Mantras for running / walking

Options

Replies

• akdoxrud
    akdoxrud Posts: 22
    Options
    I also sometimes use the Red Hot Chili Peppers', "Come on Girl, Let's get it right, let's get it right, let's get it right."
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I channel my Inner Harry Potter.

I think of the scene at the end of the Prisoner of Azkaban, when Harry used the time turner and was able to defeat the Dementors because he already did it.

When I get tired and the inner voice starts telling me I can't do it, I tell myself, "I KNOW I can do this because I've already done it!" I know I can run a 10k without stopping, because I've done it. I know I can run over 10 miles with walk intervals, because I've already done it. I know I could (but haven't yet) run a half marathon because I know after running 10+ I could have kept going.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    These are GREAT!!! Mine are "F* it, THIS I can do!" and "Pain is just weakness leaving my body"
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    "Don't look now but there's a huge, ravenous dog chasing us!"

hahahaha!! that is great.

I have major trouble with motivation/giving up before I meet my goal time. So I have two:

"You are stronger than you think"
    and
    "Your mind always gives up before your body does"

I used to always headf*ck myself out of reaching my goals and use pain as an excuse to stop but those two just work everytime.
  • sfields145
    Options
    Got this from my son from his cross country team - useful for going uphills...just keep repeating...

"KILL THE HILL"....

Makes me accelerate up the hill and pass when most people in a race are slowing down....
  • NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me and my obsessive compulsive issues, but when I'm climbing large, difficult hills, I count to 100 and then repeat as many times as necessary until I get to the top. It makes me realize that I'm making progress toward the top and that, however large the hill is, it's finite. If I'm on a sidewalk, I also sometimes count how many steps I take between the concrete dividers and challenge myself to keep up a pace that consistently minimizes the number of steps it takes.
  • secondlane
    secondlane Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump! thanks for such an inspirational discussion for my virgin 'reply' :happy:
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Mine is, "You're stronger than you think you are. Keep going. You can do this."

Simple, but it has a nice cadence in my head that works perfectly to the tempo of my feet hitting the ground, and helps me push through any discomfort and desire to quit. It works :)
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think of any of the bad food I ate that day or the day prior. I always think about how many calories I am burning while running & say to myself "bye bye cupcake" or "bye bye pie". Yes it sounds ridiculus but it seems to work for me & it keeps me from walking- LOL :blushing:
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    Options
    I bargain with myself in my head.

"Cmon....just one more lap - that's it."

By the end of a long run it's much smaller: "cmon now...just 20 more steps. You can make it 20 steps, right?"

When I still studied martial arts we did a cardio/aerobic/anaerobic training exercise called "Glorious 42 Steps".

You walk 42 steps, jog 42 steps, sprint 42 steps. Repeat till you pass out. The counting made it MUCH easier to get through the last few sets. And like Sifu Reid always said "you pass out before you die!"

:)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Mine is completely stupid compared to all of these awesome, inspiring posts...so now I feel silly- but I say ( in the Dorie voice from Nemo) "Just keep swimming" over and over in my head when I run and want to quit...Works everytime!!

I love this!! And I'll probably steal it.. :)

When I run, I mostly count as it helps me keep my pace and clear my mind of any negative thoughts. I have this horrible woman in my head who keeps telling me how slow I am and how hard this is and how walking is so much easier so I have to shut her out! And when it gets really tough I just keep convincing myself to "just get to that next light pole" and then I get there and keep going and then "just get to that next street sign" etc.
  • Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Happy. Healthly. Wealthy. Skinny- repeats over and over in my mind!
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When I used to play soccer as a kid and had to sprint down the field after one of the bigger guys my dad would yell from the sidelines (whether as a parent or assistant coach) "Dig Dig Dig". I just started working out again but when I walk/run and start to run I will see a marker and say I can make it there keep going and then I hear my dad "You got this - Dig Dig Dig - You can do it - Dig Dig Dig" :bigsmile:
  • twosons08
    twosons08 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I like that idea (counting steps on the elliptical.)
  • 29forever
    29forever Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mine is "Running is 90% mental, you can do this". For some reason I self talk in 3rd person when I run. I suppose it's the inner skinny person talking to the fat person. :)
  • meljofield
    Options
    Such a great idea. I usually repeat "Ok". It is my way of telling myself it will be fine just get thru it.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "mantra" per-say, but when I used to cycle (getting into running now) then I would always have a short, simple, catchy tune stuck in my head, and I would sing it to myself, in my head, at the pace I am riding/running at.

Songs would be something like "Bingo," "Old McDonald," or something I make up on the spot. I can repeat it to myself to keep my pace going throughout my entire run. I do it sub-consciously. Most of the time I don't realize I'm actually doing it until I've been doing it for a number of minutes. I then laugh at myself, and keep it goin!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    These are great! Thanks for all the new things to say while running...they're a lot better than what I've been saying.....Is this over yet? :grumble:
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Mine is completely stupid compared to all of these awesome, inspiring posts...so now I feel silly- but I say ( in the Dorie voice from Nemo) "Just keep swimming" over and over in my head when I run and want to quit...Works everytime!!

I love this one chick - so cute!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't as inspirational but:

"Hey Angie, run, that fat will go away."
    "Its only one more mile." (one mile later) "It's only one more mile, you can do this you can do this." (usually four miles later) "I might want to go home now."
    Envision finish line

Usually Bon Jovi "Bounce" or "Wanted Dead or Alive" keeps me running along with others.

During my three 5ks that I have ran so far, I just remember my mom who passed away and how dedicated she was to working out when i was younger and how proud of me she would be. I also then think of my son as well as my husband and i want to live longer for them.