Almond milk vs. Soy Milk vs. Rice Milk...

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I use Soy for all of my regular drinking (which isn't much) because it's the only one with protein in it. Rice milk is pure carbs and almond/coconut milk is basically pure fat. I use almond and coconut for cooking.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love the vanilla Almond milk. I have high cholesterol so I eat a bowl of multi-grain Cheerios every morning and with the Almond Milk, I get the taste of Honey Nut Cheerios without all the added sugar. YUM YUM
  • argenterie
    argenterie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use real 2% cow's milk in recipes, and for cooking usually.

But if I'm having cereal, or baking something that's already sweet, I ADORE / LOVE Almond Breeze unsweetened Vanilla or Original flavor. They have only 40 calories! Half what's in regular milk! And they taste creamy and yummy. But they are a little "thin". And, they make cheesy food (like if you're making a rice & sauce packet) taste weird, so I have to use regular milk for that.

I don't really like soy milk as it has a lot of calories.

I haven't tried rice milk!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's Almond milk unsweetened vanilla - 45 calories/cup in my cereal. Not a milk drinker
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I like to enjoy a nice glass of Silk Vanilla Soy Milk :]

Part of me wants to switch to almond milk but it's just too sweet for me.
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use Soy for all of my regular drinking (which isn't much) because it's the only one with protein in it. Rice milk is pure carbs and almond/coconut milk is basically pure fat. I use almond and coconut for cooking.

I just went back to my diary and for a half a cup of almond milk, it shows only on gram of fat. If thats the case, how can it be "basically pure fat"?
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I really like the SO Delicious ones......I can't tell the difference between Almond and Coconut milk.

Taste wise I prefer Silk, but soy is a no no for my thyroid.

I LOVE THE SO Delicious almond with added protein for my shakes in the am and I use Vegan Shakeology because I am allergic to cows milk
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I can't drink regular milk (which is a tragedy for me, as I love it to bits) but I'm LOVING Almond milk. I find it hard to find the unsweetened stuff so when I do I buy a lot! I like vanilla in my coffee and smoothies, and plain when I just want a glass of milk.

I try to not eat too much soy (for the reasons others have stated). I tried Ryza rice milk and didn't really like it, it separated too easily. I'm going to try coconut milk next. There's also oat milk! So many options out there.

I haven't tried cooking with any of these yet, but small amounts of dairy in things doesn't seem to affect me too much.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I tend to get almond milk, but I also rotate in soy, rice, and hemp milk, just for variety's sake. I'd say I drink almond milk 80% of the time, because I like that best. I use vanilla for smoothies and dessert things, and plain for regular cooking.
  • SurrenderToNothing
    Options
    Almond milk! So smooth and beautiful.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree about real milk tasting yummy. The problem is that real milk is now pasteurized and doesn't really taste like real milk. I miss having milk from the cow at my Grandfather's farm. It was totally different from the stuff that's overheated at the stores and tastes different.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am LOVING almond milk.

Regular milk REALLY grosses me out due to what I know is allowed to be in it, so drinking it gives me the creeps.
    So I love that it has all the milk benefits and it's healthy!

I use it in my shakes and in my cereal.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hazelnut milk is very nice.

I ordered Alpro Almond milk (very nice) in a delivery from Tesco and they substituted it for Alpro Hazelnut as they didn't have it in stock - it's fantastic!! Almost chocolately and just as low cal as almond. yum
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Just recently started drinking Silk Soy Light and i'm loving it. It makes my protein shakes so much better and it has less calories than skim milk
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to completely cut out dairy and replaced it with Rice Dream original milk....... I actually prefer the taste, I find it really creamy and tasty :D

Definitely recommend.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    pass on soy milk, it's processed and not actually a health food, just a milk alternative. also has that fun side effect of having phytoestrogen that can mess with growing boys when consumed regularly. yuck.
  • juddrnaut
    juddrnaut Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I go with soy milk because it has more protein. The unweetened kind is closer in the lower calories of some almond and rice milk. And I find the taste varies depending on the brand. I hate Silk except for chocolate, big fan of the SoGood Original, also the President's Choice original/unsweetened.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk. I chose unsweetened to cut back on sugar.

The taste by itself is rather bland. However, it is awesome for oatmeal, shakes, smoothies, and baking. Ovaltine is great, too, if you need a sweet chocolate treat.
  • stepise
    Options
    im hooked on alpro almond milk too!!
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk every single day. I get two kinds....the vanilla unsweetened and the regular to cook stuff with.