Would you be brutally honest to a friend??

Options
1235»

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If my friends dresses like a .... day walker, I will tell her just that! I don't care if it hurts her feelings it's the truth and that's that. If they're trying to look like that then they wont care. If it's an accident they'll thank you for not lettting them leave the house in a leather mini and a boob tube!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Damn skippy I would.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Depends.. where we still at her house and she would be able to change it and feel good? If we were at her house and she asked, I would just tell her I wasn't a fan of the outfit. However, if we were already out in public and she couldn't do anything about it I would hold back.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions! I'm actually on the other end of this & was just curious what everyone else thought. I DID NOT ask for an opinion but was simply contemplating which bathing suit I should wear to my bf's family gathering. It's a "pool party" so there's only so many options...not trying to wear a diving suit. My BEST friend stated "not trying to be mean so please don't take it the wrong way, but I wouldn't wear your 2 pc around his family." Since I know her, I know that if I was an acceptable weight in her eyes, there would be no question about wearing my 2 pc ...BUT she also knows that I'm very self conscious...so maybe she really was just looking out for me.

As far as the "brutal" truth...I just said that bc really...sometimes THE TRUTH HURTS...as in...maybe I don't look so HOT in my bikini... I wasn't fishing for a compliment, but I wasn't really expecting what she said either.

Regardless, now that I've thought about and discussed this, I don't even want to wear a tankini or a one piece. I think I may just avoid pools til next summer. lol. Thanks all!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I would rather be honest and have a lot respect for my friend and no need to lie or hide the truth from anyone. It is the best policy with everyone!!
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Guys have an easier time with this... we can just say "Dude, you look stupid. Change now".
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Honest, yes, 'brutally honest', no. If I am asked for an opinion, I will give it, but there is no reason to not use some tact.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Definitely is different with men! haha...

I was recently invited to my bf's family's house to go swimming. I was contemplating on what bathing suit I should wear - as I have a one piece (that I hate) and a 2 pc. One of my friends stated, "not trying to be mean so please don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't wear your 2 pc in front of his family."

I wasn't sure if I should be appreciative of her suggestion - or if I should be offended.

My friend is currently larger than me (I love her regardless) but we have very different views on bodies. She would never wear a 2 pc, unless she was stick thin with no fat.

To answer your question, I would be honest if I was asked. Now of course, your friend said if she were you she wouldn't wear a 2pc suit. Sounds like she has her own body image hang ups but really has nothing to do with your own body. If you are confident in what you wear people will see the confidence.
  • lowpro1983
    Options
    Guys have an easier time with this... we can just say "Dude, you look stupid. Change now".

^^I wish it were this easy with women!^^ stupid feelings and emotions...lol
  • lowpro1983
    Options
    Definitely is different with men! haha...

I was recently invited to my bf's family's house to go swimming. I was contemplating on what bathing suit I should wear - as I have a one piece (that I hate) and a 2 pc. One of my friends stated, "not trying to be mean so please don't take this the wrong way, but I wouldn't wear your 2 pc in front of his family."

I wasn't sure if I should be appreciative of her suggestion - or if I should be offended.

My friend is currently larger than me (I love her regardless) but we have very different views on bodies. She would never wear a 2 pc, unless she was stick thin with no fat.

To answer your question, I would be honest if I was asked. Now of course, your friend said if she were you she wouldn't wear a 2pc suit. Sounds like she has her own body image hang ups but really has nothing to do with your own body. If you are confident in what you wear people will see the confidence.

Agreed. She has said before that "she will never be small enough or happy enough with her body to wear a bikini." Yes, a toned muscular body is sexy, but so is confidence!
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If the friend asked for my opinion I would give it (tell the truth in love), but if it was not asked for I would not give it unless there was a malfunction or something. I think we know what we look like, really if we are honest with ourselves.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I don't give my opinion unless asked and usually my facial expression gives me away first lol
    If I don't like it ...whatever IT may be...I scrunch up my nose a lil bit, tighten my lips and you get an "ummmm....well...." usually I don't have to say anything more at that point....hahahah Just offer a suggestion for something else ;)

This is the same thing I do!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say "you look fat". I would say it wasn't a flattering outfit.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    IF they're already wearing it, no.

IF they're trying it on at home or at the mall, then I might say something, like, "It's not my style."
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I sure hope that my friends are honest with me.

If asked, yes, I do tell, but I try to be tactful. If someone said, "does this make me look fat" I would say "it is tight in this area" and let them know specifically what I see. If they didn't ask, then I wouldn't say anything, unless they looked REALLY bad and then I might say something along the lines of "what about this other outfit... I like it a lot and would rather see you in it."

If I'm contemplating what to wear, I would want my BFF to tell me what her opinion is.