You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Your answers are here:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/are-blood-flow-and-lipolysis-in-subcutaneous-adipose-tissue-influenced-by-contractions-in-adjacent-muscle-in-humans-research-review.html

Cliffs, although you should really read it as it's research based and Lyle is one of the best in the business. I'll put this in quotes too for clarity.

First let’s assume that you’re carying a whopping 5 kg (11.1 pounds) of fat in a specific area.

If local exercise can mobilize 0.6-2.1 milligrams of fat per 100 grams of fat mass, that works out to:

0.6-2.1 mg/100 grams * 1000 grams/kg * 5 kg = 30-105 milligrams of fat.

Or 0.03-0.1 gram of extra fat mobilized in 30 minutes of activity.

Now, a single pound of fat (0.454 kg) contains about 400 grams of fat so our hypothetical 11.1 pounds of fat contains 4,440 grams of fat. And 30 minutes of local activity mobilized at most 0.1 gram of fat. Whoo hoo. You’ll be ripped in about 1000 years.

OP: You cannot spot reduce to any significant degree. The best you can do is pretty much described in the article I linked and it pretty much says that you can create a slight increase in blood flow which can mobilize fatty acids but the amount of actual fatty acid oxidation from that specific area is negligible at best, as can be seen by the data.
  • saral89
    saral89 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Geez, this thread might be life-changing. If this is how annoying I sound when I'm arguing for my incorrect viewpoint, I'm going to go apologize to everyone I've ever known in my life. Starting with my wife.

that made me laugh out loud!
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Do your thing.....I agree with you; why would you even worry about what anyone else says.

because this is the interwebs, dammit

Hah.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I'll alert the media...hold please
  • elle18287
    Options
    I thought only balding men could spot reduce?

Hah.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You CAN spot reduce with my miracle Unicorn Cream. It's $150 for a bottle of it. PM me if you are interested.

This statement has not been verified by the FDA. :wink:

^THIS^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Oh, ok. My body must be magic then.

Apparently it is. Did you actually read what he wrote?
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You CAN spot reduce with my miracle Unicorn Cream. It's $150 for a bottle of it. PM me if you are interested.

Sign me up...I'll take 600 botles of that :embarassed:
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

ROFLMAO!!!!! good one!

Can I get some??? I will send you my banking info and my social security number!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I was just trying to share my experience that certain work out regimens really can help people work on their "spots". I ran for years and and lifted for years and still had stomach trouble spots until l I learned very specific ab moves. Those moves really helped my stomach.... a part of my body that never let fat go before!

This might also be a case of fat being held differently. From what I know (which is in no way a professional opinion), working on core exercises can greatly impact your posture and the way your body appears because you are building muscle that keeps you upright and gives more structure to that area. So you might be losing fat, you might not...but core exercises can make that area appear to be reduced. 30DS can do that, plus it can actually reduce your fat because it includes cardio and an overall workout which can help you achieve a calorie deficit.
  • McLifterPants
    McLifterPants Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I gave examples and I have discussed this with a trainer.

It's easy to think that a trainer is all-knowledgable about physiology, exercise and nutrition because when you start out into that area yourself they seem to know a lot more than you do. But as with any profession there is a huge range of ability and knowledge and experience. My opinion is that there are very few who are passionate and truly study this constantly advancing set of sciences and apply that learning and try to move it forward. There are many, many who have a minor foundation certificate in safe exercise form etc and do their 9-5 or whatever and actually don't know very much beyond that. That's how every field is.

Seconded. A trainer at MY gym told me I needed to use lighter weights. Based on absolutely nothing other than the fact that I am a female of slight build who was rowing around 65 lbs (which, btw, IS NOT THAT MUCH).
  • elle18287
    Options
    Do your thing.....I agree with you; why would you even worry about what anyone else says.

I only posted this to inform people about my experience. I know there are a lot of hopeless people out there for obsess over their flaws.
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    what appears to be spot reduction is actually an even fat loss over the body that is more obvious in areas where fat was "thinner" and/or you built/toned muscles. For instance my arms appeared toned and muscular first...because there was less fat to lose on them and I built the muscles up rapidly on my arms. This gives the idea that I "spot reduced" my arms first although actually the fat loss is over my entire body. So yes, you can see "spot reduction" in some areas before others due to how your fat is distributed and how you work out, but actually your fat loss is even over the body...pound for pound.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif

^I second this.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    "Because when you work certain areas, your working certain muscles. Working muscles may burns fat but your body wont take it all from that area, because your body has absolutely no way of 'knowing' where you want the fat to go from."

Someone should invent an app for this....they'd make millions being able to tell you body where to remove the fat :laugh:
  • elle18287
    Options
    I completely agree. I was just trying to share my experience that certain work out regimens really can help people work on their "spots". I ran for years and and lifted for years and still had stomach trouble spots until l I learned very specific ab moves. Those moves really helped my stomach.... a part of my body that never let fat go before!

This might also be a case of fat being held differently. From what I know (which is in no way a professional opinion), working on core exercises can greatly impact your posture and the way your body appears because you are building muscle that keeps you upright and gives more structure to that area. So you might be losing fat, you might not...but core exercises can make that area appear to be reduced. 30DS can do that, plus it can actually reduce your fat because it includes cardio and an overall workout which can help you achieve a calorie deficit.

That is interesting! Thank you for posting!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes you actually can spot reduce.

Aside from liposuction there are a few other methods - radiation, heat, microwave, high energy ultrasound can destroy tissue in a localized manner, liquify it and then let your body absorb it. This is of course HIGHLY TOXIC, DANGEROUS AND STUPID.

The reason I mention this? As a biomed engineer, I have seen some a few attempts of these devices - every single one of them was a very bad idea.

smi20.gif

carry on.
  • elle18287
    Options
    You can tone areas up by building muscle in said areas. When people say "you can't spot reduce" they mean that doing crunches over and over WILL NOT burn the fat off your stomach (I mean unless you incorporate into a cardio routine- now we're talking) It will only build up muscle so that it may look like you are slimmer but to lose that fat you have to do cardio and eat clean.

Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

What you said here is EXACTLY what people are telling you: You are NOT reducing fat in these areas, you are simple changing the RATIO of fat:muscle. More muscle = less fat per unit volume of muscle. You are NOT reducing fat in that specific area, you are simply adding more muscle!

Right, and losing inches in spots I never could before I started very specific exercises.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    It's a mutant!
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I don't think she listened to a single thing anyone said, besides the people that agree with her. I am more likely to believe the guy on here who is a certified personal trainer and has 16 years experience.