you are doing great with your health and weightloss, keep up the great work!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    The most complete exercises are swimming, motocross and hockey. They use all the body muscles and provide a good aerobic workout.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Running is a great exercise, but it really shouldn't be your only exercise. I started out just walking, and lost 63 pounds. Then I started running and lost 47 pounds more. THEN I added weight lifting and barely lost any weight, but I have lost more INCHES.

If your goal is only to lose weight, then sure running is good (as is pose walking). But if you want to tone up and lose inches (and let's face it, I'll take inches lost over the scale saying I've lost anything), then you need to mix it up and add some weights.
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    There are fat runners out there. Lots, in fact. :-)

As for the stitch in your side, I would suggest reducing your speed and/or limiting the amount that you eat and drink before you run. My best runs are in the morning usually on a tea with a few tsps of milk. If I'm tackling more than 10 km, I'll probably eat some cottage cheese and ensure that I drank a lot of water the night before.
  • coxy96
    coxy96 Posts: 7
    she is probably just jealous of u any exercise is good for u
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    I honestly could run for forever and I don't notice any weight loss. I hate when people say running is the only way to lose weight, because its not, at least not for every person. I notice most of my weight loss come from interval training and swimming for me. I actually kind of hate running, I'm currently trying to force myself to like it, but I would honestly much rather get in a pool and swim laps instead of go for a run.

So essentially, I disagree, no exercise is the "wrong" exercise, do what works for you and what you enjoy.