You CAN Spot Reduce

Options
I may get a lot of crap for this, but I am so tired of people saying you cannot spot reduce.
When someone asks, how can I lose inches off my stomach or asks for good arm exercises, please do not response "you cannot spot reduce".
Weight training and programs like the 30 Day Shred really do help you "spot reduce", You can lose inches in particular spots by doing particular exercises. Otherwise, why to we kill ourselves with push ups and crunches? It is because they work.
I have done 30 Day Shred several times and a lot of inches in places that were focuses on during the workouts.
Another example, if I only weight train with my arms and not my legs, I will see a big difference in my arm "spots" lol, and not my legs.
There is hope! You just have to work for it!

Replies

• gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

What your referring to is the building of muscle and changes to muscle fibers in those areas. You aren't actually necessarily reducing your fat content in those areas.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Oh, ok. My body must be magic then.
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I repeat, you can´t spot reduce.
  • Louttie
    Louttie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You definitely cant spot reduce, sorry.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.
  • elle18287
    Options
    Could any of you tell me why you think you cannot spot reduce? I have even had a trainer tell me "you can't spot reduce" is a myth.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    *Puts on seatbelt*
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Stop spreading misinformation.
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Oh, ok. My body must be magic then.

Sorry, you're "study" isn't exactly scientific.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I guess you are some genetic abnormality and you have managed to achieve what thousands of bodybuilders and fitness models have been unable to do in the last 50 years.
  • elle18287
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You CAN spot reduce with my miracle Unicorn Cream. It's $150 for a bottle of it. PM me if you are interested.

This statement has not been verified by the FDA. :wink:
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    2 different people above you told you WHY you can't.

All you are doing is toning up the muscles. To get rid of the actual fat, to reduce the fat you have to have cardio and clean eat. Crunches and weights build muscle..
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Also- the 30D shred is a lot of cardio so that is why you burn fat. It also tones the body by incorporating strength but there is a reason that she tells you not to take breaks during the workout. It's to keep your HR up so you burn fat.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Could any of you tell me why you think you cannot spot reduce? I have even had a trainer tell me "you can't spot reduce" is a myth.

Because exercising a tricep for example, does not encourage the body to burn fat from around the tricep area......that isn't how the body works.
    Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

Increasing muscle mass in a specific area is not the same as reuducing fat from a specific area, these are 2 completely difference things.

If i make my tricep twice as big, yes this is a bigger ratio of muscle/fat around that tricep -that is not the same a spot reducing.
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Could any of you tell me why you think you cannot spot reduce?.

Because when you work certain areas, your working certain muscles. Working muscles may burns fat but your body wont take it all from that area, because your body has absolutely no way of 'knowing' where you want the fat to go from.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You really cannot spot reduce. We all have pre-determined fat storage patterns and when we maintain a calorie defecit we lost body fat according to those patterns.

You'll probably know a friend who has really slim legs and bum but who's belly and chest are disproportionately larger. Or the other way around.

Certainly it can appear like your crunches are burning fat around the waist, but only because this is where you personally lose your fat from first. In fact it's fairly common for women to lose upper body fat before losing from bum and legs.

The proof that you can't spot reduce is readily visible; the part of our body that moves the most is undoubtedly the fingers. Pretty much everything we do has them bending and flexing away constantly. All the more so since the keyboard became the chief tool for many of us in our workplace. Obeserve any very overweight person (including your stereotypical computer geek) and you'll see sausage fat fingers. It spot reduction worked they would be nice and slim.

You cannot spot reduce.
  • elle18287
    Options
    I knew I would get a lot of crap for this, but I don't see any of you who are opposing me giving any examples of why you think the way you think . I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer. No need to be hateful.