Considering rehoming a husband.

Options
Bentley2718
Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
I have had this man for about 5 years total, although I only formally adopted him a year ago. Unfortunately, he is displaying a number of undesirable behaviors and I am considering rehoming him. I am trying to deal with the following behavioral problems:
1) He never puts his things away, instead he leaves them all over the place, usually on the floor.
2) He is very lax in doing his chores, for example, he will leave the dishes in the sink for days, even though we have agreed that when I cook, he will do the dishes.
3) He talks while I am trying to work at home--mind you, he isn't talking *to* me, he is just commenting out loud about whatever he is reading in a book or reading/doing online.
4) He constantly forgets to close doors, so our cats go places they aren't supposed to (e.g. the closet, or letting the unfriendly adult cat into the room with the kittens).
5) He yells at the screen while playing video games, but he swears he finds video games enjoyable/relaxing.

I really do care about him, I mean, he is like family, but I just don't know what to do about all of these problem behaviors.

Replies

• HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    shock collar.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Squirt bottle...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Sounds too well behaved to have been a rescue.... did you contact the breeder? I dare ya....

Yes, she recommended yelling at him--but this doesn't seem to be working well with his litter mate, who still lives with said breeder.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Sometimes having one neutered will straighten out many negative behaviours...is he marking the furniture?
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Rolled up newspaper and if that doesn't work - unplug the video games at a really important part.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If you leave a nice, warm glass of anti-freeze on the table next to his favorite recliner, along with some really dry, crumbly chips, that will take care of the problem nicely. Just be prepared for a few hours of thrashing around and vomiting blood.....

LL, that one is for you....
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Crate train him. If that doesn't work, contact the breeder and see if there's a take back policy. If not, find a shelter and tell yourself that will be better for him in the long run.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    shock collar.

Had it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You know you made a lifetime commitment to this husband, right? It's going to be difficult to rehome him with these behavior problems. How would you feel if the next person to take him had to put him down?

I say work with him. You could get one that poops on the bed.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Sounds too well behaved to have been a rescue.... did you contact the breeder? I dare ya....

Mine has all these qualities too, unfortunately the breeder seems to have created these behaviors :tongue:
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Do *not* contact the breeder. They are very territorial. Although they are likely aware of the issues you discuss, they will blame you for them.

I find that small rewards work best. Rewarding good behavior as opposed to punishing the bad is the best way to go.

I find husbands like beer, pizza, and cookies.
  • talon8
    talon8 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Leave the door open and maybe he won't find his way home.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Leave the door open and maybe he won't find his way home.

But remove his collar and microchip first!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    If you were in "heat" you could distract him.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    Squirt bottle...

With a little hot sauce added to the water!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    There's this place in Detroit that will buy them from you for fighting...

the weaker ones might become bait for the stronger to practice on though...so consider yourself warned :huh:
  • abcmom03
    abcmom03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Has he started licking himself?
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    These are great!:laugh:
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Lmao reading all these posts!!!! love it! Sorry no advice! lol
  • crooks_RN
    Options
    Take him out in the woods, open the car door, and drive off as fast as you can!