MFP is NOT the holy grail

Options

Replies

• BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I realize sometimes my messages get lost in translation and I think most got it but speaking from personal experience, getting overly technical can become stressful and discourging.

I don't wanna see people giving up over formulas and technicalities.
    I hate when I see people give up because they aren't "losing fast enough" or they are comparing their goals and metrics to someone elses. It took longer than a week to put the weight on, it'll take longer than a week to take it off. Change takes time and hard work. But if you do the work, you'll see the results.

Keep in mind everyone is different and you have to make this work for YOU instead of trying to conform to someone else's plan.
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    And for heaven's sake STOP WHINING about how hard it is! JUST DO IT! Obviously if you’re here, the way you have been living your life has left you feeling like there is something missing or something that needs to be changed so stop your b!tching about how hard it is. Do you want a better future than past or not?

I don't have a promblem with people stating how hard it is for them, as long as they're actually doing something about it. Venting can be therapeutic.

This true. It is going to be hard for those of us who have never really taken fitness seriously. But if we're doing something about it, then at least let us have our little rants, and just feel free not to read them!

Amen. Kick, scream and cry your way through a workout like a 5-year-old in full temper tantrum mode...as long as you do the workout. ;)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Actually I think its because too many people forget that this is a site for checking your calories and getting advice and use it more for social networking.....Sexcapades.....ranting about dumb stuff like Cat Pee diet etc etc. Then they realized Crap I haven't really lost weight and now im caught up in some drama because some dude / chick hit on me but didn't tell me she / he was married and their spouse is on my case.

THIS IS FOR FITNESS PEOPLE
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    At times I get frustrated and discouraged (in general, not at MFP) but that's just part of how it goes. Some weeks I run like a madman, watch my calories, sodium, and nothing ... some weeks I think I did worse, and I lose ... it's a marathon, not a sprint ... I just focus on me, and my journey, and just try to stay on course.

Though when I'm frustrated ... I take it out on the pavement. It won't beat me ...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    And for heaven's sake STOP WHINING about how hard it is! JUST DO IT!

Strangely enough, as I lost weight over the last year and a half, people have constantly said to me, "Wow, you've worked so hard!" And I have to respond, "No I haven't!" By using MFP as a tool and some common sense, this has actually been quite simple. Please don't mistake the word "simple" for "easy," because it surely hasn't been easy, but it has been simple.
  • paulawolves71
    paulawolves71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i agree i go over a few times a week but so what and as for exercise calories i do eat them because its like sweating u drink water to replace water lost, so calories are ok to be eaten back but if i do i try not to go over my daily calorie intake for that day .
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I agree! Set your calorie goal, REACH IT, not STAY under, or WAY under. REACH it. Whether you eat back your cals or figure your activity into your goal already, just REACH the damn goal!!! lol
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    Actually I think its because too many people forget that this is a site for checking your calories and getting advice and use it more for social networking.....Sexcapades.....ranting about dumb stuff like Cat Pee diet etc etc. Then they realized Crap I haven't really lost weight and now im caught up in some drama because some dude / chick hit on me but didn't tell me she / he was married and their spouse is on my case.

THIS IS FOR FITNESS PEOPLE

I think you are quite right sir
    Great point
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    We don't need a holy grail...We've already got-a-one. Yeeesssssss-ah, It is Verrrrrrraaaaa Niccceeeee-AHHH!

(I told him we've already got-a one!)
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    Though when I'm frustrated ... I take it out on the pavement. It won't beat me ...

I LOVE THIS!!

Seriously wish I was more into running for that benefit!

Seriously, keep it up and great job
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Of course not. It's the cup of a carpenter.

"He chose . . . poorly."
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    What?! You mean to tell me I can't just log on here, still eat my cookies and chips and NOT lose weight?! Damn, news to me!!! Bahahahahaha!! :laugh:
  • BeingAwesome247
    Options
    So many of you have made me giggle this morning btw....thank you

Bacon is still awesome
    So is cheese

For those who have pushed through the pain and been just P!SSED about having to do a workout but did it anyways....
    YOU'RE TOTAL ROCKSTARS!!

I have angrily slammed my shoes on before, just b!tching the whole time getting ready to workout some days but SO THANKFUL I did afterwards.

Even if it's slow, if you're moving you're doing better than anyways sitting on their *kitten* right?! RIGHT
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i get what you mean and i'm there with ya. i've introduced MFP to a few coworkers, and really, only one is sticking with it, which makes me feel like proud mama bear! :smile: but the others just stopped trying. one quit after one day...ONE DAY...because it was too hard. yet, she still complains about her weight. well, HELLO!!! but you know what they say, you can lead a horse to water......
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly seeing people becoming discouraged on here because, quite simply, they are getting WAY TOO TECHNICAL with their weight loss!

It’s really quite simple: EAT HEALTHY & EXERCISE

...get your *kitten* off the couch daily and MOVE.

And for heaven's sake STOP WHINING about how hard it is! JUST DO IT!

Were we separated at birth, or did you just suck all of the thoughts out of my brain this morning? I agree completely! :drinker:
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Seems like you're more annoyed with your Facebook friends than people on MFP.

As far as MFP goes, I personally try to look at where they're coming from. It might be easy for people to stress over the numbers if they have never done calorie counting before. You're given this calorie number and then these other targets and I can see how it's easy for someone new to think that if they don't hit macro targets or go over they're doing something wrong.

I think one thing that contributes to freak outs is that many people starting out don't understand the numbers MFP gives to begin with, and then when they post everyone comes in with BMR, TDEE, don't eat below 1200, etc (yes, I understand TDEE and I don't personally follow MFP's daily recommendation anymore, but I think that just makes it harder for newbies - I think most of those starting out should follow MFP's plan, including eating back some exercise calories, and keep doing that until it no longer works). They really believe that going over their goal by 300 calories one day is going to undo their week and are not understanding the daily deficit they have, the added exercise deficit, and having to eat all that plus over maintenance to actually gain.

I dunno. I was the type of person who read A LOT of threads before posting anything. This helped me understand a lot that I didn't before. But that's generally how I work in real life too, especially when I'm learning something new or am in a new situation - I'm most often a quiet listener, I observe and listen and then contribute. Not everyone works that way.

BUT I do think that people often set their expectations too high and then come crashing down. And I find a lot of people are scared to try something different if what they are doing is no longer working. There's a great fear of gaining back a couple of pounds of whatever has been lost. I can understand that mentality, but I got over that a long, long time ago. I had a six month plateau and had to try multiple changes before my weight budged again.

A lot of this could be avoided if people actually read the stickies in the General Diet and Weight Loss section. There's a lot of great information there that explains MFP's numbers and talks about expectations and stuff. I personally think those stickies should be entirely in their own category that says "New Members Start Here to Learn More About MFP" or something like that.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    So true!!! I get a kick out of people who have been here for one week and say that it's not working because they haven't lost anything and according to MFP they should be losing 2lbs a week. It isn't carved in stone people! It's different for everyone! Relax! Just make the commitment be a healthier you and enjoy the ride!
  • amiscci
    amiscci Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Of course it's not the holy grail. It's merely a grail-shaped beacon.

BACON?? did you say BACON?
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut. \m/
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    Here here!!

I was one of those who gave up when it got too hard... Now I get up & exercise 6X a week at 6am, and 3 of those days are spend doing C25K (if you had told me I would be doing C25K three months ago I would not have believed you). I do get discouraged when my numbers don't add up, but I try to keep the attitude that it's for my health, not my looks! Eventually the two will converge, but health is most important, and for that end it must go slower. =)