Replies

• PamelaHoneyHuggy
    PamelaHoneyHuggy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So Happy For you!:flowerforyou:
  • jackiebo
    jackiebo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    OK, here I am, have been lurking for awhile and decided to chime in. I've lost 20 pounds AGAIN, plus or minus a few, and really really need to keep it off this time, it's just miserable when I'm feeling fat and clothes don't fit and I feel and move like a slug. Big ol' slimy slug.

Anyhow, my goals for Aug. are borrowed from someone else on here, no alcohol Mon-Thursday. I figure that I can do that. Summertime is a great time for sitting out on the deck in front of a fire, and having some wine. Trouble is, I have problems having only one glass, so it's time to start changing that.

I'm 61, live in NW Oregon and love it here (most of the time). Summer's glorious and makes the dreary springtime worthwhile. I love my dear husband, 2 Labs, my country home, my chickens and garden. I'm a retired school nurse and now do foot care for seniors part time and love that. Have played piano forever and love music, and am taking guitar lessons. Maybe by the time I'm 90 I'll be good at it haha We have an '84 VW Westfalia camper that we like to just take off and go.

Take care, ladies!

Jackie
  • PamelaHoneyHuggy
    PamelaHoneyHuggy Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!

My Goal for this month is to keep going!

I started Zumba almost 2 weeks ago when my daughter was here visiting. She got me to go to the first class! I was so nervous
    and felt like I would be the oldest and heaviest. I think one more person is older and maybe one as heavy. But!!! I love it! Tabitha knew I would. I love music and I love to dance. So I have made it to every one since then!
    I also joined the gym! So my goal is to go 5-6 days a week.

So glad you ladies are here to help me!!!!

God bless each one of you!

Pamela:flowerforyou:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Another Sunny Thursday,

Meg- I remember when the boys were in High School and all the papers that I had to fill out, sign and send back with checks...they got to stand in line with it...I miss having my boys at home...it was a fun and busy time:ohwell:

Alwaysnancy- you did a Warrior Dash:noway: I'm impressed. Plus getting your hubby to workout with you sounds like it's a team sport for you two:drinker:

Barbie- completing the rock wall and then you can enjoy it all winter...I'm sure moving those rocks you are getting some impressing muscles in your arms:drinker:

Polly- even for your vacation you are planning ahead to a bike ride with your friend...I'm sure you will do better than you think. For times when you are away from your regular routine if you can plan ahead is key to success...you can do it:flowerforyou:

Michele- your new DVD sounds like fun, listening to the "oldies" takes me back to my youth and plenty of fond memories. Glad that pool is coming along:flowerforyou:

yoyonomore- Hubby and I love history and your canoe trip sounds wonderful:happy: history & exercise who would have thought:huh:

Dart1356-I understand sending your kids off, for me it was sending them off to the military (they all left home in a 6 month period back in 2002, none of them came back, they all married instead of returning home) CU? it's a beautiful campus, our #3 Son is there completing a double Major this year and will graduate in May 2013.

jb- two down and 8 to go YOU CAN DO IT:drinker:

Kat- congrats on the loss:flowerforyou: I know that feeling of looking at the scale and realizing how many years it's been since I've seen that number...it's such a feeling of accomplishment:flowerforyou:

Amanda- so glad to hear that the tube isn't as bad as you thought it'd be for the Olympics. Maybe all those people are on Holiday:huh: leaving plenty of room for all those visitors. Milking cows & goats:huh: I'm such a city girl I've never had the experience.

carol- I'll send you a friend request:flowerforyou:

DeeDee- That is so encouraging when you can get into smaller sizes:drinker: Sometimes it's just a new outfit that keeps us going on this journey.

Donna- I so love Sangria:blushing: and it's so full of all the great tasting naughty things....About once a month I feel the need to indulge in some wine and if where we are happens to have Sangria I jump right in:drinker: then try an follow up the next day wtih a LOT of water:wink:

Kathy- hoping your toe surgery goes well. Have you thought about looking into some chair exercises for during your recovery? That might help keep your upper body strength up while you are on the mend:flowerforyou:

Jackie- Welcome back:flowerforyou: Sounds like you know what to do...so I will say you can do it:drinker:

Colorado is in monsoon season and it really cramps my exercise style. It's usually storming when I get home from work so I have to head to the basement for my workout:grumble: It's okay for the winter but I'd much rather be riding my bike outside during the summer...and spending the day inside at the office is not my idea of how to spend a summer day:angry: Thank goodness the weekends I'm able to get out early in the morning for my bike rides.

