You CAN Spot Reduce

Options

Replies

• smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I do believe the other term for spot reduction is liposuction.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    An angel from heaven wishes that the OP read this, for great justice:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/397447-can-i-reduce-fat-from-a-specific-part-of-my-body

Thank you for posting this! A lot of good information in there!

And now read the link and the cliff notes provided by Sidesteal that explain that any possible spot reduction potential is negligible in the extreme.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I don't think you actually know what "spot reducing" is.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That's not spot reducing, that's building muscle. You CAN target which muscle you want to work. You CANNOT spot reduce fat. Maybe you'll look a little firmer and leaner with some extra muscle underneath, which is why strength training is important. But if I just do crunches, it doesn't mean I'm going to lose fat from that area. In all likelihood, I won't lose any fat, since strength training doesn't tend to be a huge fat burner in the first place.

Bingo! When I was doing crunches consistently was the last time I ever had a flat belly. My Dr. told me not to do them after my c-sections, so I waited.....15 years. buwhahaha....:tongue:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Of course you need to eat clean and burn fat with cardio, but you can build muscle in certain "spots" to improve the amount of muscle vs. fat in those spots.

I just hear so many people so frustrated with certain spots on their bodies and people are not giving them helpful info regarding how they can improve those spots.

The excerpt "but you can build muscle in certain spots" is the exact opposite of "spot REDUCE" and not at all what people are talking about when they use the term spot REDUCE. REDUCE fat and BUILD muscle are two different things in case you didn't know that.... what an idiot. sorry, I am not typically mean on these threads but you're just stupid.

Yeah, that was pretty mean. Can you give me your exact definition of spot reduction?

To reduce in a specific spot. Such as, my mid section is flabby so I'll do situps to target fat in my mid section to reduce the fact. That doesn't work by the way.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I spot reduced in a month! My pook disappeared:

179958_10151751504245607_165435170_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

0 lbs lost.

With that being said I just exercised and my middle decided to look better and my waist and butt measurements are the same, so not really :P My hips got smaller though, but that's not exactly what I was trying to do...

With that being said I think this is what most people mean by spot reduce "how do you get your stomach to look better" etc? Reduce in size in a spot, which can be done. They just don't know how to go about asking it. There are obviously ways if you look at some of the before and after pictures of some people on this forum. I think thats why the questions continue :P

Cardio. Strength training. *poof* I have no proof of this however, this is just what happened to me. I'd love to stalk some ripped person around for a while and figure out the how do you get this part to look better figured out :P
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Right, and losing inches in spots I never could before I started very specific exercises.

So you agree that you are NOT spot reducing.

Semantics
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

Oh, ok. My body must be magic then.

Indeed you are Tyler Dyrden's snowflake.

PS - You can't spot reduce.

PPS - I don't know why anyone kills themselves with the exercises they do. I just lift bars with plates on the ends in various ways and maybe walk on a treadmil a bit. I have never trained my abs directly (although I do plan to soon)
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I spot reduced! My pook disappeared:

179958_10151751504245607_165435170_a.jpg303367_10151751504375607_905840960_a.jpg

0 lbs lost.

With that being said I just exercised and my middle decided to look better and my waist and butt measurements are the same, so not really :P My hips got smaller though, but that's not exactly what I was trying to do...

With that being said I think this is what most people mean by spot reduce "how do you get your stomach to look better" etc? They just don't know how to go about asking it. There are obviously ways if you look at some of the before and after pictures of some people on this forum. I think thats why the questions continue :P

Cardio. Strength training. *poof* I have no proof of this however, this is just what happened to me. I'd love to stalk some ripped person around for a while and figure out the how do you get this part to look better figured out :P

This is exactly what I am talking about. Also, you look amazing! Go you!
  • LisaGore1
    Options
    I have major abs under my fat ....you just can't see them yet LOL
  • SVallatini
    Options
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif

LOL, this made my day! Thanks for sharing!
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ae6hcKBP1r17jgb.gif
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you've already been given the definition of spot reducing multiple times. it's reducing the percentage of fat in a certain area. it's impossible.

Close, but not quite. It's not reducing the percentage of fat, it's the raw amount of fat. If I somehow build 10 pounds of new muscle without losing a single ounce of fat, my body fat percentage has still gone down
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

0 lbs lost.

With that being said I think this is what most people mean by spot reduce "how do you get your stomach to look better" etc? They just don't know how to go about asking it. There are obviously ways if you look at some of the before and after pictures of some people on this forum. I think thats why the questions continue :P

Maybe it was because you stopped eating the Oreos in the first pic. Kidding.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

0 lbs lost.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Also, you look amazing! Go you!

She reduced her overall body fat and added muscle, she didn't "spot reduce".
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    That's not spot reducing, that's building muscle. You CAN target which muscle you want to work. You CANNOT spot reduce fat. Maybe you'll look a little firmer and leaner with some extra muscle underneath, which is why strength training is important. But if I just do crunches, it doesn't mean I'm going to lose fat from that area. In all likelihood, I won't lose any fat, since strength training doesn't tend to be a huge fat burner in the first place.

Bingo! When I was doing crunches consistently was the last time I ever had a flat belly. My Dr. told me not to do them after my c-sections, so I waited.....15 years. buwhahaha....:tongue:

LOL. To be honest, crunches barely work for me. I have to do some serious ab work to see results, but it is worth it! Feel free to friend me if you would like!
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    dis-gon-b-gud.gif

I was waiting on this :drinker:
  • CraigCooke
    CraigCooke Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the understanding is that spot reducing is not real outside of surgery? If you're on a calorie deficit combined with cardio and strength training you will lose weight and reduce your bodyfat thereby making your muscle more visible over time (re-composition) but you can't just target a region of your body and burn fat there first. If you say you're going to focus on your biceps or triceps for example and you increase the volume to those muscle groups while maintaining a calorie deficit and all of a sudden after a couple weeks you see more muscle definition then that's great but as far as relating it to spot reducing is a false-positive. You're more likely to burn fat around your arms before you would ab's for example.

Think about it. How many people do you see spending far too much time on ab machines and doing crunches in the gym that aren't even in the ballpark of having a 6-pack? If spot reducing were possible they'd be underwear models.

Be careful with most gym trainers, they're often not very good. Ninerbuff on this site is one of few trainers that I respect. I'm not saying that to insult your husband's business or whatever it's really just the truth. Getting a trainers certification just requires a little bit of $$$ and time, not real knowledge or experience.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

0 lbs lost.

Maybe it was because you stopped eating the Oreos in the first pic. Kidding.
    Actually I ate them immediately after the first pic, the whole box, I hit goal that day and had 1500 cals in oreos :P