I finally have an offer on my Parents home In Oregon....still haggling the price ... they offered me 6,600 less than what I'm asking and that's a LOT when I'm listing it 58,000 less than what my parents paid for it in 2007 and I put 10,000 into it to get it into selling condition:grumble: So i will have to talk with the realtor today and see what to do next, their counter offer isn't much better than their first offer.

:flowerforyou: Welcome to all you newbies, Keep coming back and let us get to know you. This is the best group for all around encouragement.

There are some GREAT goals set for this month. Let's get to it and make this journey a success. Log it, drink it and move it:drinker: We all can become the new and improved women of tomorrow:drinker:

Laura80111:smile:
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    AND, in 20 days, I will be putting my son on an airplane to begin his freshman year @ University of Colorado, Boulder:cry: ..... so, does that mean that my husband and I will finally be empty nesters.??????

My son will be a junior in Boulder this year! I'm convinced that he has way too much fun there, but it is a great school. He is studying integrative physiology, with the goal of getting into dental school.
  • momlady6
    momlady6 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! Please count me I with this wonderful group and challenge!

I am 51 and from Ottawa, Canada. I have a busy family with 4 kids at home and two moved out. I have been sliding up the scale for the last two years. Prior to that I had lost 20-25 pounds doing a raw diet and weight watchers. Gained it all back so I here I go again. This time I am challenging myself to do it the correct way with better food choices and more activity.

My goals are to stay within my1350 to 1500 calorie day. To try not to eat cookies and potato chips!! And to keep up with my boot camp until October 15th (3x a week) plus my walks and bike rides in the evening. My weight loss goal is 1 pound a week for August!
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hi to you all!

I am trying to read daily so I can start to recognize names and stories!

I just found my first entry for August and cut and pasted my goals and put them on my screen saver.

I am going to try really hard, so let's push each other.

Enjoy the day!
    connie
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends! It’s hot and steamy here again today. Officially we had the driest June on record; even worse than during the dust bowl. There is just no end in sight. All the corn has turned brown and has dried up; farmers are grinding it all up together to make hay.

Today is DH’s 60th birthday. We got him a flashing button to wear to work, we are going out to dinner, having cake, and of course presents. We are going to a wonderful steak restaurant and I’m already eyeing the menu. Of course, Friday is tomorrow and we are going out again…date night to an Italian place and then dancing one last time before his foot surgery keeps him off the dance floor for a few months. :love:

Yesterday the dreaded HS orientation took all of 12 minutes! I checked the clock when we walked in and again going out. I was amazed. It was very painless for once! :bigsmile:

Rose: your goals are great! Very do-able! And congrats on meeting your July goals!

Jo: the Butt Bible?!?!?! That sound hilarious but I bet it’s a great DVD.:laugh:

Peanutless: getting up at 6…..ugh. When I am working I get up at 5 and now that I’m off for most of the summer, I can’t make myself get up before 8. The thought of doing it again is awful! :noway: I’ll look to you for inspiration.

Katiebug: congrats on meeting your July goals! WTG!

Janehadji and fastforlife: Welcome!

Alwaysnancy: good job on your race! I’d be scared too!

Barbie: you are so motivated! Your activity level is astonishing. Thanks again for the thread. You are right about this being such a positive place! :flowerforyou:

Polly: you can do the bike ride~! Good job on getting more water in.

Spookyhooch: I agree about the brain sabotage. I used to lose about 8 pounds then go on an eating spree for weeks. :sad: I don’t know why; I know I can control it but felt like I really couldn’t. Glad that’s not going on now!

Michele: hope your foot feels better.

Yoyonomore: your canoe trip sounds fascinating! I love history and that would have been so cool to go the same route while your heard their stories!

Dixie: your goals are wonderful. I hope you can enjoy every possible day with DH. Keep taking care of yourself too and let others support you. Hugs :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

AuntieBK: OMG I did that too…’yay for the poo?” what the heck????? I’m glad someone else misread that too!:blushing:

Linda: nice to see you! Thanks for the support for my subway adventure!

Kat: congrats on your weight loss! The light at the end of the tunnel is bright, isn’t it? :happy:

Amanda: glad you are surviving the Olympics. The grandbabies helped!

Hi Carol: I’ll take a look at your diary and send you an email. Don’t get discouraged!

DeeDee: congrats on “graduating” from 1X! That must feel great! :drinker:

Kathy: I hope your toe surgery goes well and recovery is fast. My DH is having a bunion-ectomy next Thursday. They are cutting out part of his big toe too, but no fusion, so the doc says the recovery won’t be too long; weight bearing right away but in a boot. :flowerforyou:

Newbies: I know I missed a lot of you and want to say welcome and we are glad to have you here. This thread is the best!

Everyone else I missed: Have a great day and sorry I missed you!

Well I need to get a bunch of stuff done for hubby’s birthday bash. Take care everyone. I am just trying to control portions tonight and not eat anything crazy. Tomorrow is my “free day” (now once every 2 weeks instead of once a week) so I won’t count tomorrow. ***evil laugh***:devil:

Take care and drink up! Meg
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Connie- love the idea of putting your goals on your screen-saver!

Just came back from my doctor's. I am (still) up a little from a month ago so I updated my ticker. I kept hoping the weight would just go away, but it hasn't so I will acknowledge it and attack it! My doctor looked at my mfp food journal and we decided to stay away from carbs froms breads, crackers, rice, etc., and processed foods. She thinks the last few stubborn pounds will be defeated by this approach. She has gotten me this far so I'll trust her on this. I have increased my exercise and drink lots of water.

Welcome to all of the new people! You will love the support!
  • Dar1356
    Dar1356 Posts: 15
    Options
    Welcome to all the new ladies!

DAR good to see you back on MFP, you are so busy with your children. You children are going to some really good schools!

Meg- good move to stick with subway.:drinker: :drinker:

Michelle, you are so lucky to be getting a pool. The best exercise for ones joints are in the pool. I saw that one hospital has exercise bike's that they are putting in a pool, for people with joint problems........... I would love to do this, of course that bikes must be really EXPENSIVE! Keep us posted on the progress of the pool. :tongue: :tongue:

Barbie, wow how do you get so many steps in a day? That is a huge amount. Most people strive for just 10,000!:sad: :sad:

petand paws, your have great goals for august. Positive thinking is a good thing.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Jane- glad you have moved- good for you.

LizMil- thanks, 35 days is good for me, my week 6 is when I usually give up on other diets, but I am feeling strong with this new lifestyle change and checking her every day! :drinker: :drinker:

DeeDee, hope all is going well, good goals for August....I need to catch up to you in drinking that much water!:drinker: :drinker:
    i am going to have to check out Leslie Sansone 3 video's!:smile::bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Amanda- How's its going in London? I bet you will be so happy when all the people and activities of the Olympics are over and gone.
    :explode: :explode: :happy: :happy:
    I love watching watching the summer Olympics So nice to see such young and healthy athletes! Well time to get read for bed.

GO USA! :drinker: :drinker: :heart: :heart:

Blessings to all, Welcome to all the new people , keep logging and come back here everyday, just read and you will be so motivated to become a healthier, happy you !:heart:

hugs, Linda, AKA SundanceB:heart::heart: :love: :love: :smile: :smile:
  • Dar1356
    Dar1356 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hey, congrats on your new weight!!!! So, how does it feel to be back as empty nesters??????? Miss you and Bill lots:smile:
  • bclin
    bclin Posts: 10
    Options
    Happy August to all!

I'm new to MFP and am finding it AWESOME! So user friendly to use and the people who are on it are very nice. The stories I have read are inspiring!

For August:
    Exercise at last twice a week
    Log all of my food
    Remove one thing from my life that is keeping me back from peacefulness!
  • janehadji
    Options
    I have fond memories of my one trip to London. I took my daughter for her 19th birthday present, and we had a great time despite getting a bit lost. I loved the atmosphere and the smell of the rain.
  • janehadji
    Options
    I just have to share this with everyone, I had a bit of a break yesterday afternoon so I popped into Stein Mart and tried on a few things, I have gone from wearing a 1x shirt to a size large, woo hoo:happy: :happy: :happy: . All my shirts were just hanging on me and I'm always the one that says "don't wear baggy clothes, they just make you look bigger". I bought 5 new shirts and I'm loving the way I look in them!!!!!:bigsmile: . I'm looking forward to the day I will have to buy mediums!!!!!
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow travelers,

I may have picked a crazy time to start this, family wedding, house guests, a family reunion coming up and my skinny husband's new toy, a deep fryer! Truly though, it was the look in my doctor's eyes when she leveled her gaze at me and said "Lose it and live girl!' ...gulp!

I am 61, arthritic, hypoglycemic and 60 pounds over-weight, with the bulk of my weight on the front side, pressing on my heart and lungs. Turning 50 seemed to start the downward spiral,1 broken foot, 2 broken feet, stabbed by a deer antler in the calf, hip replacement.... the last 10 years have been in wheel chair, on crutches and canes and fairly sedentary. Forceably retired due to ill health, depressed and frustrated, I ate EXTRA. I had always been a fairly healthy eater with fruit, veggies, whole grains and lean meats but in my frustration I would grab handfuls of chocolate chips, eat the left overs from meals, bake more cookies and eat them. auggh!

This past year I was able to go back to work part time and it has done wonders for my outlook on life and my body strength so I think/hope I am ready for this challenge. It was a bit of a shocker putting in my meal plans on the tracker and finding out that I had grossly over calculated what I should eat.This will be an education.

My goals for August:

- be true to my self.
    - be honest in my logging of food
    - take one day at a time and don't beat myself up for slip-ups
    - try harder to get that exercise in daily
    - let my guys make their own meals some times
    - love myself

Cheers to all,
    Kate
  • janehadji
    Options
    I just have to share this with everyone, I had a bit of a break yesterday afternoon so I popped into Stein Mart and tried on a few things, I have gone from wearing a 1x shirt to a size large, woo hoo:happy: :happy: :happy: . All my shirts were just hanging on me and I'm always the one that says "don't wear baggy clothes, they just make you look bigger". I bought 5 new shirts and I'm loving the way I look in them!!!!!:bigsmile: . I'm looking forward to the day I will have to buy mediums!!!!!

Still getting used to this -- I missed the writing the comment part. Sorry! I meant to say congratulations on your new size of clothing.! That's always exciting, and Steinmart is a good place to shop. I think that one of the benefits of weight loss is the new wardrobe (if only I didn't have so many "new wardrobes" in my closet). It's summer clearance season, so a great time to be another size smaller... enjoy!
  • cpagan61
    cpagan61 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hi from Texas! I'd like to join this group for some support. I'm 51 and struggling daily with my emotional/stress eating. For the month of August my goals are:

Log every morsel of food
    Join a water aerobics class
    Slow down and enjoy the food I eat
    Lose 5 lbs or more.

Good luck to all of us as we work toward our goals!
    Cyndy
  • bclin
    bclin Posts: 10
    Options
    I like that one of your goals is to encourage one person a day to reach theirs. That is great! I believe I will make this a goal of mine also.....and you are the one I'm encouraging! You will be able to attain your goals today!!!! Hang in there:wink:
  • beestev
    beestev Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow! You described me - Postmenopausal, health problems, mobility limitations and a long way to go! I note you do chair eercises. What do you do? That's about all I can handle right now, but have to get moving.

Someone else mentioned consistency. That is a key! For the last 4-5 days I have been goofing off with "comfort foot." Don't know what i was comforting myself for. All it led to was that place where I feel so horrible, out of breath when walking any distance, sweating like a pig and feeling miserable. So I'm back. Off of work for a few days, so will start - baby steps.

My goals for August are:

Consistently record food journal.

By end of August have kitchen cleaned up so it is useable (yeh, it's a real mess).

Thank God every day that I am still alive and thus have a "second chance."
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello and enjoy these dog days fo Summer. August is very humid and hot here in Florida. But I love it. My goals are to eat healthier and get my run in 6 days a week. I jog both in deep water and as a roadrunner. I will begin training for my first 1/2 Marathon the third week of August. December 8th is the day. Very nervous but I have to try. :drinker: Here is to everyone goals.
    :heart: Patsy